Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trialists

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If this Ashby trialist is true

Are these trialists the way to go ?
I'm not convinced, It seems to me we are shopping in the Pound shop when we've got £25 in our pocket . . .

The quote in the argus about Turienzo by McGhee concerns me

"He is exactly to sort of player we need" but "we're not sure how good he is"

I think we should be looking at players that we don't need to trial first , Dodd didn't need a trial did he. Lets get players we know can do a job judging by CV

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Fair comment, at least then it would look like we actually scout players, rather than just giving trials to anybody who is available and indicates that they might be willing to join us.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
MM has said all along the Harding tribunal has delayed his efforts to bring new players in. We got confirmation yesterday and he wants to add faces over the next month. We won't have them all before Derby. Now he knows what money is available we could be looking at contracted players and not freebies who need to prove themselves on trial. The Tribunal timing has really hampered our efforts to bring players but not taking the 250k Leeds offered has been proved a good decision.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Point taken y2dave, just as always we must be patient, far better to wait for the right players in the long run, the team we see at Derby will probably be far different to what we see by the middle of September.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
y2dave said:
MM has said all along the Harding tribunal has delayed his efforts to bring new players in. We got confirmation yesterday and he wants to add faces over the next month. We won't have them all before Derby. Now he knows what money is available we could be looking at contracted players and not freebies who need to prove themselves on trial. The Tribunal timing has really hampered our efforts to bring players but not taking the 250k Leeds offered has been proved a good decision.

We certainly couldn't get the 5 until the Harding money was confirmed but I think we possibly could of got 2

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dougal said:
If this Ashby trialist is true

Are these trialists the way to go ?
I'm not convinced, It seems to me we are shopping in the Pound shop when we've got £25 in our pocket . . .

The quote in the argus about Turienzo by McGhee concerns me

"He is exactly to sort of player we need" but "we're not sure how good he is"

I think we should be looking at players that we don't need to trial first , Dodd didn't need a trial did he. Lets get players we know can do a job judging by CV

How dare you question the way we look at players? have you ever managed a football side? Do you know what the price of King Edwards are? sheesh:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
y2dave said:

I suppose my point in thread is , the Harding money is now confirmed + the very next day if rumour is true we are getting Barry :censored: Ashby , a 35 year old defender ....... on trial.
Don't get me wrong McGhee is amazing, but lets quit with the trialist route and get in players that don't need 90 mins to prove we want them. 250k for a defender .. . job done !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
without wishing to be castigated, I am also concerned that we have a defence with Tank ( 34 ish) Dodds( 35 ish) Ashby( 35ish) Mayo (late 40's)

Replacing Virgo (20ish) and Hammond ( 20 ish)

:glare:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Got to agree that if you want quality players you have to pay.

Getting the odd out of contract player now and again is all part of building a squad, but we need some quality players who will be at the club for 2 or 3 seasons to come.

Lets hope McGhee has some targets in mind and things develop quickly over the next week or so otherwise we could be in real trouble.

Ashby could be good cover for Butters, but at 35 he ain't going to be around long and could get stuffed for pace.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Dougal said:
I suppose my point in thread is , the Harding money is now confirmed + the very next day if rumour is true we are getting Barry :censored: Ashby , a 35 year old defender ....... on trial.
Don't get me wrong McGhee is amazing, but lets quit with the trialist route and get in players that don't need 90 mins to prove we want them. 250k for a defender .. . job done !

I think patience will be required. If we can get Blayney, 1 center back and a winger or left back by Derby I will be chuffed.

Ashby deserves a chance, him and Butters have played together succesfully and he has plenty of experience in fighting relegation from the Championship. Him and Butters as a pair is not a season long solution but I'm sure he prove his worth over the season. Rather him than Berthe for Derby.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lokki 7 said:
What does castigation involve Dave? It sounds very painful.

its a form of negative feedback

LOL:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
y2dave said:
him and Butters have played together succesfully

Three + years ago!!!!!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Our defence is increasingly looking like it'll be travelling to games on the Sunshine Variety bus. If we add Mark Fish & Barry Ashby to the back line it gives us:
Butters - 34
Dodd - 34
Ashby - 34
Fish - 31 or 33 (depending on which site you look at!)

Yet up front I think McCammon is our oldest striker who's nearly 27. The others are either in their late teens or early twenties.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
y2dave said:
I think patience will be required. If we can get Blayney, 1 center back and a winger or left back by Derby I will be chuffed.

Ashby deserves a chance, him and Butters have played together succesfully and he has plenty of experience in fighting relegation from the Championship. Him and Butters as a pair is not a season long solution but I'm sure he prove his worth over the season. Rather him than Berthe for Derby.

I know what you're saying but its hard to be patient when we are only 8 days from the start and we have blatant gaps in our team/squad which we seem to be bargain basement shopping to plug these with trialists.
Im sure we'll get some quality in soon, but I've been saying this for a while and am now wanting to see proven players not bit part trialists.
Of course whoever comes in I will back 100% but just voicing concerns

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Dougal said:
I know what you're saying but its hard to be patient when we are only 8 days from the start and we have blatant gaps in our team/squad which we seem to be bargain basement shopping to plug these with trialists.
Im sure we'll get some quality in soon, but I've been saying this for a while and am now wanting to see proven players not bit part trialists.
Of course whoever comes in I will back 100% but just voicing concerns

Not only 8 days befor ethe start of the season, but 1 month (i think) away from the transfer window.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
y2dave said:
Ashby deserves a chance

Why does he deserve a chance?

He's a plodding lump of a central defender who has been floating around the lower reaches of this division / upper reaches of League 1 for the last 15 years? What more do you need to find out?

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Pavilionaire said:
Why does he deserve a chance?

He's a plodding lump of a central defender who has been floating around the lower reaches of this division / upper reaches of League 1 for the last 15 years? What more do you need to find out?
He has played consistantly in the Championship for Gillingham for 8 years. And from what I have read people seem to think he is still pretty useful.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Didn't Gillingham go down, and hasn't he just got one year older?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here