Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport Levy....£30 confirmed as per NSC exclusive

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I haven't got a massive problem with it, however bearing in mind that 2 adults a senior and 2 kids we park at the uni. Now while I don't expect them to take the full amount off would be nice if the club reflected the extra charge in the price of that parking. As between us we will be paying an extra £105

Didn't Insider say a few posts above yours that the club would reflect the levy in the pricing of parking? I took that to mean they would reduce the cost of parking because your season tickets will have gone up in price.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Really don't understand why everyone keeps saying its stealing from the club? LB said earlier he assumes the club pay a lump sum to the train companies to run extra trains, aren't all the trains scheduled anyway? If southern aren't collecting vouchers not sure how they can charge any more?

The club is paying out lump sums to the bus and train companies to transport the fans but part of it was supposed to be offset by fans buying and using travel vouchers. Hypothetically it could cost the club £35 per season per fan for transportation costs of which £30 in Travel Vouchers would mean a £5 subsidy , thousands are just waving their ST's at bus drivers and railway employees so the club incurs subsidising them 100%

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I take it the 1901 club members won't have to pay any more?

The 1901 price is fixed for 5 years and the package includes either a parking space or travel vouchers, so no.

You ask a good question though. Given 1901ers are FORCED to have a parking space or vouchers I presume those that do not use either will be joining Beach Hut's forthcoming litigation against the club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 1901 price is fixed for 5 years and the package includes either a parking space or travel vouchers, so no.

You ask a good question though. Given 1901ers are FORCED to have a parking space or vouchers I presume those that do not use either will be joining Beach Hut's forthcoming litigation against the club.

A class action lawsuit ???

An off peak return to falmer from Eastbourne costs £8.50 and one to Lewes costs £7.10. Therefore you save £1.40 a time which is 10p more than £1.30 - so you're slightly ahead!

The more pedantic might argue that if we get promoted to the Prem, the travel will work out at £1.57 a game so you'll be 17p down!
Anyone travelling regularly on a Saturday from east of Lewes to Falmer will be using a Railcard (if they are sensible). This means that the comparison that needs to be made is between the Off Peak Railcard Return fares to Falmer and Lewes. Do that comparison and you will see that using a ticket to Lewes plus a Travel Voucher is MORE expensive at the moment than just buying a rail ticket to Falmer.

If you can use a Young Person's Railcard or a Senior Railcard, the same applies for evening games - not for Network Railcard holders, though (where a minimum fare applies on Mondays to Fridays).

Of course, once a Travel Voucher is automatically included in the price of a match ticket, it will make sense to buy a rail ticket only to Lewes.

It would be nice, though, if the Club could get the Travel Voucher area extended eastwards as far as it currently extends northwards and westwards. It's a bit of an anomoly that folk can travel all the way from Seaford to Falmer (6 stations) with a Travel Voucher, yet you can't travel from Glynde to Falmer (2 stations) without shelling out cash.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Anyone travelling regularly on a Saturday from east of Lewes to Falmer will be using a Railcard. This means that the comparison that needs to be made is between the Off Peak Railcard Return fares to Falmer and Lewes. Do that comparison and you will see that using a ticket to Lewes plus a Travel Voucher is MORE expensive at the moment than just buying a rail ticket to Falmer.

Of course, once a Travel Voucher is automatically included in the price of a match ticket, it will make sense to buy a rail ticket only to Lewes.

It would be nice, though, if the Club could get the Travel Voucher area extended eastwards as far as it currently extends northwards and westwards. It's a bit of an anomoly that folk can travel all the way from Seaford to Falmer (6 stations) with a Travel Voucher, yet you can't travel from Glynde to Falmer (2 stations) without shelling out cash.

Agreed, or Polegate to Falmer, only 4 stations.
Does seem strange that Worthing to the West, Haywards Heath to the North and Seaford to the South are all included, with only one stop to the East, Lewes

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Agreed, or Polegate to Falmer, only 4 stations.
Does seem strange that Worthing to the West, Haywards Heath to the North and Seaford to the South are all included, with only one stop to the East, Lewes

I guess much of that is a legacy of the original zones being centred on Preston Park/Withdean rather than Falmer.

fattyjohn

Jun 17, 2011
north roedean
Why not give each ST holder the option of purchasing pre paid travel,and then the colour of the ST could reflect payment .Perhaps blue for free travel and white for those not taking it up and having to pay ||

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its this scheme or we have the same problems as this season. No way around it really, people will always be unhappy about it but thats the way things go.

Not as if your shelling out an extra £100 a year.....unless were promoted of course.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why not give each ST holder the option of purchasing pre paid travel,and then the colour of the ST could reflect payment .Perhaps blue for free travel and white for those not taking it up and having to pay ||

Could all very easily be implemented and actually a good idea but a cop out from either the club or SR not bothering to check tickets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure I've seen any wording from the club that suggests that the levy is in fact payment of a fare. More the wording I have seen suggests to me that the levy is very much to allow the club to provide all of the transport related infrastructure and resourcing that is required to fulfil fixtures at the Amex.

A bonus is that there is an element of free travel on offer should a supporter want to take it up for any particular match, but that is almost an aside.

Ticket checking at stations, particularly at Falmer in the couple of hours before a game is just not going to work - the volume when each train comes in is too great given the size of the station to allow any sort of practical validation of tickets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are such a wit, you really are - in fact first class

Chuckle, I can see what you've done there.

PS Shoreham Tory Club is on the High St.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here