Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport Levy....£30 confirmed as per NSC exclusive

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I dont think the club have yet said to what extent they will amend the on site parking prices but it is good that they have already said they will make some amendment.

I suspect that they will look at the average number of users per car and maybe amend the price on that factor.

So if they establish by means of observation or sample that there is an average of 2.25 users per car then perhaps they will amend the cost by c£65 or so. That would seem fair and equitable. There will be some single driver 'winners' and some multiple user 'losers' but the view I'm hearing from those I know that drive is that given some amendment, they wont be changing their patterns and moving to buses or trains based on the levy alone. There are some who thought public transport would be worse than it is and now wish to partake in drinking on a match day.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Part of the permission of getting the stadium was to demonstrate a sustainable travel policy. Facts and figures are needed to do this and so the travel vouchers were thought to be a quick and easy and sensible way of doing s and one thqat supporters fromn Withdean would be familiar with. Presumably we have now done that so we can move on to putting them on the season tickets.

Albion Rob

As someone who stumps up a significant sum of money to Southern for a rail season ticket which covers me to Falmer I'm a bit disappointed to be paying for something I don't need so I think I'll just see it as a £30 rise in the cost of my season ticket and negotiate with the wife about renewal on that basis.

I'll also make sure I'm super hot on Southern's DelayRepay scheme for my journeys to and from work in the week and over the course of a season I'll get enough money back from them to cover the cost of the levy five or six times over anyway.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I seem to recall there being a different tax liability if the travel costs are added onto the cost of match tickets and I thought that was also one of the other reasons for exluding them from the combined season ticket cost?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
NOt ideal but then its impossible in my opinion to come up with fairer, achievable solution.

I park in Lewes train station for £5 - and buy a return ticket to Falmer each game. But then rather than isolate this issue it's easier to justify it in ones own mind by looking at the overall match day experience and think that for £30-£35 quid a month plus parking and train (£8 a game pretty much as we buy a family ticket from the station) its still outstandingly good value.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
NOt ideal but then its impossible in my opinion to come up with fairer, achievable solution.

I park in Lewes train station for £5 - and buy a return ticket to Falmer each game. But then rather than isolate this issue it's easier to justify it in ones own mind by looking at the overall match day experience and think that for £30-£35 quid a month plus parking and train (£8 a game pretty much as we buy a family ticket from the station) its still outstandingly good value.

You can park cheaper in Lewes than that, we use the East Street carpark which I think is 50p an hour, then its just a five minute or so walk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not so sure. Like people that purchased the Travel Vouchers this season, and will not see any difference in their layout next season, surely this would apply to people that purchased car parking spaces.

There will be a small difference, this season I forked out £90 in one go, next season it will in effect be £9 a month extra by DD, so better cash flow wise.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure how this discussion is still going on.

Stadium gets permission on sustainable transport plan. Expansion will get permission on the sustainable transport plan. The stadium works because of the majority using sustainable transport for their travel.

£30 per ST (+ fee per match ticket) isn't necessarily to cover your personal transport, it is a cost toward the sustainable transport that must be maintained for the stadium to exist. Whether you benefit or not directly from this is your personal choice, however whether you park your car, walk, cycle, fly, whatever, you sit and enjoy matches at the Amex because of a sustainable transport plan.

It is a fair system to share this cost across all supporters, not just those that use sustainable transport, because ultimately that is why the stadium works.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Stadium gets permission on sustainable transport plan. Expansion will get permission on the sustainable transport plan. The stadium works because of the majority using sustainable transport for their travel.

£30 per ST (+ fee per match ticket) isn't necessarily to cover your personal transport, it is a cost toward the sustainable transport that must be maintained for the stadium to exist. Whether you benefit or not directly from this is your personal choice, however whether you park your car, walk, cycle, fly, whatever, you sit and enjoy matches at the Amex because of a sustainable transport plan.

It is a fair system to share this cost across all supporters, not just those that use sustainable transport, because ultimately that is why the stadium works.

Exactly. Anyone arguing with that post is basically a. a moron, b. self-centred or c. a self-centred moron.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Good move from the club.

Checking tickets is unworkable and would lead to terrible queues at the station. Now SR can open the barriers and people cant dodge the fare. Sorted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Hut Tax isn't necessarily to cover your personal transport, it is a cost toward the sustainable transport that must be maintained for the stadium to exist. Whether you benefit or not directly from this is your personal choice, however whether you park your car, walk, cycle, fly, whatever, you sit and enjoy matches at the Amex because of a sustainable transport plan.

I have corrected you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Meeting your criteria then....

If you disagree with the gist of his post, then yes.

Like you, I stand to gain nothing in return for the additional £60 outlay, except that it is necessary for our club to move forwards. Sometimes decisions are for the greater good, not just for you personally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good move from the club.

Checking tickets is unworkable and would lead to terrible queues at the station. Now SR can open the barriers and people cant dodge the fare. Sorted.

Absolutely. A simple common sense practical approach.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Come on - smile. You know you want to!

What is wrong with you these days, normally you are the first in the queue !

You must be losing your touch

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What is wrong with you these days, normally you are the first in the queue !

You must be losing your touch

Yep - prodding a grumpy old tory like you just doesnt hold the same level of interest anymore

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yep - prodding a grumpy old tory like you just doesnt hold the same level of interest anymore

Excellent, one down and bloody loads to go then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here