Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport watch - Cardiff game

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Post here any pre-match travel issues and then post-match reactions to how well the Amex transport system works.

There are more car parking spaces now but essentially no increase in capacity on public transport.
Cycling, walking and taxi have been indirectly discouraged by including travel in the ticket price.
We will have a record sized crowd.
Refreshment prices have been hiked, discouraging the policy of staggered arrivals and departures.
Evening games are notoriously more congested.

I don't want to scaremonger, but as a transport professional with 27 years experience, I am concerned.

Views?

PG

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I'm leaving straight from work at 5.30 and heading to Falmer. Hopefully It won't be too bad but getting back to Brighton after is going to be a bitch.

Might just have to hang around for an hour or so after the game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do not feel discouraged to continue walking.

1) prices go up each year, everywhere. My season ticket wasn't immune from this.
2) the club have funded the construction of the paths specifically for those that walk or cycle to the ground.
3) I have the option, should the weather not be too pleasant to get on the P&R buses.
4) More people who crowd out my walking path might get the bus, making my walk more pleasant
5) Increased attendances may make people more inclined to get their earlier to avoid the crushes, and stay later to avoid crowds on trains/buses
6) Increased numbers getting there early/staying later could balance out any decline in sales due to prices

For someone who doesn't want to be a scaremonger, you certainly seem to be looking at things in the most negative light.

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Not this again. Those train queues move quickly and you'll be away from Falmer in no time at all. The only time there was serious issues last season was the Reading game when some total plank decided to drive his lovely empty 8 carriage train straight through station.

I've also found the bus works really well. Especially getting there, jump on a 25 or a 28/29 and away you go.

Please don't let the scaremongers ruin your evening... you DON'T need to panic and leave early!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is no need to leave early at all, just on the final whistle and everything is OK

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think that your statement about walking being directly discouraged is scaremongering.

Last year my mates and I walked from Lewes to the ground and we shall continue to do so this year.

You might be concerned about the situation but throwing every conceivable negative into support for your opinion diminishes your argument.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Isn't everyone rushing into the city centre afterwards to buy their £4+ Kronenbergs away from the stadium?
:D :D

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Could be much worse tonight with many more people now choosing to stay in town or nearby pubs until just before kick off thanks to Barbers price hikes, those last few minutes before KO could be carnage.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The 18.20 from London Road to Falmer is currently ON TIME

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Could be much worse tonight with many more people now choosing to stay in town or nearby pubs until just before kick off thanks to Barbers price hikes, those last few minutes before KO could be carnage.

Do you read the daily mail only your post reads like one of its headlines.

BARBER beer price HIKES causes CARNAGE

:laugh:

Get a grip.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Post here any pre-match travel issues and then post-match reactions to how well the Amex transport system works.

There are more car parking spaces now but essentially no increase in capacity on public transport.
Cycling, walking and taxi have been indirectly discouraged by including travel in the ticket price.
Refreshment prices have been hiked, discouraging the policy of staggered arrivals and departures.

I don't want to scaremonger, but as a transport professional with 27 years experience, I am concerned.

Views?

PG

If you don't want to scaremonger, why are you indulging in scaremongering?

EVERYBODY... PANIC!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
This. Never caught the Bus back from the Amex but might do tonight. Are the queues as big as the train?

The buses are okay. Sometimes have to wait 10 mins or so, but it's not too bad. The trains are quicker though, as once on the train you're about 7 mins away from central Brighton. Which is pretty good going, all things considered.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Perhaps you should just give it a miss then mate? Leave the rest of us to get on with it and enjoy our evening.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Views?

PG

My view is that your post is scaremongering.

Rightly or wrongly, people should accept the fact that clearing a crowd of more than 25,000 is no easy task, and one that takes a bit of time. I think the scenarios you've suggested are the most extreme (I can't see everyone saying "Oh, I couldn't possibly stay after the game for a pint because it will cost me an extra 50p (or whatever it is)."

In the same way, I don't think the inclusion of travel in the ticket price will make much difference, because the travel vouchers were such good value (IMO) that most people that needed them, got them.

Sorry if the above sounds flippant, but I'm just trying to understand the point of this thread. As I alluded to before, there will be queues and it will be busy. Those who think there won't be are näive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here