Jan 1, 2008
Encouraged factor:

Ward: excellent, essential
Baldock: optimistic, quite keen
Clayton: a bit underwhelmed and not really impressed, slightly disappointed

cf.

Toko: surprised and impressed
Hughes: quietly pleased, impressed
I'm surprised Clayton is underwhelming to you. He's the best signing of the three IMO. Genuine quality and a genuine goal threat. Plus a great beard to add to the flair factor. If we do sign him it'd be a huge coup.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm surprised Clayton is underwhelming to you. He's the best signing of the three IMO. Genuine quality and a genuine goal threat. Plus a great beard to add to the flair factor. If we do sign him it'd be a huge coup.

Agree with this , Clayton is exactly what we need IMO .
Good enough for the premier league

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Adam Clayton :bowdown:

Getting on a bit though? adam clayton.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've heard a rumour today, I'm not sure of the sauce, we are very interested in a young Croatian forward from Nuremberg, Antonio Kolac. I've no idea how reliable this is, but he got 30 in58 for their reserves and 6 last season for the first team

Anybody underwhelmed by the prospect of Adam Clayton joining us are seriously not aware of what a top player he is. I have a friend who is a ST holder at Huddersfield and he regularly states he is their best player and would be able to compete in the Premier League. He is definitely the most exciting signing of the three and will more than likely be our most attack minded, exciting midfielder to watch this season.

A three of: Clayton - Toko - Crofts.. is an exciting prospect. Can't help feeling a winger with qualities in crossing and set pieces would leave us with a top midfield this season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Blows hot and cold according to Leeds and Huddersfield supporters. Right footed. Can be good on his day, but this does not happen so often. Big ego as well.

Position is right-sided defensive midfielder, but I do not think he is even as mobile or as good as Liam Bridcutt. However, it may very well we need someone for the free-kicks and to replace Liam, whom I think we have missed more than I thought.

"He doesn't really have the pace or fitness to keep driving past the forwards in to the box. But his passing is obviously more threatening higher up the pitch as he is well capable of splitting a defence with a single pass. My main problem with him is that he can't produce for a full season. In his two years here he has had prolonged spells of doing nothing and then suddenly turns amazing for 10 games." (Quotes)

I watched Huddersfield on the video and can't find much where he is mentioned. At the Amex he was particularly anonymous and I only noticed him when he was taken off.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to be blunt here but what part of 'the club has a salary cap' are you struggling with?

The part where it complete rubbish as can be seen by the clubs accounts.

I have thought about pointing this out every time someone writes it but unfortunately I already have a full time job

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If the real Andy Naylor is willing to write that the signings will happen, then for me they're more or less nailed on. With Ward I believe there's only one detail to sort out.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, ideally this means the team is coming into shape, I beg to hope soonly. Tis good news, but if we're in with a chance of things it'll take another front man at the least to make it so. I'm sure that what we're aiming for and it'll come into being not too far off.
I'm gladdest to get Ward back. He was permanently excellent. He's an end to end titan with a cross in his pinging left boot that a new striker ought lump home with his ungodly brow.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't take what AN says too seriously after he wrote an article a while back stating we had no chance of signing CMS.

To be fair to AN, he had just returned after a fortnight's holiday. He did put his hands up straightaway.

I have thought about pointing this out every time someone writes it but unfortunately I already have a full time job

The club accounts include the wages of every employee, in the office, kit man & directors, one of whom got over £580K with bonuses. It's not just players.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Clayton is starting for Huddersfield today so a deal can't be that close.

Huddersfield Chairman has just returned from holiday. Clayton may very well be the personality we need? Clayton seems to be a leader type. Maybe another Brian Horton?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

So you're saying that the club does not have a salary cap these days? You've started so you may as well finish...

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
They wouldn't be cheap though so I would be extremely surprised if we signed any more players for money for those saying we still need another striker.

I'd wager there'll still be money available from the Ulloa transfer to fund one more quality signing at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here