Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel to the Stadium - Council Committee Report

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...The 1901 members who are corporate club members have access to 725 of the 2,000 – 2,200 parking spaces, however, this would still leave between 1275 and 1475 parking spaces available within 1.5km (based on the number of parking spaces required by condition)...

Will these be up for grabs - at a price - to the non 1901ers STH ? either on a match by match or 'season ticket' basis ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Would the fact that the club has to give the council 14 days' notice of any change to the 'schedule of events' effect rearranged games or cup replays?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely the majority of away fans coming down from London will elect to come down by train.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Big Mart

Sep 12, 2010
Are we going to see a lot of people leaving before full time then to beat the various bottlenecks? Some folk missed some classic injury time finishes at withers last season by legging it on 90min

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Utterly ridiculous, that's got to be a massive underestimate - especially given the stadium is adjacent to a station.

That is the the point that is being made, 3,150 is around the maximum capacity that the railway can cope with. So if more than that which is very likely, then there are going to be a lottle of unhappy"want to be train users" that won't get home by train.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That is the the point that is being made, 3,150 is around the maximum capacity that the railway can cope with. So if more than that which is very likely, then there are going to be a lottle of unhappy"want to be train users" that won't get home by train.

I've never seen the word lottle before .... I quite like it. I will use it at last three times today.

Back to the issue, 16% of people wanting to travel by train is a massive understatement I would have thought. I would have guessed, given a free choice, that something like 30% would want to go by train - especially people from outside Brighton, but I guess there's no real choice, if there is a maximum capacity then that is what it is. Enterprising souls will hav to organise coaches etc. like the ones running from pubs, which is a great idea IMO.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There is absolutely no way we are going to be able to increase the capacity in the foreseeable future, its going to be a nightmare with what we already have.

The fixture which is going be bring everything crumbling down is the Palace one as I would imagine far more people are going to drive for an evening fixture than an afternoon one.

So if the P&R is full when you arrive basically you are not going to see the game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, on the transport side of things, are there any other grounds comparable to ours? Ie 20k crowds, reasonably limited on-site parking and a train station next door. Charlton? Millwall? There must be some. I just wonder how they cope.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Out of interest, on the transport side of things, are there any other grounds comparable to ours? Ie 20k crowds, reasonably limited on-site parking and a train station next door. Charlton? Millwall? There must be some. I just wonder how they cope.

Charlton and Millwall both have copious on street parking and DOZENS of stations within walking distance.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Possibly an underestimate of the numbers who want to travel by train, but maybe a realistic estimate of the numbers who will fit on the trains.

One consequence of the demand for space on the trains exceeding the supply of space could easily be that there will be no space on the busiest trains running pre-match from London Road or Moulsecoomb stations.

And do they take account for who might be on the train but not travelling to the football?

Also, does the train capacity quoted take in to account early travel? eg, getting to the Axex at 11am ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is absolutely no way we are going to be able to increase the capacity in the foreseeable future, its going to be a nightmare with what we already have.

The fixture which is going be bring everything crumbling down is the Palace one as I would imagine far more people are going to drive for an evening fixture than an afternoon one.

For all those that have said "the coppers are in control of the fixture list" etc, I really don't see that any groups with any sway would chose the first evening league game at the Amex to be Palace. I'm struggling to see how it's not going to be a complete nightmare transport-wise, especially afterwards.

If you're planning on getting the train home, take your breakfast with you.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No-one is really going to know how things will pan out until the first couple of games are out of the way. Personally I believe that our fans are resourceful enough to figure out things for themselves and will find a way to get to and from the stadium that suits them. Looking at this thread it seems there will be between 1500 and 2000 "official" car parking space, who knows how many unofficial spaces will spring up. I think the club have done a reasonable job in making as much provision as they can given the land constraints.

I think that the bus element has been underestimated and I suspect that many who plan to use the train will end up giving the bus a go. I also think that quite a few will end up walking a fair way to. We all know that the access is going to be far from smooth, but it will not be impossible.

As for not having the fine detail from the club yet, do we really need it right now? The first league game isn't until August. I have yet to attend a football game where I needed to plan my journey two months in advance. I'm certain that when we get a our season ticket packs all the info we need will be supplied aswell.

I'm certainly not losing any sleep over how to get to and from the ground. I plan to use the train at the moment, but may well switch to the bus if that is too much of pain.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No-one is really going to know how things will pan out until the first couple of games are out of the way. Personally I believe that our fans are resourceful enough to figure out things for themselves and will find a way to get to and from the stadium that suits them. Looking at this thread it seems there will be between 1500 and 2000 "official" car parking space, who knows how many unofficial spaces will spring up. I think the club have done a reasonable job in making as much provision as they can given the land constraints.

I agree with you, but, don't forget there are 10,000+ JCLs who didn't go to Withdean because they didn't want to get rained on, or whatever. So I can see them giving up if it isn't easy to get to Falmer.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Club's original estimate was:-

Walking/cycling/bus and walk 16%
Rail 14%
Bus services 3-4%
Park and ride 16-18%
Football special coaches (home) 5-6%
Football special coaches (away) 10% [equal to the TOTAL capacity of the away end!!]
Taxi drop off/kiss and ride 3%
Park and walk 29-32%

In terms of cycling, what is the capacity at the ground? I am contemplating cycling to the ground instead of getting the train....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here