Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trafalgar Day

Well, she who played herself in the film was Amethyst in Yangtse Incident. It would have been great if Ajax had survived to play herself in Battle of the River Plate but she was scrapped in 1949.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
These are common day sayings that originated in the Navy of Nelson’s time (see how pervasive it is)
Between the Devil and the Deep (Blue Sea)
In wooden ships, the "devil" was the longest seam of the ship. It ran from the bow to the stern. When at sea and the "devil" had to be caulked (filled to stop leaks), a sailor would sit in a sling to do so. He was suspended between the "devil" and the sea — the "deep" — a very precarious position, especially when the ship was underway.
Listless
Today it means to be dull or without pep. It comes from the days of sail when a ship was becalmed and rode on an even keel .... without the port or starboard list. No wind, no list; no list, lifeless.
Long Shot (an often used pool term)
Today it's a gambling term for an event that would take an inordinate amount of luck. Ships' guns in early days were very inaccurate except at close quarters, it was an extremely lucky shot that would find its target from any great distance.
Taken Aback
One of the hazards faced in days of sailing ships has been incorporated into English to describe someone who has been jolted by unpleasant news. We say that person has been "taken aback." The person is at a momentary loss; unable to act or even to speak. A danger faced by sailing ships was for a sudden shift in wind to come up (from a sudden squall), blowing the sails back against the masts, putting the ship in grave danger of having the masts break off and rendering the ship totally helpless. The ship was taken aback.
Three Sheets to the Wind (Christmas Parties, you know who you are!)
We use the term "three sheets to the wind" to describe someone who has too much to drink. As such, they are often bedraggled with perhaps shirttails out, clothes a mess. The reference is to a sailing ship in disarray, that is with sheets (lines — not "ropes" — that adjust the angle at which a sail is set in relation to the wind ) flapping loosely in the breeze.
True colours – (Not a Phil Collins hit)
Early warships often carried flags from many nations on board in order to elude or deceive the enemy. The rules of civilized warfare called for all ships to hoist their true national ensigns before firing a shot.
Blind Eye -
In 1801, during the Battle of Copenhagen, Admiral Nelson deliberately held his telescope to his blind eye, in order not to see the flag signal from the commander to stop the bombardment. He won. Turning a blind eye means to ignore intentionally.
Chock-a-block – (A27 Daily)
Meaning something is filled to capacity or over loaded. If two blocks of rigging tackle were so hard together they couldn't be tightened further, it was said they were Chock-a-Block.
As the Crow Flies -
When lost or unsure of their position in coastal waters, ships would release a caged crow. The crow would fly straight towards the nearest land thus giving the vessel some sort of a navigational fix. The tallest lookout platform on a ship came to be known as the crow's nest.
Cut and Run -
If a smaller ship at anchor was discovered by a larger enemy vessel, the smaller ship might decide that discretion is the better part of valour, and so would order the crew to cut the anchor cable and sail off in a hurry.
(Until) The Bitter End -
The end of an anchor cable is fastened to the bits at the ship's bow. If all of the anchor cable has been paid out you have come to the bitter end.
Slush Fund – (Petty Cash these days!)
The slushy slurry of fat obtained by boiling salted meat. This stuff called slush was often sold ashore by the ship's cook for the benefit of himself or the crew. The money so derived became known as a slush fund.
A Square Meal -
The crews' mess was a warm meal served on square wooden platters. They were not nutritionally balanced.
Son of a Gun -
When in port, and with the crew restricted to the ship for any extended period of time, wives and ladies of easy virtue often were allowed to visit or even live aboard along with the crew. Infrequently, but not uncommonly, children were born aboard, and a convenient place for this was between guns on the gun deck. If the child's father was unknown, they were entered in the ship's log as son of a gun.
Let the Cat Out of the Bag -
Aboard ship the punishment prescribed for most serious crimes was flogging. This was administered by the Boson's Mate using a whip called a cat o' nine tails. The cat was kept in a red dyed bag. It was considered bad news indeed when the cat was let out of the bag.
No Room to Swing a Cat – (Noel’s old office)
The entire ship's company was required to witness flogging at close hand. If the ship was crowded the Boatswain might not have enough room to swing his cat o' nine tails
Give (someone) a Wide Berth -
To anchor a ship far enough away from another ship so that they did not hit each other when they swung with the wind or tide.
Cut of His Jib -
The "cut" of a sail refers to its shape. Since this would vary between ships, it could be used both to identify a familiar vessel at a distance, and to judge the possible sailing qualities of an unknown one.
Touch and Go -
This referred to a ship's keel touching the bottom and getting right off again.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Raleigh in 71 then Mercury, Old Ark, Northwood, Lowestoft. My gf of all people has just taken me to a -smoking- bar yards from my building, AND they sell Pussers which I couldnt resist
. Come back to my bar and see this thread

I saw HMS Achilles that was at the River Plate
out in the far east, it was an Indian navy ship then We were called up on deck When she Passed us. Can remember it like yesterday

Last edited:

Sod you mates,I'm inboard....Gulpers for me....Right...Questions....try to be honest and not use Wiki and other internet aids.
Which ship appeared in a naval battle which was portrayed on film and appeared in the film itself?
Which ship rammed a German heavy cruiser and sunk from the collision and what was the name of the ship and of the German cruiser?.
Which ship fired the last shots at the Bismarck,what was the weapon used?
What was the name of the ship that rammed the docks at St Nazaire?
Two Tribal class destroyers were torpedoed ,they were towed into dry docks,the front of one was joined to the stern of the other then renamed,(a real case of cut and shut) what was the ship renamed?
That's a starter for you,,now it's tot time and 'MAKE AN MEND'....Cheers muckers,game of 'Uckers!

HMS Achilles (under RIN name) in Battle of the River Plate but also agree Amethyst
HMS Glowworm & Scharnhorst (after Glorious sunk)
HMS Dorsetshire - torpedo
HMS Campbeltown
Zulu & Nubian - Zubian

All without recourse to Google or any other search engine.

Up spirits; stand by the Holy Ghost.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
HMS Achilles (under RIN name) in Battle of the River Plate but also agree Amethyst
HMS Glowworm & Scharnhorst (after Glorious sunk)
HMS Dorsetshire - torpedo
HMS Campbeltown
Zulu & Nubian - Zubian

All without recourse to Google or any other search engine.

Up spirits; stand by the Holy Ghost.

Give yourself a make an mend and you can have sippers at tot time,right on all. One other ship played herself at the end of the 'Battle of the River Plate',came up as reinforcement,that was the cruiser HMS Cumberland,she was due for the reserve fleet prior to being scrapped,if you notice in the film she has no guns.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What was the last german capital ship afloat....just?....give you a clue,she was found rusting in dock as the Allies swept through Germany....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
These are common day sayings that originated in the Navy of Nelson’s time (see how pervasive it is)
Between the Devil and the Deep (Blue Sea)
In wooden ships, the "devil" was the longest seam of the ship. It ran from the bow to the stern. When at sea and the "devil" had to be caulked (filled to stop leaks), a sailor would sit in a sling to do so. He was suspended between the "devil" and the sea — the "deep" — a very precarious position, especially when the ship was underway.
Listless
Today it means to be dull or without pep. It comes from the days of sail when a ship was becalmed and rode on an even keel .... without the port or starboard list. No wind, no list; no list, lifeless.
Long Shot (an often used pool term)
Today it's a gambling term for an event that would take an inordinate amount of luck. Ships' guns in early days were very inaccurate except at close quarters, it was an extremely lucky shot that would find its target from any great distance.
Taken Aback
One of the hazards faced in days of sailing ships has been incorporated into English to describe someone who has been jolted by unpleasant news. We say that person has been "taken aback." The person is at a momentary loss; unable to act or even to speak. A danger faced by sailing ships was for a sudden shift in wind to come up (from a sudden squall), blowing the sails back against the masts, putting the ship in grave danger of having the masts break off and rendering the ship totally helpless. The ship was taken aback.
Three Sheets to the Wind (Christmas Parties, you know who you are!)
We use the term "three sheets to the wind" to describe someone who has too much to drink. As such, they are often bedraggled with perhaps shirttails out, clothes a mess. The reference is to a sailing ship in disarray, that is with sheets (lines — not "ropes" — that adjust the angle at which a sail is set in relation to the wind ) flapping loosely in the breeze.
True colours – (Not a Phil Collins hit)
Early warships often carried flags from many nations on board in order to elude or deceive the enemy. The rules of civilized warfare called for all ships to hoist their true national ensigns before firing a shot.
Blind Eye -
In 1801, during the Battle of Copenhagen, Admiral Nelson deliberately held his telescope to his blind eye, in order not to see the flag signal from the commander to stop the bombardment. He won. Turning a blind eye means to ignore intentionally.
Chock-a-block – (A27 Daily)
Meaning something is filled to capacity or over loaded. If two blocks of rigging tackle were so hard together they couldn't be tightened further, it was said they were Chock-a-Block.
As the Crow Flies -
When lost or unsure of their position in coastal waters, ships would release a caged crow. The crow would fly straight towards the nearest land thus giving the vessel some sort of a navigational fix. The tallest lookout platform on a ship came to be known as the crow's nest.
Cut and Run -
If a smaller ship at anchor was discovered by a larger enemy vessel, the smaller ship might decide that discretion is the better part of valour, and so would order the crew to cut the anchor cable and sail off in a hurry.
(Until) The Bitter End -
The end of an anchor cable is fastened to the bits at the ship's bow. If all of the anchor cable has been paid out you have come to the bitter end.
Slush Fund – (Petty Cash these days!)
The slushy slurry of fat obtained by boiling salted meat. This stuff called slush was often sold ashore by the ship's cook for the benefit of himself or the crew. The money so derived became known as a slush fund.
A Square Meal -
The crews' mess was a warm meal served on square wooden platters. They were not nutritionally balanced.
Son of a Gun -
When in port, and with the crew restricted to the ship for any extended period of time, wives and ladies of easy virtue often were allowed to visit or even live aboard along with the crew. Infrequently, but not uncommonly, children were born aboard, and a convenient place for this was between guns on the gun deck. If the child's father was unknown, they were entered in the ship's log as son of a gun.
Let the Cat Out of the Bag -
Aboard ship the punishment prescribed for most serious crimes was flogging. This was administered by the Boson's Mate using a whip called a cat o' nine tails. The cat was kept in a red dyed bag. It was considered bad news indeed when the cat was let out of the bag.
No Room to Swing a Cat – (Noel’s old office)
The entire ship's company was required to witness flogging at close hand. If the ship was crowded the Boatswain might not have enough room to swing his cat o' nine tails
Give (someone) a Wide Berth -
To anchor a ship far enough away from another ship so that they did not hit each other when they swung with the wind or tide.
Cut of His Jib -
The "cut" of a sail refers to its shape. Since this would vary between ships, it could be used both to identify a familiar vessel at a distance, and to judge the possible sailing qualities of an unknown one.
Touch and Go -
This referred to a ship's keel touching the bottom and getting right off again.
When men pulling in a rope or cable the one in charge yells 2-6-heavy,this came for running out the cannons...all gun crew were numbered and No2 and 6 pulled on the ropes to run the gun into position.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm a day late but as I'm living in the vicinity I shall go to Cape Trafalgar today and salute the horizon!!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Trafalgar night for officers, Pickle night for the Chiefs & WO's mess.
My last night at sea in the RN was pickle night.
Anyone know the history of HMS Pickle? (I do, just a little quiz question for budding historians).

Is it where all the new recruits have to bend down to see the golden rivet ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Jeez...You're all sprogs...I was in the Navy when we had ships of wood and men of steel...now it's ships of steel and men of wood...."Bootneck,Bootneck can't catch me!!...HMS St Vincent 1954,Suez canal 1956, HMS Armada, 1957. Diving course HMS Vernon 1958 HMS Vanguard last british battleship 1958, Resrve Fleet HMS Alert 1958/60 Flagship Far East Fleet.HMS Venus (By christ you should've seen us...) Dartmouth training Squadron 1961/62,HMS Dryad 1963..Royal Tournament gun crew 1964.HMS Victory 1966...12 years,happy getting pissed years,crashing out on many a deck,looking at many bulkheads..."Lash me to the wheel Mr Starbuck"...."Bring me my oilskin....and bucket"
Came out and studied to be Naval historian....Swing that lamp boys!!....Cheers all ex matelots!!
f*** me, was william tell your skill at arms instructor ?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
And who were the hardest nuts during the battle? My money is on the crew of HMS Bellerophon (or Billy Ruffian as some called it). They were hard as nails - the sailors could catch cannonballs in their teeth! At one stage during the battle, billyruffian was being fired on by four or five enemy ships. Half the crew were either dead or wounded and the Captain (Cooke), who was on the verge of pegging it himself, ordered his crew to continue firing.

Wasn't it the Bellerophon were the Captain had both of his legs shot away, so he ordered his men to stand him up in a barrel so that he could continue giving orders? I also thought yesterday was a bad day for those anti-capitalist protesters to close down St. Paul's Cathedral considering it was Lord Nelson's big day, and he's buried in there .... don't they hold some kind of ceremony at his tomb every 21st October?

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Wasn't it the Bellerophon were the Captain had both of his legs shot away, so he ordered his men to stand him up in a barrel so that he could continue giving orders? I also thought yesterday was a bad day for those anti-capitalist protesters to close down St. Paul's Cathedral considering it was Lord Nelson's big day, and he's buried in there .... don't they hold some kind of ceremony at his tomb every 21st October?

Yeah. And the crew were having difficulty standing up themselves...because of all the blood on deck.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11

Thankfully Second Sea Lord was able to lay the wreath onboard HMS Victory.

And I made it into work for 8am this morning with a very clear head!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
sailors

:cheers:A widowers daughter was marrying a sailor. the day before the wedding, the father knowing what sailors are like, says to his daughter " if your new husband ever wants sex "the other way round", tell me and I will have a word with him". Six months after the wedding, she is still puzzled by what her father said, so she asks her husband if he would like to try sex "the other way round" for a change. her husband says " no, I don't want to fill the house up with bloody children:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here