Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trafalgar Day

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
:bowdown:Two hundred and six years ago
horatio-nelson--758--t-600x600-rw.jpg

and today, to celebrate, trafalgar Square is full of oversize inflatable American Footballers promoting some argy-bargy in norf lunden.........

oh and there's a free film being shown there this evening - Some Tom Cruise film apparently.................

So much for history!

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
and today, to celebrate, trafalgar Square is full of oversize inflatable American Footballers promoting some game in norf lunden.........

They're not having another one of those American Throwball games at Wembley are they? Why can't they just stick to playing it in their own country and stop trying to tell us "it's the greatest show on earth", which IMO sums it right up, it's a show rather than a proper sport.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

and today, to celebrate, trafalgar Square is full of oversize inflatable American Footballers promoting some argy-bargy in norf lunden.........

oh and there's a free film being shown there this evening - Some Tom Cruise film apparently.................

So much for history!

now there is a genuine true great englishman! :bowdown:

So much for history!

206 years (2011-1805=206)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
They're not having another one of those American Throwball games at Wembley are they? Why can't they just stick to playing it in their own country and stop trying to tell us "it's the greatest show on earth", which IMO sums it right up, it's a show rather than a proper sport.

i remember watching the first superbowl to be shown live on english tv,early 80's or something like that

fell asleep after an hour and never watched another one,baseball is ok though

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'England expects every man to do his duty' - so I will shortly be repairing to my local hostelry for a pint of 'Nelson's Revenge' followed by a shot of 'Nelson's Blood' (spiced rum) in honour of our greatest hero.

Conveniently the same pub just happens to have been Nelson's local when he was not at sea thrashing the Frenchies.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Trafalgar night for officers, Pickle night for the Chiefs & WO's mess.
My last night at sea in the RN was pickle night.
Anyone know the history of HMS Pickle? (I do, just a little quiz question for budding historians).

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Remember a long time ago on my time on HMS Antrim and we were in the exact spot of the battle on Trafalgar day and we done the wreathlaying into the sea and then the Skipper piped "Up Spirits " which was a rarity in the mid 70's.( Thats a good tot of Rum to you land lubbers !!)

Lord Nelson = Proper Hero to me.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Trafalgar night for officers, Pickle night for the Chiefs & WO's mess.
Anyone know the history of HMS Pickle? (I do, just a little quiz question for budding historians).

Senior rates pah!!!!

Here we are Smudge

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year;
To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves
(Chorus sung once...)
Heart of oak are our ships, jolly tars are our men,
we always are ready; Steady, boys, steady!
We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.

We ne'er see our foes but we wish them to stay,
They never see us but they wish us away;
If they run,why we follow and run them ashore,
And if they won't fight us, what can we do more.
(Chorus sung once...)

we still make them feel and we still make them flee,
and drub them at shore as we drub them at sea,
so cheer up me lads with one heart let us sing,
oh soldiers and sailors, our statesmen and king.
(Chorus sung once...)

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
"Hearts Of Oak", what a tune !! Brings back memories of passing out Parades in Ganges etc !!

They played it when my son passed out at Raleigh a few years ago now and I will admit it brought back great memories and a few tears as well

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Senior rates pah!!!!

Here we are Smudge

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year;
To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves
(Chorus sung once...)
Heart of oak are our ships, jolly tars are our men,
we always are ready; Steady, boys, steady!
We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.

We ne'er see our foes but we wish them to stay,
They never see us but they wish us away;
If they run,why we follow and run them ashore,
And if they won't fight us, what can we do more.
(Chorus sung once...)

we still make them feel and we still make them flee,
and drub them at shore as we drub them at sea,
so cheer up me lads with one heart let us sing,
oh soldiers and sailors, our statesmen and king.
(Chorus sung once...)
Great song - should be the English national anthem!

I shouldn't really like Nelson, not with his views on the supremacy of monarchy over democracy, but stuff the politics - I hope his name is remembered forever.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
"Hearts Of Oak", what a tune !! Brings back memories of passing out Parades in Ganges etc !!

They played it when my son passed out at Raleigh a few years ago now and I will admit it brought back great memories and a few tears as well

Raleigh seems just like yesterday ... even though it was 30 years ago.

Trafalgar day on the Victory was always a giggle, start drinking at 08:00, last tours of the day were carnage:D

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
QUOTE=smudge;4464770]Trafalgar night for officers, Pickle night for the Chiefs & WO's mess.
Anyone know the history of HMS Pickle? (I do, just a little quiz question for budding historians).[/QUOTE]

Indeed, several glasses of Pussers Rum, Port, red wine and Horse's Neck were drunk last Saturday night in the Officers' Mess. And just to add to the fun, a food fight took place between the various tables.

Off to the Sgts' Mess tonight for somehting that I hope will be a little less messy :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here