Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trouble at Half time

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Would the game have been a sell out without the Leeds supporters in the home end?
As long as they keep quiet, it's more income for the club.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
But they didn't, hence the problems.

One or two people, granted.

I reckon there were scores of them who did keep quiet.
Albion fans do it, as admitted on here.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
And that's fine - as you say, we've all done it - but you're asking for trouble celebrating away goals in the middle of a load of home fans. They had to be removed, as I see it.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
portlock seagull said:
Not sure about about the Racism link??? But sorry Chez, don't agree with away fans not being able to sit with home because where do you draw the line? Not talking about people turning up in Leeds shirts with a yorkshire pudding on their head waving banners with Emmerdale Farm are magic on them. But someone who's simply sitting with a friend from Brighton and simply claps their goals? Some people get annoyed by anything and that's their problem not the fan from another club. Christ have seen Brighton fans turning on themselves plenty of time. Obviously none of my sporting sentiments apply to Palace. They're scum and shouldn't be allowed in the city let alone Withdean......

Perhaps the clapping reference was going a bit far. I dont have a problem with an away fan sitting in the home end if he keeps himself to himself - in fact as far as clapping is concerned Ive been known to applaud an opposing teams goal if it warranted it. But looking at it in the bigger picture wouldnt it be better just to remove them to their own stand? This would get rid of the problem we had yesterday when innocent people were injured. Of course you can do what you suggest and remove the Brighton fan that has the problem with it but you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be another Brighton fan ready to take his place. Easiest solution is to make sure it is home fans only - that way you eliviate the problem all together.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
chez said:
Perhaps the clapping reference was going a bit far. I dont have a problem with an away fan sitting in the home end if he keeps himself to himself - in fact as far as clapping is concerned Ive been known to applaud an opposing teams goal if it warranted it. But looking at it in the bigger picture wouldnt it be better just to remove them to their own stand? This would get rid of the problem we had yesterday when innocent people were injured. Of course you can do what you suggest and remove the Brighton fan that has the problem with it but you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be another Brighton fan ready to take his place. Easiest solution is to make sure it is home fans only - that way you eliviate the problem all together.

The EASIEST solution is for everyone involved to grow up. If a person seriously can't watch a game of football sitting next to someone who supports the opposing team then they have a real problem. I also can't see how they get through modern life without getting into daily 'did you spill my pint?/you starin' at my bird' type confrontations.

If that person starts to abuse people or incite a riot, then they should be chucked out, but this would be the case if they were an Albion fan as well.

gts big bruv

Apr 15, 2004
Tavistock
Yorkie said:
One or two people, granted.

I reckon there were scores of them who did keep quiet.
Albion fans do it, as admitted on here.

There were two or three just along from us at the back of H block One gave a little Stiffled cheer when the penalty went in .
and a dad and his young boy about three rows down from us. The young lad looked a bit scared when the goal went in ! they were all just there to see the game . it really does not matter to me personally who they support as long as they pay and do not cause any trouble . A few years ago we had some Sunderland supporters next to us and we al had a good time with a bit of banter.No trouble just made the day more enjoyable .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last season we were in the North Stand and the four seats in front of us invariably were used by away fans.

QPR - give away was mobile wall paper, OK kept themselves to themselves.

Leeds - nice people but totally pi$$ed off with their teams performance.

Sunderland - mortified at shit performance but fine.

West Ham - one larged it totally and ended being thrown out but one who was neutral supported us towards the end.

I don't see this as an issue there were Leeds fans in the family stand providing they show respect.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
gts big bruv said:
. A few years ago we had some Sunderland supporters next to us and we al had a good time with a bit of banter.No trouble just made the day more enjoyable .

Last season there were 2 Sunderland supporters over from Finland next to Ned & I. They tried hard not to show who they were supporting. :D

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
DJ Leon said:
The EASIEST solution is for everyone involved to grow up. If a person seriously can't watch a game of football sitting next to someone who supports the opposing team then they have a real problem. I also can't see how they get through modern life without getting into daily 'did you spill my pint?/you starin' at my bird' type confrontations.

If that person starts to abuse people or incite a riot, then they should be chucked out, but this would be the case if they were an Albion fan as well.
well said Sir.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Inclined to agree with Easy on this.

Yes, it is very annoying if you find yourself sat next to an away fan in your section cheering because his team scored. Many people might even have a word with said fan when their allegiance became obvious.

But it's pathetic to go out and physically threaten the guy with a good shoeing just for that. People who disagree- do you walk down the street and punch passers by because they're wearing Liverpool shirts, or give political canvassers a sound beating because they're wearing a Conservative ribbon in your street and you've always voted Labour? I hope you weren't at the Ashes cricket series in the summer, or the recent Rugby internationals, or the streets would be littered with bruised and battered Australians. But they'd deserve it, wouldn't they, cos they sat in "our" end!!

I've heard countless people on here gloating about how they've got tickets for the away end when our tickets have sold out at whatever ground, and I bet they're some of the same people who are the first to run to the stewards when they find away fans in the home sections at Withdean. It's one thing to get annoyed, but to squeal to the police or stewards just because someone's sitting there that you don't like seems a bit childish and shows a lack of control on the part of some people.

As an aside, frankly, at the final whistle yesterday, I'd have LOVED to be sitting next to any Leeds fans

:clap2: :clap2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brightonfan_86 said:
Let's just say if we where playing Cardiff? and there where Cardiff fans in our stand, The situation could of got out of hand.

Didn't that happen and someone poured coke on the Cardiff fan? And then his lady friend was swearing for Britain, whilst getting relocated or thrown out....

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
hitony said:
I live about 15 miles from Cardiff (Im Brighton through and through) but I bet if I wanted home tickets for just about any game, I could get them.

Go on, you know you want to.....

:thumbsup:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
DJ Leon said:

If that person starts to abuse people or incite a riot, then they should be chucked out, but this would be the case if they were an Albion fan as well

Exactly :clap:

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I cannot think of one game that I have watched at Withdean where an away fan was in the same block, this has even included my old man, who although he has never been there is a Wolves fan.

I'm with Easy and a few others on this one. I hope one day that we will be like a rugby crowd, where beer is served during the game, and opposition fans are next to one another.

Yes I do like singing, and shouting with Krispies. But we have had some terriic laughs with opposition fans in H, and for the first season D block, when the interlope. In some ways I hope it continues. We then enjoy a reputation as a friendly club, and get a decent welcome from all concerned when we go away. Which we seem to for the most part.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Firmly in Easy 10's camp here. I've only ever been in the home end of another team one before. It was at York (so not exactely Millwall) and we were there by mistake as our mate misses had booked the tickets! So three of us were totally kitted out in blue and white sitting on the halfway line in the home end. A Steward came up and asked if we wanted to move but we said we'd be fine here. Dad's mate prompty stood up shouted SEEEEEEEEEEEAGUUUUUUUUUUULLLLS! then sat down. The chap in front turned around and simply asked if we were visiting for the weekend or just the day etc...

After a boring 0-0 draw he wished us well and a safe trip back home.

Happy days.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lammy said:
So three of us were totally kitted out in blue and white sitting on the halfway line in the home end.

I'd love to see a picture of that! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Beach Hut said:
I take it that HOOLIE was wearing that rather stupid hat as well :lolol: :lolol:

the stupid hat that keeps me warm when the wife cuts my hair ( what is left of it) very short!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here