Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains need sorted before the really nasty teams come visiting

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Well one thing is a nailed on certainty - if the transport arrangements aren't sorted satisfactorily, then we can say goodbye to the extra 8000 seats.

My take is that one way or another, they need to double capacity on the trains, and sort out some segregation - and I don't believe that "nothing can be done", because it normally can - given some resource.

You can't build a £105 Million stadium, without also improving the transport infrastructure needed to support it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Having seen the train queues after the Gillingham game, I thought a good idea would be the 25/28/29 on the A27 back into Brighton.

Only problem is, that of the 6 buses scheduled at the falmer station stop between 21.50 and 22.20, none of them turned up, leaving people stranded.

a 25 and 28 turned up 22.24, but those two buses didnt have the capacity to take the people now waiting at the bus stop. (i think more and more people kept turning up having seen the train queue)

If the buses ran the schedule they were supposed to, it would go a long way to solving people being stuck at the ground after midweek games

This. That was f***ing ANNOYING.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
In theory Millwall's station should be a complete nightmare but I've used it on several occasions without incident. Boisterous but not dangerous.

the fact that away fans and home fans are segregated owing to two different entrances to the station helps that out a lot

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He was asking to "have trains lined up so they can get all the fans away from Falmer inside 30 minutes". Lining up WHERE?

And how would this allow the timetabled services (five trains an hour) to run?

Well they have seemed to have suspended the London-Brighton service every Sunday since about 1963 in order to weed the embankments or something.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
It is still really early days with the club,stewards and Police etc... finding their feet with everything. I travelled by train last Saturday and getting to Falmer was fine and even spare seats in carriage one, they do need to encourage fans to walk down to the front of the train more and in side the carriage to free up space around the doors.
Left at the final whistle and the queue looked long for the trains but was moving slowly. It was annoying that there wasn't a train waiting for Brighton bound fans but the reasons for this have been explained by Lord B and Co.Caught the second train at 5.17 to Brighton and agree more fans could get on - easily another 40-50 fans in the carriage In was in but I am sure the Police etc... will work this out. Better to show some caution at this early stage?
I travelled west on the Soton bound train ( which had been held for us) which was a challenge as only 4 carriages and rammed, the poor shoppers had no idea what was going on.They must be able to put on additonal carriages for this service? I was back home in EP by 6.15pm which I thought was good. I am confident there is a plan for the more challenging matches - I hope!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Having seen the train queues after the Gillingham game, I thought a good idea would be the 25/28/29 on the A27 back into Brighton.

Only problem is, that of the 6 buses scheduled at the falmer station stop between 21.50 and 22.20, none of them turned up, leaving people stranded.

a 25 and 28 turned up 22.24, but those two buses didnt have the capacity to take the people now waiting at the bus stop. (i think more and more people kept turning up having seen the train queue)

If the buses ran the schedule they were supposed to, it would go a long way to solving people being stuck at the ground after midweek games

We got on one of the 25s at Brighton Uni with no difficulty. The bus driver then started to act like a complete cunt at the A27 Falmer Station stop, refusing to let anyone else on or go anywhere is some twat ran on without a ticket.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
....It might not be good for post match bar revenue but I can hardly see some Millwar or Palacescum supporters putting up with a two hour wait for a train. It needs to be sorted and sorted now before something nasty happens....

Is there any evidence anyone has waited this long?

The thing about a transport system is that it will settle down into an equilibrium. If people have to wait a long time for a train, they will try alternatives, bus, P+R which will ease the pressure. From what I have seen, the main issues are at night games when everyone (basically) wants to get away quickly. I thought the club had said that Palace will be held behind anyway - they did it to us in 2005. I am not sure they will all come by train anyway, many will drive and park where they can.

It sounds like better management at the station can improve things - getting more people on to the Brighton trains especially.

For the Saturday games, I have cycled from Lewes and I beat my bus-using mates by 15 minutes afterwards. If you have the chance to cycle, do so. It's free and healthy!

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
What people forget is that there is no safety issue here and that is the only thing that will concern putting more seats in. Just because you have to queue for a train or a bus is not important, same as any other large sport or concert venue such as Wembley or the O2.

Not true, we have to demonstrate that there is a Transport Impact Assessment that 'works' to get planning permission. If we can't demonstrate that there will not be significant queues on the A27 then the Highways Agency can lodge a statuatory objection, for example.

PG

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
shouldnt have to leave early to get away well, thats the problem.

at a modern stadium, you ALWAYS have to leave early to get away well. look how many flock out of wembley with up to ten minutes to go. infact, watch virtually any game from a new stadium on tv or one with questionable public transport links and you will notice people leaving early to get away. the emirates is a good example. from experience, even the germans with their notorious efficency struggle to clear the allianz quickly

even if they developed falmer into a ten platform super station with bullet trains in both directions, you would still have some element of queuing. people are just going to have to accept that (although admittedley, if things dont settle down by the end of the season then 8000 extra people simply cannot happen, especially for evening games). the really glaring problem - and the one which this thread was originally going on about - is segregating fans. it only needs a couple of idiots in the queues to start having a go and you could have a serious incident on your hands, and with so many people packed into such a small area that is asking for trouble

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
I left on time after Gillingham- joined the back of the queue and waited about 20 mins. No problems at all. The only answer r/e the West Hams, Millwalls is to lock them in for 20 mins and try and clear as much as possible- there really is nothing else we could do. We cant segregate to the station/segregate the trains etc as this is a logistical nightmare. If there is going to be trouble there will be trouble before and after the game in and around the city centre and thats for the police to sort not the club.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Can't they use platform 3 at Brighton or don't they like doing that these days?

No. You cannot get trains from the east to go into platforms on the west of the station without buggering up the entire signalling system for the entire station.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I left on time after Gillingham- joined the back of the queue and waited about 20 mins. No problems at all. The only answer r/e the West Hams, Millwalls is to lock them in for 20 mins and try and clear as much as possible- there really is nothing else we could do. We cant segregate to the station/segregate the trains etc as this is a logistical nightmare. If there is going to be trouble there will be trouble before and after the game in and around the city centre and thats for the police to sort not the club.

why would millwall and west ham fans want to start a ruck after the game?

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
why would millwall and west ham fans want to start a ruck after the game?

Why would Millwall want to start a ruck in Southampton? Why did Spurs come down and kick off when we played Aberdeen? I am not a hooligan psychologist- I am just going on reputations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here