Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes, we've all read 1984 you ****ing moron. Nothing in it backs up your support of Donald Trump. For god's sake. Someone bring the men in white coats......

quoting Orwell when defending Trump is a new low. For anyone.

I don't support and have never said that I support Donald Trump.

I quoted George Orwell on doublespeak in response to what was in my opinion a good example of doublespeak. It's not a defense of Trump, it's a criticism of the person I was responding too. Those aren't the same thing.

Thanks for calling me a moron, swearing at me, and suggesting I am suffering from some kind of psychological illness. You might not agree with me, but whatever happened to respectfully disagreeing?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I quoted George Orwell on doublespeak in response to what was in my opinion a good example of doublespeak.

Thanks for calling me a moron, swearing at me, and suggesting I am suffering from some kind of psychological illness. You might not agree with me, but whatever happened to respectfully disagreeing?
Yeah I may have gone over the top and I apologise for that.

But please, stop writing complete rubbish.

Your standpoint appears to be "believe absolutely nothing" despite most of what people are believing are THE WORDS COMING OUT OF TRUMP'S MOUTH.

So just stop. It's unseemly.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink."
- George Orwell, 1984

So instead of having another go at explaining it, you go and quote someone else :lolol:

Genius!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yeah I may have gone over the top and I apologise for that.

But please, stop writing complete rubbish.

Your standpoint appears to be "believe absolutely nothing" despite most of what people are believing are THE WORDS COMING OUT OF TRUMP'S MOUTH.

So just stop. It's unseemly.

Thanks for apologising, although it's not rubbish in my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't write it. What you mean is you disagree with what I said.

I am not saying believe absolutely nothing either. I assume you are making the same point which I was responding to, that the press quoted Trumps own words?

You can quote a person honestly, and you can quote a person dishonestly.

For example, "You should not commit murder".

"Commit murder", he said. Accurate words? Yes. An honest quote? Obviously not.

I don't "support Trump", it just shocks me how low people will stoop to oppose what they consider to be low themselves. How unethical people will get when fighting someone or something they oppose because they think them to be unethical. - That is Nietzsche's "Beware when fighting Monsters" -. How people will willfully lie, about a liar, because lying is wrong, but also Ok. - That is Orwell's doublethink -.

I am trying to argue against stooping to the level of the thing you think you are fighting, because you are simultaneously becoming the thing you hate, and losing all moral credibility in the process.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Presumeably Spence, DingoDull and Tyrone Diddums play a Trump-based game of Soggy Biscuit where they compete to unload into a Make America Great Again cap.

My money's on Spence at the moment

Disappointing to see a moderator post something like that to be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I quoted George Orwell on doublespeak in response to what was in my opinion a good example of doublespeak. It's not a defense of Trump, it's a criticism of the person I was responding too. Those aren't the same thing.

The problem with Donaldino is he doesn't get himself misquoted due to doublespeak, he gets hung out to dry because he's almost incoherent unless he's talking about himself.

This was a prime example the run up was nonsensical until the key moment when he said his first "I" from that point on he's incredibly comfortable.

So the message, such as it is, gets lost when backed up with an onslaught of self-aggrandizing.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for apologising, although it's not rubbish in my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't write it. What you mean is you disagree with what I said.

I am not saying believe absolutely nothing either. I assume you are making the same point which I was responding to, that the press quoted Trumps own words?

You can quote a person honestly, and you can quote a person dishonestly.

For example, "You should not commit murder".

"Commit murder", he said. Accurate words? Yes. An honest quote? Obviously not.

I don't "support Trump", it just shocks me how low people will stoop to oppose what they consider to be low themselves. How unethical people will get when fighting someone or something they oppose because they think them to be unethical. - That is Nietzsche's "Beware when fighting Monsters" -. How people will willfully lie, about a liar, because lying is wrong, but also Ok. - That is Orwell's doublethink -.

I am trying to argue against stooping to the level of the thing you think you are fighting, because you are simultaneously becoming the thing you hate, and losing all moral credibility in the process.
Shut up. You are still talking utter rubbish. It's not disagreeing with an opinion, it's disagreeing with total insanity.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Shut up. You are still talking utter rubbish. It's not disagreeing with an opinion, it's disagreeing with total insanity.

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth."
- Unattributed

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
- Unattributed

"Using random quotes from other people to explain your point is the sign of weakness, failure and an inability to communicate. If people don't understand what you are trying to say in the first place, don't hide behind someone else's words, use your own."

Greg Bobkin, 2020.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Using random quotes from other people to explain your point is the sign of weakness, failure and an inability to communicate. If people don't understand what you are trying to say in the first place, don't hide behind someone else's words, use your own."

Greg Bobkin, 2020.

I haven't posted any random quotes. Unless you aren't familiar with the meaning of the word, "random"?

“The wisdom of the wise, and the experience of ages, may be preserved by quotation.”
- Issac D’Israeli

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"no, no,
no, no, no, no,
no, no, no, no,
There's no limit"

- 2 Unlimited.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
"no, no,
no, no, no, no,
no, no, no, no,
There's no limit"

- 2 Unlimited.

Can picture you, busting some shapes, in your roll neck, blue blazer and cream chinos...... looking like a recruiter for the Sussex branch of the Rick Astley fan club.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
- Unattributed

Is that why so many right-wingers are so furious, because their leaders keep lying to them?

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019

Good grief. And people accuse the left of hyperbole! An article that takes the idea of a commission, which is designed to try and learn from mistake made in the past and heal divisions, is being compared to the French revolution and the guillotine! Utterly laughable stuff.

But ignoring that, let's try and look at this more rationally: Should the lies, conspiracy theories, threats to democracy, and racism of Trump be allowed to happen again? Or is all fair in Politics?

Trump started off with the birther conspiracy theory (yes, before he stood but he was laying the ground work), a completely racist conspiracy with no basis in reality. He then falsely accused people seeking asylum into the US of being rapists and murderers. Then there's the numerous questioning of the democratic process, and the free press. And many, many more things....should that be allowed to stand?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here