Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel to the Stadium - Council Committee Report

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Does make you wonder how we are going to get approval to raise capacity to 30k, but then the club seem confident if they are stating the application will be going in at Xmas

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Charlton and Millwall both have copious on street parking and DOZENS of stations within walking distance.

Okay, I don't remember dozens of stations when I went to Millwall last but fair enough. Anyway, my question was are there any grounds we can compare ours against? Are there any bigger grounds which we can compare against if we scaled down? Spurs. I'm curious....I do not believe that our situation is entirely unique.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think that the bus element has been underestimated and I suspect that many who plan to use the train will end up giving the bus a go.

We are planning on getting the bus to and from Lewes, from what I can tell the bus stops are either side of the A27 by the railway station, will people using the bus be able to bypass the train queues

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I would suspect, as well as the "official" cycle spaces, you'd be able to chain the bike to the station/perimeter fence etc. I would suspect thousands of places to lock a bike pretty close.

Personally, I'm tempted to bung bike in back of car and park 3/4 miles away (somewhere in/near some of the villages, say near Ditching) and cycle in. More than likely (weather dictating :D) I'll use P&R but will wait until all the official suggestions are clarified.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree with you, but, don't forget there are 10,000+ JCLs who didn't go to Withdean because they didn't want to get rained on, or whatever. So I can see them giving up if it isn't easy to get to Falmer.

That's my concern.

I'm sure for most adults and groups of adults, things will work out, but I really fear for those with young kids. Hanging around for up to a couple of hours after games is not a very workable proposition. Rammed into some monster queue for an hour or so, possibly in the wet, for a train or bus is also not very appealing.

All of which leaves the car. Even if you're gridlocked trying to get out of the area after the game - having your kids sitting down, in the warm with their Nintendo DS or something seems a far more attractive proposition.

How many young kids will make it to evening games, even a one-off 'for a treat'?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Okay, I don't remember dozens of stations when I went to Millwall last but fair enough. Anyway, my question was are there any grounds we can compare ours against? Are there any bigger grounds which we can compare against if we scaled down? Spurs. I'm curious....I do not believe that our situation is entirely unique.

I just had a look on Google Earth and there are 7 within a mile, most on different lines.

I think Reading is probably most comparable, but that has large carparks.

Even Swansea has estates all around to park in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the bus is going to be the under-estimated hero.

In answer to your question, Gazwag, I don't see why not. It's a pretty wide bridge that's been built over the station. They could easily section off a 'through-traffic' (for want of a better word) part.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Reading is probably most comparable, but that has large carparks.

I don't think it's that close at all - as you say there are lots of car parks. Beyond that there is quite a lot of on-street parking too. For example we tended to park just the other side of the M4, by a little pub, and walk to and from the ground from there.

And those that took the train would be naturally staggered in getting back to Reading Station due to walking and/or catching a bus. And, when they did reach the station, it's a large mainline station with many services in each direction, including quick services to London. Contrast Falmer: a small stop on a small line, right next to the stadium with few services, many of which are well used already.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Falmer, of course, has an excellent regular bus service. I think a lot of people will be using it - more than originally estimated by the Club.

This, there are LOADS of buses. LOADS. And they have the bendy buses that they use for the University sites. And the Big Lemon should be out in force too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Stadium shall not be brought into use unless and until details of
arrangements for car parking for a minimum of 2,000 and a maximum of
2,200 cars at Sussex University and Falmer High School or at alternative
locations within 1.5km of the Stadium have been submitted to and approved
by the Local Planning Authority and the said car parking provided....."

a planning application for the temporary three year use of land to
the north of the Stadium’s coach and bus park for 650 car parking spaces is
currently under consideration by Lewes District Council.
The planning
application is due to be is due to be heard at Lewes District Planning
Committee on the 22nd of June 2011.

We'd better hope to christ that its approved then, otherwise......

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not particularly relevant but I had a tour round the Olympic site last week and was told that they are expecting it to take 3 hours just to leave the park at the end of the evening - thats before you then fight your way onto a train or bus. As for Falmer, I 'm sure it will be fairly chaotic for a while - most of us won't even know which direction to head when we leave the stadium for the first couple of times. I'm planning on using the Mid Sussex Seagulls coach for the first game, maybe trying Mill Road P&R as I used to at Withdean for some games, with the train my least favourite option although Wivelsfield to Lewes and then onto Falmer sounds a good way to get there - not so sure about getting back. I'd pay a fair price to park at the uni if that were possible.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Falmer, of course, has an excellent regular bus service. I think a lot of people will be using it - more than originally estimated by the Club.

I don't doubt you at all Lord B. But will this excellent service be available after 10pm for our evening matches?

Whilst I have your attention, is there a service where I can study the timetables for the bus services? I already know the Brighton & Hove buses website. :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i do think the Bus option has been underplayed. im sure theres more capacity and certainly more potential capacity on the bus than the train. most people across Brighton wont want to go into Brighton station to get a packed train back out, if they can get a bus from nearer their home. but i dont suppse there's many services that dont require going into center and changing (i have no idea of existing bus routes). being more flexible to demand, are the club going to be arrange local special services covering the brighton/hove urban area on direct routes, and if not why not?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
i do think the Bus option has been underplayed. im sure theres more capacity and certainly more potential capacity on the bus than the train. most people across Brighton wont want to go into Brighton station to get a packed train back out, if they can get a bus from nearer their home. but i dont suppse there's many services that dont require going into center and changing (i have no idea of existing bus routes). being more flexible to demand, are the club going to be arrange local special services covering the brighton/hove urban area on direct routes, and if not why not?

B&H Buses have already released special bus service timetables for the Amex

Football Buses to the Amex Stadium

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

All of which leaves the car. Even if you're gridlocked trying to get out of the area after the game - having your kids sitting down, in the warm with their Nintendo DS or something seems a far more attractive proposition.
That is the great advantage with the car. You're warm, you're safe (still a concern for some people at football) and you're not stuck standing in some queue waiting to be squeezed into a bus or train. A twenty or so minute walk and then sitting in a traffic jam for an hour will I'm sure be a price some people are prepared to pay.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Anyone travelling from the Horsham area should consider contacting the North West Sussex Seagulls (North West Sussex Seagulls Home) who are organising coach travel from Horsham to Falmer from as little as £6 return per adult (season ticket) and cheaper for under 16's and over 60's. They have a number of pick up points on route and have guaranteed parking at Amex and to be quite honest I don't think I would consider any other form of travel for the cost. It would cost me £4 in diesel just to get there by car, so this way I can sit back and enjoy the trip and be dropped off/picked up by the stadium. There must be other fan clubs or groups arranging similar travel?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here