Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport an' tings, am I correct in thinking it's turning out very well?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
OAPs already use the ones on the buses.

Any concessionary passes issued within the last 3 years around the UK have a chip embedded to make it a smartcard. B&H Buses "Saver tickets" booked online will soon have the (preferred) option to download the credit onto a smartcard (The Key) so it is only a matter of time before travel vouchers can be loaded to the ST smartcard as everything becomes integrated.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I keep thinking park and ride .If Lord B is right there is little scope for rail or bus improvments . So what is left.......? Again i think Southamptons Park and ride,excellent .Any political party will want to be seen to help the Club,and on a more political note "who is going to make up the tax that the motorist gives " ? The motor car evil beast that it is sure as hell pays a lot of bills !!!!!!

Any concessionary passes issued within the last 3 years around the UK have a chip embedded to make it a smartcard. B&H Buses "Saver tickets" booked online will soon have the (preferred) option to download the credit onto a smartcard (The Key) so it is only a matter of time before travel vouchers can be loaded to the ST smartcard as everything becomes integrated.
A geek responds ...

That will depend upon whether the Club has issued smartcards that are compatible with the ITSO specification first agreed by all UK transport operators back in 2004.

I keep thinking park and ride .If Lord B is right there is little scope for rail or bus improvments . So what is left.......? Again i think Southamptons Park and ride,excellent .Any political party will want to be seen to help the Club,and on a more political note "who is going to make up the tax that the motorist gives " ? The motor car evil beast that it is sure as hell pays a lot of bills !!!!!!
I really don't want to get a reputation as a gloom merchant. Rather than buy into the Green Party's apparent view that Park & Ride just promotes car use, I'd rather stand up for the principle that well-planned Park & Ride can be an effective way of dealing with congestion in traffic hotspots. It is excessive traffic congestion that causes public concerns, whether in city centres, or on major highways, or in residential areas close to public events. I think there is still some scope for new Park & Ride sites to be found - and, with a bigger stadium, it may be necessary to accept that some of these will be some way distant from the Amex. People might simply have to accept longer home to stadium journey times than they ever thought would be the case, but that's a price for a 30,000 seater stadium.

The other thing that needs to be planned for is, of course, the loss of the Bennetts Field facility within the next three years.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
A geek responds ...

That will depend upon whether the Club has issued smartcards that are compatible with the ITSO specification first agreed by all UK transport operators back in 2004.

Fortress can provide UK transport-integrated epurse cards it seems so I'd imagine that they can do ITSO ones in that case?

Still depends on that function being on the club's cards obviously.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A geek responds ...

I did pose a question via e-mail at a Fans Forum last year of the Amex ST smartcard being compatible to use on the local buses and trains and MP replied that the club were working towards this aim which leads me to believe they're probably already ITSOfied.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I still don't quite understand what's bad about my idea for predatory pricing for single car users that Lord B so quickly dismissed. The club allows for 2.5 people per car and, I believe, that there are about 2,500 car parking places - if by using parking penalties for single and dual occupancy that can be bumped up to 3.5, then we can crack a good part of the 8,000. Another two P&R sites of, say, 400 spaces each will take up another 2,800 and we're getting somewhere.

Add an encouragement to walk or cycle, as per Brovion's suggestion of a free drink or programme and we're probably somewhere near all the 8,000.

We can hope that Bennett's Field is replaced by Academy parking and that there are no parking restrictions placed on Coldean or Moulsecoomb in the next few years.

There's no use kidding ourselves that transport will sort itself out for the extra 8,000 places. I think the club does have to do something imaginative to ease the problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Remind me ... where did I dismiss this idea?

You said that it was the sort of idea that, if Jim Hacker came up with it, Sir Humphrey would dismiss it with "That's an interesting idea ... a very brave idea". I know that it's not a complete rejection but it wasn't a very positive response.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I really don't want to get a reputation as a gloom merchant. Rather than buy into the Green Party's apparent view that Park & Ride just promotes car use ....
I must admit that until I read this thread I had no idea that the Greens felt like that. To be charitable I'll say that I guess it proves they're largely an urban party, but I hope the Realists in the party outweigh the Fundamentalists.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
You said that it was the sort of idea that, if Jim Hacker came up with it, Sir Humphrey would dismiss it with "That's an interesting idea ... a very brave idea". I know that it's not a complete rejection but it wasn't a very positive response.

If you are serious about your proposal, rather than seeking approval on an internet board, why not contact Steven Reeves, the club's new Transport Manager - because he might be the one actually able to do something about it ?

Good Luck

Just because something is difficult to achieve doesn't mean that it shouldn't be attempted ...

... "Let's build a stadium at Falmer", for example.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you are serious about your proposal, rather than seeking approval on an internet board, why not contact Steven Reeves, the club's new Transport Manager - because he might be the one actually able to do something about it ?

Good Luck

Don't know Steven Reeves' email address but it's certainly an idea

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Have been meaning to ask - what is the park and ride that is signposted at Kingston? Always see the signs as I drive between Lewes and the Uni but was unaware of a park and ride anywhere near there.

Have been meaning to ask - what is the park and ride that is signposted at Kingston? Always see the signs as I drive between Lewes and the Uni but was unaware of a park and ride anywhere near there.
It's a small field, controlled by the people who run the burger van that is always parked up there. During the week, it's used as a parking area for customers.

The "ride" part of the matchday park & ride facility is the 28 or 29 bus, which serves the nearby bus stop and will take you to the front of Falmer station.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

There isn't at present. People would like to see a park and ride East of the stadium and somewhere near the Kingston roundabout would be have its merits.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It's a small field, controlled by the people who run the burger van that is always parked up there. During the week, it's used as a parking area for customers.

The "ride" part of the matchday park & ride facility is the 28 or 29 bus, which serves the nearby bus stop and will take you to the front of Falmer station.

Ah. I stand corrected.

There isn't at present. People would like to see a park and ride East of the stadium and somewhere near the Kingston roundabout would be have its merits.
It is, in fact, up and running. You reach the field by leaving the A27 at the Kingston roundabout and travelling about 200 metres along the road that leads to Kingston. It's just before you reach the sharp left turn by the old toll house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here