Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It was the same here with Corbyns hate fuelled mob.

But seriously, ask yourself this honestly. How many new voters is Trump going to get.

Those that voted democrat or independent in 2016 who now after 4 years of Trump, like what they see, think they got it wrong and have become supporters?

Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 by over 3 million, he just scraped the win on the electoral college.

Do people really believe he's added non supporters from 2016 to his side after this past 4 years?

Of course he has his die hards, but the many swing voters willing to give him a go in 2016 won't stay with him. He'd need them all, to just keep his 2016 marginal win majority.

In 2016 he won white woman by 47% to Clinton's 45%. (And lost women of colour) This time Biden is up over 20% in the white woman demographic.

I just don't see where a trump win comes from, except by fraud.

There has certainly been a narrative about his Presidency which would make you think he should have less support today than he did before he was elected.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm not, by the way, saying that I expect him to win. As others have said, it seems 50/50 to me right now.

But as to whether or not people will have liked the last four years or not, to some extent it depends how much attention they are paying.

I'm sure I could make a long list of things he has said or done of which many people will disapprove, including me. But not many of those are actually substantive policies, most of that is statements and general personal appeal (or lack of). Those things count for something, sure. But I imagine a lot of voters care more about substance than style. Obama had the style, but he didn't have the substance, and (I think) most people consider him an utterly charming and charasmatic disappointment as President, because policy matters, it's what affects peoples lives. "TV politics" is a bit of an empty sideshow in comparison.

Here a few things off the top of my head, which have impressed me, and I would imagine matter to a lot of voters. It's not just that they may want four more years of this (even if they would rather not four more years of the other stuff), but also they don't really know what they will get if they put in another establishment career politician like Biden. Back to the old ways isn't very appealing for a lot of people.

+ No new wars and a winding down of the existing ones. (That's a big one for me, and possibly the biggest)

+ Signed the First Step Act - (Also a big deal IMO) The first actual substantive attempt at Criminal Justice reform, something greatly needed for a very long time, especially to reduce some of the damage which has been done over the years to the African American community. This includes a) reducing mandatory minimum sentences and expanding the discretion Judges can use in sentencing, and b) a significant increase in commutations. It also includes a lot of work getting former felons back into work, something which has long been a real problem, and other things like Improvements for conditions for pregnant women in prison, banning restraints among other things, again things which long have been a problem undealt with.

Plenty on the Economy too:
+ Reduction in Taxes
+ Economic Growth
+ Low Unemployment
+ Rising wages
+ Lower levels of poverty
A lot of these things have seen particular improvements in the African American community, and while there has been a positive trend in a lot of these measures going back before this Administration, they have either continued to improve or have accelerated under Trump.

He's done some other reasonably impressive things too, and a bunch of things which not everyone can agree with too.

He has certainly been a consequential President, and it certainly hasn't been all bad.

It might even be the case that he has satisfied his existing voters while also bringing others on board.

It's hard to say, anyone admitting to liking him is almost certain to be attacked, I wouldn't be so sure that he has suffered a net loss of support after his first four years though. They have arguably been pretty successful, and it is very clear that some of the narrative that he is a terrible President is driven by a media community which loathes him with a passion.

Obviously I have no idea who will win, but I certainly wouldn't write him off, especially with voters who care more about the consequences of policy than about the drama/theatre of politics as presented on TV.

(This is all not to mention that the political left have hardly covered themselves in glory in recent years, I think they have turned off a lot of centrist and independant voters, and that is a bed entirely of their own making IMO. The big thing that the liberal left always had going for them for me was tolerance and free expression, and whether that has changed or I was just mistaken, that idea is well and truely out of the window)

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When they got the polls wrong last time they looked at possible reasons why. One was the 'silent Trumps'. This sounded like a rather nasty medical condition to me, but apparently it was the voters who identified as Hillary supporters when asked by the polling companies or their friends, but pressed the Trump button in the privacy of the voting stations. It seems they had reasons, professional or personal, for doing so. What that margin of error was is anybody's guess but it clearly exists and is another reason for not getting too complacent about what the polls are currently showing .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep you'll not find me raising a glass to Sleepy Joe.

That's something else Trump has given us, he's dramatically changed the English language, no mean feat for someone who struggles with it.

As it's been mentioned Florida is one of the key states and I'm sure will be focused on as a barometer for the election.

Trump will win, but his margin of victory will determine if he stays in the WH, argues as the de facto President for 3 long weeks of postal vote counting, or is on a plane out of there by sundown.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Fair enough. Out of all the swing states Florida is the one i'm most confident Trump will romp home with. That is my number 1 pick

We'll see. Apparently Biden has a substantial lead among the millions of votes cast in Florida so far. Not sure how they know that, but that is what I've heard.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We'll see. Apparently Biden has a substantial lead among the millions of votes cast in Florida so far. Not sure how they know that, but that is what I've heard.
Florida state law allows for mail in ballots to be processed, but not counted, before election day.

So sadly that's bollox.

But because they can being the process early, some states can't, it does mean, as said the Florida result may well be know on the 3rd making it THE state to follow.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Calling people who support Trump racists, bigots, sexists etc was never going to win them over, it just makes them keep their support to themselves until election day.

I've seen people on the left treat Trump supports in ways which are unbelievable, screaming at them, attacking them, often just for wearing the wrong t-shirt or hat, or just for going out and peacefully campaigning for their candidate.

For all the sh*t the right gets, I've never seen people get that kind of treatment for wearing a t-shirt or campaigning for a Democratic candidate.

It's really odd to me, because people on the right get accused, pretty frequently, of being facists and nazis, yet the behavior of people on the left often involves politically motivated violence & aggression in ways unmatched on the right.

I genuinely wish both sides would hear each other out, talk about their differences of opinion, and maintain a degree of respect for people with opposing views. It isn't that way, and it's, by a large margin, mostly people on the left who seem unwilling or unable to accept opposing views. Whatever the faults of some people on the right, I'd personally rather not see power in the hands of people who behave like that.

This old canard dressed up in reasonable post clothing.
What is a fact is that the Department of Homeland Security has stated that the most dangerous terrorist threat facing the U.S. is of a right wing/white supremacist bent.
I mean, you really don't need the DoHS to point that out. It's obvious to anyone who isn't trying to paint the threat from the right as anything but very violent and very dangerous.
It's kind of funny that you mention people getting treated badly over wearing the wrong t-shirt, when a good size of Trump supporters will beat you down over having the wrong coloured skin.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I cant decide if you're the biggest idiot the world has ever seen or an absolute genius

People used to say 'thick as mince' a fair bit. These days, you're more likely to hear 'thick as Spence' used.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As it's been mentioned Florida is one of the key states and I'm sure will be focused on as a barometer for the election.

Trump will win, but his margin of victory will determine if he stays in the WH, argues as the de facto President for 3 long weeks of postal vote counting, or is on a plane out of there by sundown.

I’d bet on Florida dumping the Orange bungle****. Last time out very close when Trump had help from the Russians.
98858528-82D9-4A9E-BC63-EA175C31FA33.jpeg

Very close when Bush won by 537 in 2000.
Poll of polls showing 50% Biden Trump 48%

I predict a Floridian turnaround....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’d bet on Florida dumping the Orange bungle****. Last time out very close when Trump had help from the Russians.
View attachment 129556

Very close when Bush won by 537 in 2000.
Poll of polls showing 50% Biden Trump 48%

I predict a Floridian turnaround....
I will never, ever predict what FloridaMan will do:-

[tweet]1316525833511555072[/tweet]

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This old canard dressed up in reasonable post clothing.
What is a fact is that the Department of Homeland Security has stated that the most dangerous terrorist threat facing the U.S. is of a right wing/white supremacist bent.
I mean, you really don't need the DoHS to point that out. It's obvious to anyone who isn't trying to paint the threat from the right as anything but very violent and very dangerous.
It's kind of funny that you mention people getting treated badly over wearing the wrong t-shirt, when a good size of Trump supporters will beat you down over having the wrong coloured skin.

You say my post wasn't really reasonable, then you conflate the extreme right with people who vote for Trump. Anything I said about the left was about the ordinary everyday liberal, I didn't and I won't conflate the extreme radical left with the vast majority of the liberal left. That would be unreasonable.

What is this "good size of Trump supporters" who will be violently racist? Where did you get that impression from?

Do you realize that 38% of 18-24 year old black voters support Trump?

There are a majority of voters on both sides of the political spectrum who are reasonable and sincere in what they believe, but here's a question, how many reasonable and sincere Trump voters have you ever listened to, or heard given a fair hearing in the media? Based on what you are saying, I would assume not many. Do you think they don't exist? Perhaps they do and you have never been exposed to their views and their reasoning. You should listen to opposing view points, as things stand you have a tremendously warped view of things. It could be that you are intolerant of other views, but it might also just be because of the media bubble which presents a distorted reality.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
There are a majority of voters on both sides of the political spectrum who are reasonable and sincere in what they believe, but here's a question, how many reasonable and sincere Trump voters have you ever listened to, or heard given a fair hearing in the media?

It depends on your definition of reasonable, i suppose. I've met and talked to Trump supporters who voted for him because the ACA made their health insurance really expensive, and some who are close to retirement, and think he'll do better for their 401k. While that might sound two reasonable things to vote for someone, to me, the fact they have to ignore Trump's racism, misogyny, attacks on democracy, attacks on women's rights, trans rights and gay rights to do so, make it unreasonable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I too cynical or does anyone else think there's a word missing, from what Trump actually wanted to say?

[tweet]1317800028321230848[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It depends on your definition of reasonable, i suppose. I've met and talked to Trump supporters who voted for him because the ACA made their health insurance really expensive, and some who are close to retirement, and think he'll do better for their 401k. While that might sound two reasonable things to vote for someone, to me, the fact they have to ignore Trump's racism, misogyny, attacks on democracy, attacks on women's rights, trans rights and gay rights to do so, make it unreasonable.

you need to accept that people dont vote on the same issues that you want them to. thats the joy and flaw of democracy.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

For a racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic President, he has a significant amount of support from women and the black, gay and trans community.

If he really was those things you suggest he is, he'd have a following comprised entirely of straight white men who are also those things. But that's not the case. Either his supporters who don't fit your narrative are all wrong, or you are?

Last edited:

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
For a racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic President, he has a significant amount of support from women and the black, gay and trans community.

If he really was those things you suggest he is, he'd have a following comprised entirely of straight white men who are also those things. But that's not the case. Either his supports who don't fit your narrative are all wrong, or you are?

What a baffling argument: that you can discount the proven racist comments because around 10% of black people support him.

I'm also unsure you understand the meaning of the word 'significant'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here