Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trying to buy a ticket for tonights game... (The before)

As for the P&R issue though - if people can pick up tickets at the ground (without a travel voucher) then buying ticket at the ground instead is really no different.

Oh yes it is. You can use the P&R's currently without having a ticket/travel voucher in your hand by telling the bus steward you are collecting match tickets at the ground. There is therefore no need to check tickets as you enter the P&R because everyone has already bought one - wouldn't this need to change if there were a "pay on the gate" option? Every car getting stopped, possible tailbacks to the A23.....................................

Btw, "...surely there must be some way around it" is a cop-out; why don't you look back at why these conditions are imposed by BHCC and then try to contribute something sensible.

and just ordered. So no excuse and all the club's avenues are avilable.

tho not quite sure which block I'm sitting in as the receipt says

Sections:
South Stand Centre - Blocks H,G,F,E,D,C,B

presumably the printed ticket will say but could be interesting..........

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oh yes it is. You can use the P&R's currently without having a ticket/travel voucher in your hand by telling the bus steward you are collecting match tickets at the ground. There is therefore no need to check tickets as you enter the P&R because everyone has already bought one - wouldn't this need to change if there were a "pay on the gate" option? Every car getting stopped, possible tailbacks to the A23.....................................

Btw, "...surely there must be some way around it" is a cop-out; why don't you look back at why these conditions are imposed by BHCC and then try to contribute something sensible.

If you can tell the P&R that you are 'picking up tickets at the ground', how is it any different to telling them 'you are buying tickets at the ground'?

:shootself

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
and just ordered. So no excuse and all the club's avenues are avilable.

tho not quite sure which block I'm sitting in as the receipt says

Sections:

Can't buy U21 tickets though - what a load of old cock.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If you can tell the P&R that you are 'picking up tickets at the ground', how is it any different to telling them 'you are buying tickets at the ground'?

:shootself

Are you being deliberately THICK... the club know how many tickets have been ordered in advance for collection at the ground and can ensure appropriate P&R services / stewarding / policing etc...

:thud:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The trouble with going the way of pay on the gate, ignoring the planning issues, is that people would use that as a preference. This will have various knock on effects in that traffic within Westdene/Withdean will increase as buying beforehand would decrease, policing/stewards etc. etc. There is also a question as to whether it would be cost effective for the last two (god willing) seasons.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Are you being deliberately THICK... the club know how many tickets have been ordered in advance for collection at the ground and can ensure appropriate P&R services / stewarding / policing etc...

:thud:

Well they don't know how many tickets have been ordered in advance if tickets are available online "until 1 minute before kick off"

Who's being thick?:salute:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sections:

Thats why I don't like buying online. I like to specify the block I sit in (usually D) but you can't seem to be able to do that online. I ordered online once and got allocated 2 tickets that weren't even next to each other!

Saying that, I generally phone each week for tickets, and I have never had any major problems. Phoned earlier today to get 2 tickets for Saturday and got through in about 5-10 mins and got the tickets I wanted. No problem.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
You have to remember too that all 9000 or so tickets were up for sale for todays game.
Although the crowd may be smaller than usual, the club may only sell 1000 for a league game. Where as for today they will have to sell twice, maybe three times that amount over the phone, and thats why the lines are busy for such a "crap" game.

Well they don't know how many tickets have been ordered in advance if tickets are available online "until 1 minute before kick off"

Who's being thick?:salute:

It's only up to 30 minutes before isn't it?

The point is that the club always have a good idea in advance of the game of the likely crowd. If it was pay on the gate that would leave an awful lot more to chance, which could have knock on effects both ways. Less people than expected - possibly paying more staff than needed, more people than expected = potential security and safety issues.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It may help if people didn't all decide to buy tickets on the day of the game. Tickets have been on sale for weeks.

I would imagine it's not practical for the club to employ huge numbers of staff just for the day of the game
But some people don't know their plans that far in advance. I've only known for definite since yesterday that I won't have to go to a meeting in Bedford today.

And Titanic, yes, call me King Impatient of the Impatient People but four minutes in a queue IS too long. I might expect that if I were ringing up to complain about my gas bill but I want to BUY something. The technology exists in this day and age (like for cinemas) for these calls to be INSTANT and to be dealt with automatically. Four minutes is unacceptable, and I know from bitter experience that that is one of the better timings. I've said before on here that I've given up trying to buy tickets on a Saturday morning as I have NEVER got through in that time. (I haven't even mentioned the queue at the ground to pick up the tickets).

If I go to a game tonight it will be Lewes.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
But some people don't know their plans that far in advance. I've only known for definite since yesterday that I won't have to go to a meeting in Bedford today.

I appreciate that some people only know that they can get to the game at short notice, but this is not the case for most people. I cant' believe that 70% of the crowd tonight only decided to go this morning. If you are in that minority, I don't think four minutes is a bad price to pay.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I appreciate that some people only know that they can get to the game at short notice, but this is not the case for most people. I cant' believe that 70% of the crowd tonight only decided to go this morning. If you are in that minority, I don't think four minutes is a bad price to pay.

Personally, i'm booking them today because i was waiting for the forecast on this ridiculous weather....and have now decided to book for the north and stay dry.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There are proven and cost-effective ticketing systems available and widely used. There really is no excuse for BHA to have to make people queue. However, I can understand why they would be reluctant to invest in these if they are moving grounds soon.

There is so much wrong with the arrangements at Withdean, but it should start to be addressed when we move.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Personally, i'm booking them today because i was waiting for the forecast on this ridiculous weather....and have now decided to book for the north and stay dry.

Why is fine. I's sure you will feel the queue was worth the wait when you stay dry and the rest get pissed on

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Took me about ten minutes, which does seem a bit excessive, especially when calling from a mobile.

Peeved to be charged a £2 booking fee when using a DEBIT card, and then unable to RENEW my blue membership.

Staff were pleasant, but danger of losing too many punters tonight if not prepared to wait so long for phone to answer

Overall satisfaction rating 4/10

There is so much wrong with the arrangements at Withdean, but it should start to be addressed when we move.

Won't there be exactly the same limitations on ticket sales at Falmer?

I'm sure the club would love the option of pay on the day-both at Withdean and Falmer: without always having to jump through the planning consent hoops. I'm sure it will be better at Falmer with the proposed ticket sales at railway stations (is that still in the plans?) on the day. Generally it doesn't concern me being a STH but I'd like to see options for people who decide around 11 am on a Saturday that they'd like to watch The Albion because they are the ones we need to win back. I'm not being critical of the club by the way-just looking at overcoming the crap they have to go through to get bums on seats. Path of least resistance is always the favourite of the floating supporter...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here