Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport an' tings, am I correct in thinking it's turning out very well?

Is offsetting a viable component of a viable transport plan?

Ed, how on earth do all the out of town supermarkets get away with it?
Around this neck of the woods ... mainly by ensuring that they were built before planning policy caught on to the fact that there was a problem. These days, the fashion is for town centre retail developments (eg Sainsburys at London Road / Brighton Station, Tesco at George Street, Hove) ... all with good public transport access.

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
In general terms, the 2-car Ashford trains run non-stop through Falmer, Moulsecoomb and London Road because they are full of passengers making longer distance journeys.

Southern do increase the number of trains that stop at Falmer on matchdays - by not running one of the Ashford trains west of Eastbourne, and replacing it with an extra eight coach Eastbourne - Brighton train that stops at Falmer. By the time the normal 2-car Ashford trains re-appear in the timetable, the numbers of people waiting for a Falmer train have dropped to the point at which the normal four trains an hour are adequate to cope.

Except, of course, when there is extra time played in a cup match, when everyone is travelling 45 minutes or so later than anticipated.

I was pleasantly surprised, having had to spend a fair bit of time after the match waiting for the wife to finish in the shop, that the train I caught was an 8 carriage going as far as Eastbourne. At Eastbourne all of us heading to Hastings then transferred to the waiting 2 car diesel that does the Ashford run.

Great idea changing the Brighton - Ashford train in such a way. And even though we were a few minutes late arriving at Eastbourne, Southern had to hold the train for us :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I disagree about the P&R, I think providing more is a great solution - and not just for football. Brighton the city needs a decent out-of-town P&R for general visitors and I can't believe the Greens think there are 'too many' car parks. Well sadly I can actually, and I'm sure they'd just like to close them down without providing a PRACTICAL alternative as opposed to their usual wishful thinking - but this isn't the thread for that discussion!

I agree with this but I think there are some real practical difficulties about more P&R. Ed has already identified a shortage of sites for one to be located and the lack of buses. I'd also add that this would increase congestion around the stadium, when we already have fans moaning that they're being held up to ensure fast turnaround of P&R buses.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with this but I think there are some real practical difficulties about more P&R. Ed has already identified a shortage of sites for one to be located and the lack of buses. I'd also add that this would increase congestion around the stadium, when we already have fans moaning that they're being held up to ensure fast turnaround of P&R buses.
All true and I can't argue with any of that - all part of the problem of having a cramped town/city hemmed in on all fours sides by: the sea, a National Park, and already-built up land.

Perhaps the club should relocate to somewhere more suitable? (That's a joke BTW!)

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
needs a bit of re-think maybe. the small carparks over the little rail line bridge. could these not be turned in to park and ride for say mitras house and mill rd. new slip road entrance and exit on to a27 would have to be made. however this would takealot of traffic away from amex roads itself.

cars that use those car parks can go to Bennett's field. 1901's offered Sussex parking. busses would not get held up in traffic, so turn around time cut massively. break up fans so not all park ride and aways fans all together.

just brain storming. please do not shoot the messenger. we r all looking for ideas to enable the club we love to grow.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think the priority, thankfully, will always be safety over revenue. Which is why, when there's a pile of people wanting to get on a bus or train, you are pretty much waved through.

However FIRST thing I noticed about the travel vouchers is that it is next to impossible to identify one from the other when waving them at a train ticket barrier/to a bus driver. I reckon you could get away with using the same one all year. A BIG number on each would solve this for next season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If the Green Party start to mess with or obstruct what is now one of the greatest success stories going in this City, then they will get a thoroughly deserved electoral kicking.

That would be the same with any political party.

Seeing as the Greens have absolutely no intention with 'messing with' or 'obstructing' the Albion, and are in fact in full-blown in support of making this whole project work successfully, I'm baffled as to why on earth you posted that.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
That would be the same with any political party.

Seeing as the Greens have absolutely no intention with 'messing with' or 'obstructing' the Albion, and are in fact in full-blown in support of making this whole project work successfully, I'm baffled as to why on earth you posted that.

hmmm we shall see if/ when the app for ground increase goes in???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What, the Greens get kicked out in 2014 because the apolitical planning officer (not councillor) recommends - in 2011/2 - rejection of the planning application until transport issues are sorted out?

Right.

Didn't the LibDem councillors on LDC get a pasting in the local elections after Falmergate ???

I'm sure the Club has worked out that the way to get a major planning application approved is to talk through the details of the application with the local planning authority, well in advance of submitting it. That's what they did when the Falmer application first went in and it's what they have done with all subsequent amendments and additions - the Racecourse Park & Ride and Bennetts Field, to name but two.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
If the Green Party start to mess with or obstruct what is now one of the greatest success stories going in this City, then they will get a thoroughly deserved electoral kicking.

This

The Green Party needs to consolidate its position in B&H to demonstrate it's a sustainable (pardon the pun) political party more generally. Afterall the city represents its greatest successes in the UK.

We should not underestimate our ability to mobilise thousands of people to emphasise the will of the local population/electorate.

I'm sure the Club has worked out that the way to get a major planning application approved is to talk through the details of the application with the local planning authority, well in advance of submitting it. That's what they did when the Falmer application first went in and it's what they have done with all subsequent amendments and additions - the Racecourse Park & Ride and Bennetts Field, to name but two.

Sure but the main condition attached to the Racecourse P&R (eg the temporary approval) were a bit of a surprise don't you think (and wasn't recommended by the officers)? During the planning meeting the club also came in for some cross-party flack from all sides for its finalisation of the Amex transport management plan (ie not done) and lateness of applications.
Weren't the club also asked to engage in discussions with the council on the question of sustainable transport, albeit in the context of removing the temporary condition on the Racecourse P&R, but isn't it wise to complete this and resolve any issues before an extension application is submitted?
Anyway, the recruitment of Steven Reeves as Transport Manager looks a bit of a coup - shame it didn't happen 12 months ago.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Loath to post anything critical as my love for the amex is total.

However if you're asking... half-time in the West Upper can be a bit of mission. Takes ages to get through to the pissers, they need way more urinals up there. Plus the caterers are still under-staffing the kiosks. Please help me spend more money! Not missing any of the first half and gulping down a pint isn't always possible because of the super slow service at some of the kiosks. And yes i know i could just go without a piss and a pint at half-time but i image the club would prefer me to spend the money.

Trains are running really well. Although the first trains out coming back don't seem to stop at London Road anymore, and the east-bound trains coming from Brighton run fast to Falmer so getting back to London Road, if you don't hang around for a beer, can be a little tricky.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Out of interest at Brighton station I have noticed that there are now oyster type readers and also on some buses. So maybe from next year there will be some kind of additional smartcard or the use of your ST card?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Traffic on the A27 pre game, most of which are going on to the slip road, where are all these people going?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here