Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tsunami warning for Japan

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Just had the below get to my mailbox. Friend sent it to me at 11:35.............................

TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 001
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 1130Z 15 NOV 2006

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR ALL AREAS OF THE PACIFIC BASIN EXCEPT
ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.

... A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT ...

A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR

RUSSIA / JAPAN

FOR ALL OTHER PACIFIC AREAS, THIS MESSAGE IS AN ADVISORY ONLY.

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS

ORIGIN TIME - 1114Z 15 NOV 2006
COORDINATES - 46.7 NORTH 153.5 EAST
LOCATION - KURIL ISLANDS
MAGNITUDE - 7.7

EVALUATION

IT IS NOT KNOWN THAT A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED. THIS WARNING IS BASED ONLY ON THE EARTHQUAKE EVALUATION. AN EARTHQUAKE OF THIS SIZE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO GENERATE A DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI THAT CAN STRIKE COASTLINES IN THE REGION NEAR THE EPICENTER WITHIN MINUTES TO HOURS. AUTHORITIES IN THE REGION SHOULD TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION IN RESPONSE TO THIS POSSIBILITY. THIS CENTER WILL MONITOR SEA LEVEL GAUGES NEAREST THE REGION AND REPORT IF ANY TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY IS OBSERVED. THE WARNING WILL NOT EXPAND TO OTHER AREAS OF THE PACIFIC UNLESS ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED TO WARRANT SUCH AN EXPANSION.

ESTIMATED INITIAL TSUNAMI WAVE ARRIVAL TIMES. ACTUAL ARRIVAL TIMES MAY DIFFER AND THE INITIAL WAVE MAY NOT BE THE LARGEST. THE TIME BETWEEN SUCCESSIVE TSUNAMI WAVES CAN BE FIVE MINUTES TO ONE HOUR.

LOCATION COORDINATES ARRIVAL TIME
-------------------------------- ------------ ------------
RUSSIA URUP IS 46.1N 150.5E 1139Z 15 NOV
PETROPAVLOVSK K 53.2N 159.6E 1224Z 15 NOV
SEVERO KURILSK 50.8N 156.1E 1229Z 15 NOV
UST KAMCHATSK 56.1N 162.6E 1249Z 15 NOV
MEDNNY IS 54.7N 167.4E 1251Z 15 NOV
JAPAN KUSHIRO 42.5N 144.5E 1219Z 15 NOV
HACHINOHE 40.5N 142.0E 1245Z 15 NOV
KATSUURA 35.1N 140.3E 1321Z 15 NOV
SHIMIZU 32.5N 133.0E 1434Z 15 NOV
OKINAWA 26.2N 127.8E 1535Z 15 NOV

BULLETINS WILL BE ISSUED HOURLY OR SOONER IF CONDITIONS WARRANT. THE TSUNAMI WARNING WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

THE JAPAN METEOROLOGICAL AGENCY MAY ALSO ISSUE TSUNAMI MESSAGES FOR THIS EVENT TO COUNTRIES IN THE NORTHWEST PACIFIC AND SOUTH CHINA SEA REGION. IN CASE OF CONFLICTING INFORMATION... THE MORE CONSERVATIVE INFORMATION SHOULD BE USED FOR SAFETY.

THE WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER WILL ISSUE BULLETINS FOR ALASKA - BRITISH COLUMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
seven stands said:
now 7.8 quake 1/15th of the boxing day one

The boxing day one was 9, your maths is shit !!!

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
is 2 metres quite a dangerous height. i know its a talll wave but how big was the asian one last time?

Depends on the depth of the water - a 2m wave coming up the beach by the pier where there's only 5-6m of water is scary, 2m wave in the middle of the Atlantic is nothing.

There's an equation about wave height vs. depth and how it breaks - although I wasn't paying enough attention and failed that question in my Divemaster exams.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
seven stands said:
tell sky not me. think the scale is not to the same scale as numbers get bigger ( i know what i mean ) :p
What he means is that when a earthquake is a richter scale 1, it is not 9 times weaker than a 9, it is many times weaker.

The curve is like the bottom right arc of a circle.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Japanese meteorologists say a tsunami of at least two metres (6.5 feet) high could hit Hokkaido and Honshu islands after 2110 (1210 GMT).

Warnings are being broadcast on all Japanese TV and radio stations advising people to move to higher ground.

It comes after an earthquake of at least 8.1 magnitude hit the Kuril Islands, north of Japan.

The earthquake struck about 390km (240 miles) east of Iturup, known as Etorofu in Japan, at 1115 GMT, the meteorological agency said.

Other smaller waves may batter the Pacific coast of Japan over the next hour, the agency said.

from the bbc who arent getting as excited as sky news are

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
REDLAND said:
The boxing day one was 9, your maths is shit !!!

No it isn't, the Richter scale isn't relative. An 8.0 is not double the intensity of a 4.0

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sky will probably end up blaming this on the rising cost of fuel and, therefore, Osama Bin Laden.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
its a logarithmic scale - the graph created by plotting power with the numbers on the scale shows exponential growth. Interestingly a 12.0 on the Richter Scale would split the earth in two - the biggest ever recorded was 9.5 in Chile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here