Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains need sorted before the really nasty teams come visiting

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It was a four carriage train. I think they are using plat 3 for the shuttle trains stopping Brighton/Falmer/Lewes/Falmer/Brighton. I will check tonight if they are continuing this service.

They will probably use Platform 3 in the evening games - to be fair it can take longer trains eastwards I think, just not westwards - because there aren't so many evening services to/from London to hold up as there are on a Saturday afternoon. Once Brighton itself loses all the Summer holiday visitors as well that might make things a bit easier to cope with - but for 22,500 max...

It was a four carriage train. I think they are using plat 3 for the shuttle trains stopping Brighton/Falmer/Lewes/Falmer/Brighton. I will check tonight if they are continuing this service.
It's a lot easier to do this after evening games, because London main-line services are running a less frequent service. Just because they could do it at the Gills games (or tonight) tells us nothing about the possibility of doing it on Saturday afternoons.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
People are talking like the travel is a disater zone. It compares well to a lot of grounds, I have waited just as long at Leeds, Stoke, Reading, Portsmouth, Tottenham and the worst West Ham. I would think we will easyily get the planning persmission to add an extra 8000 seats, the only gripe is really people do not want to wait up to an hour to leave, welcome to big crowds at modern stadiums, Wembley takes me well over an hour to make the tube after some games but no one moans its just part of the experience these days.

At high risk games, fans may be brought in and out by bus or keeped in and like our games at Leyton Orient marched onto a train/carriges set aside for them. It will be easier than managing the games at Withdean, where there was a few rowdy chants but little else. Palace have not even sold out the last two games against us.

We could always relocate to Milton Keynes, plenty of parking only £5 and about 10 minutes to get out of the car park...

Agree.....Spurs and West Ham come to mind as two grounds that take ages to get away from and ive not been to Emirates but thats meant to be terrible, unless you leave before final whistle Wembley can easily be 1-2 hours before your away.......we've just been used to small crowds leaving Withdean for last 12 years, its not ideal to have to wait for an hour to get away from any venue but thats just how it is now that we're dealing with bigger crowds. Its hardly a disaster waiting to happen.....how many disasters do you hear of week in week out of 20,000+ crowds leaving a stadium??????

Incidentally ... I've not seen fans fighting on the railway (either on trains or on platforms) every time I've attended matches at West Ham, Palace, Orient, Charlton, Brentford, Fulham, QPR or Millwall over the past ten years. And fans of both clubs travel together. Why do people think trains from Falmer present particularly difficult issues?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Incidentally ... I've not seen fans fighting on the railway (either on trains or on platforms) every time I've attended matches at West Ham, Palace, Orient, Charlton, Brentford, Fulham, QPR or Millwall over the past ten years. And fans of both clubs travel together. Why do people think trains from Falmer present particularly difficult issues?

I hope you're right Lord B. But my antennae tell me there will be problems at the Palace evening game, both on and off railway property...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Agree.....Spurs and West Ham come to mind as two grounds that take ages to get away from and ive not been to Emirates but thats meant to be terrible, unless you leave before final whistle Wembley can easily be 1-2 hours before your away.......we've just been used to small crowds leaving Withdean for last 12 years, its not ideal to have to wait for an hour to get away from any venue but thats just how it is now that we're dealing with bigger crowds. Its hardly a disaster waiting to happen.....how many disasters do you hear of week in week out of 20,000+ crowds leaving a stadium??????

the Emirates is organised but takes an age to get away (not been as an away fan so no idea how they get them away), seems a large majority go to a small underground station and wait. Not done it in the rain/snow so can't comment on how well a large queue goes down then

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

I agree with this. I think most people are worrying about a problem that is unlikely to exist.

Surely it's easier to Police 2 groups of fans when they are stood still in a queue for the train rather than when the disperse in all different directions? I have no problem standing next to a Palace/Millwall/West Ham fan while I wait for a train.

How many cases of football violence take place in crowded areas that are well Policed?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you did it the other way then there must be loads of Palace etc who live in Sussex, what are they meant to do? If this system was in place for when we went to Palace, what about all the Brighton who live in London? Are they supposed to get the train down to Brighton to then get the coach back up to Croydon?

That's exactly what the police at Palace said I had to do (in reverse) when we lost 5-0 there and I lived in Nottingham.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
The Palace game presents it's own special problems, and I am mystified as to how this is an evening game, but Selhurst managed to cope the last time we were there on a midweek evening too.

Difference being, at Palace, we have 3 stations within a 5-10 min walk (Thornton Heath, Selhurst and Norwood Junction) so there isn't a build up of the whole train commuting crowd going to one place.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Difference being, at Palace, we have 3 stations within a 5-10 min walk (Thornton Heath, Selhurst and Norwood Junction) so there isn't a build up of the whole train commuting crowd going to one place.

Quite, and the same can be said for West Ham, Tottenham, well, pretty much everywhere. Plus you must have many, many more bus services.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Evening games are definitely going to be a problem if there are no extra trains - not looking forward to Leeds and Palace.

The first train from Falmer back to Brighton (AND London via Brighton) that you can conceivably catch after a match is the 2207, so a fairly long wait on a crowded platform. That train is going to be absolutely rammed.

Going back to London via Lewes (for London-based Brighton fans or fans of away teams) isn't much of an option as the only one you can catch is at 2228, and you have to change twice.

Have probably missed it somewhere, but are there going to be extra trains after evening matches? If not, anyone know why not?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Still can't get my head around the amazingness of the Japanese trains. Yamanote line runs a train every THREE minutes and I feel quite put out if I have to wait more than 10 minutes for a train anywhere in Japan.

That's because they don't waste their breath with interminable planning inquiries before they decide to build a railway, in Japan, if your house is in the way of a new line, you move and it gets demolished.

No nimbies.
No greens.
No tree huggers.
No CPRE.
No Stop HS2 campaign groups STOP HS2 | Campaigner to walk entire proposed route of hs2
No road transport lobbies.
No cheap no-frills airline owners whinging about unfair subsidies to competing modes of transport.
No Lewes District Council.
No Norman Baker ( WTF is he doing in charge of ANYTHING !!!!!!! )

Just common sense. And a culture that believes in putting the needs of the many above the needs of the few.

Just imagine if we were hit by the kind of earthquake they had in March - the August riots would have seemed like a street-party by comparison.

We could learn an awful lot from them about how to keep Great Britain Great.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Are all bubble matches reciprocal arrangements?

I think the police do this rather than the club, although reading the reports on how much trouble it was for Cardiff fans to get to West Ham (it was also a 1pm k.o on a Sunday) i'm sure there are 'calls' by Cardiff fans for it be a reciprocal arrangement.

There was a thread on here a few months back suggesting that our game at Selhurst Park was going to be a 'bubble match' as per a 'source at the Met' but not seen anything since....

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

ive always found the emirates quite easy - if you are prepared to walk for a bit to get to finsbury park, then getting a mainline train down to kings cross is usually absolutely fine

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

and this is what is causing the problems. everybody trying to cram onto one little station

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Maybe they will organise a special train for Palace going via Lewes and travelling that way thus meaning the two sets of supporters will be on opposite platforms ?

That sounds far too sensible.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Good point little al. I shall not be going on September 27th, just hope it's on the box is all.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Wembley has 3 train stations & 4 lines away, it's a long wait only for those that follow the herd to the busiest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here