Senior rates pah!!!!

Here we are Smudge

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year;
To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves
(Chorus sung once...)
Heart of oak are our ships, jolly tars are our men,
we always are ready; Steady, boys, steady!
We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.

We ne'er see our foes but we wish them to stay,
They never see us but they wish us away;
If they run,why we follow and run them ashore,
And if they won't fight us, what can we do more.
(Chorus sung once...)

we still make them feel and we still make them flee,
and drub them at shore as we drub them at sea,
so cheer up me lads with one heart let us sing,
oh soldiers and sailors, our statesmen and king.
(Chorus sung once...)

20 years a damn JR, 4 years as PO & 2 years a corned beef, (that's Chief to you skin).

Hearts of Oak, stirs the blood. We used to have ships of wood & men of steel!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

with the story that Nelson's body was embalmed in a brew of alcohol that the sailors supped at on the voyage back to England.......................

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Jeez...You're all sprogs...I was in the Navy when we had ships of wood and men of steel...now it's ships of steel and men of wood...."Bootneck,Bootneck can't catch me!!...HMS St Vincent 1954,Suez canal 1956, HMS Armada, 1957. Diving course HMS Vernon 1958 HMS Vanguard last british battleship 1958, Resrve Fleet HMS Alert 1958/60 Flagship Far East Fleet.HMS Venus (By christ you should've seen us...) Dartmouth training Squadron 1961/62,HMS Dryad 1963..Royal Tournament gun crew 1964.HMS Victory 1966...12 years,happy getting pissed years,crashing out on many a deck,looking at many bulkheads..."Lash me to the wheel Mr Starbuck"...."Bring me my oilskin....and bucket"
Came out and studied to be Naval historian....Swing that lamp boys!!....Cheers all ex matelots!!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Jeez...You're all sprogs...I was in the Navy when we had ships of wood and men of steel...now it's ships of steel and men of wood...."Bootneck,Bootneck can't catch me!!...HMS St Vincent 1954,Suez canal 1956, HMS Armada, 1957. Diving course HMS Vernon 1958 HMS Vanguard last british battleship 1958, Resrve Fleet HMS Alert 1958/60 Flagship Far East Fleet.HMS Venus (By christ you should've seen us...) Dartmouth training Squadron 1961/62,HMS Dryad 1963..Royal Tournament gun crew 1964.HMS Victory 1966...12 years,happy getting pissed years,crashing out on many a deck,looking at many bulkheads..."Lash me to the wheel Mr Starbuck"...."Bring me my oilskin....and bucket"
Came out and studied to be Naval historian....Swing that lamp boys!!....Cheers all ex matelots!!

We are not Worthy !! LOL

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
with the story that Nelson's body was embalmed in a brew of alcohol that the sailors supped at on the voyage back to England.......................
He was embalmed in Brandy,but when England found that the Rum from the West Indies was far cheaper the Lords of the Admiralty decreed that all tot rations were to be rum,but to stop the ratings bottling it they made it two parts water one part rum...known as Grog...although Petty Officers and Chief Petty Officers had non watered rum...many bottled their ration.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was embalmed in Brandy,but when England found that the Rum from the West Indies was far cheaper the Lords of the Admiralty decreed that all tot rations were to be rum,but to stop the ratings bottling it they made it two parts water one part rum...known as Grog...although Petty Officers and Chief Petty Officers had non watered rum...many bottled their ration.

Nearly right. It was one particular sailor, Admiral Vernon, who ordered the rum to be diluted with water and lemon juice. As this made his sailors healthier (they didn't catch scurvy) the practice was picked up by the admiralty and used on all ships.
Vernon was known as Old Grog as he wore a coat made of grogram and hence the tot of rum became known as grog (it's amazing the trivia I've picked up during the course of my life).

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
And who were the hardest nuts during the battle? My money is on the crew of HMS Bellerophon (or Billy Ruffian as some called it). They were hard as nails - the sailors could catch cannonballs in their teeth! At one stage during the battle, billyruffian was being fired on by four or five enemy ships. Half the crew were either dead or wounded and the Captain (Cooke), who was on the verge of pegging it himself, ordered his crew to continue firing.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

bloody hell, a sea daddy and a half LOL

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sippers?
pussers-rum.jpg

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Sod you mates,I'm inboard....Gulpers for me....Right...Questions....try to be honest and not use Wiki and other internet aids.
Which ship appeared in a naval battle which was portrayed on film and appeared in the film itself?
Which ship rammed a German heavy cruiser and sunk from the collision and what was the name of the ship and of the German cruiser?.
Which ship fired the last shots at the Bismarck,what was the weapon used?
What was the name of the ship that rammed the docks at St Nazaire?
Two Tribal class destroyers were torpedoed ,they were towed into dry docks,the front of one was joined to the stern of the other then renamed,(a real case of cut and shut) what was the ship renamed?
That's a starter for you,,now it's tot time and 'MAKE AN MEND'....Cheers muckers,game of 'Uckers!

f*** Me!
The Dead Sea was just P7R when You joined up!
A tot to warm the cockles tonight for all ex matelots.
Cheers to You all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here