Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Tough man" - you are a WANKER!

I think the phone-in is still essential and Harty does a good job. But SCR dropped the ball today. The calls should have been screened to ensure a civilised discussion. Both Toughman and Simon were just rude, aggressive and pointlessly confrontational. That stuff destroys any chance of a sensible debate about Albion's problems. Dick Knight should be asked tough questions but he shouldn't have to put up with personalised accusations that all the appeal money is going into his pocket - than kind of stuff turns the whole thing into a farce.

I think it's not so bad when you get daft callers on the normal SCR phone-ins but it's a disaster when you get them when you have a guest like Knight and are trying to stage a meaningful discussion. Guests on SCR deserve some kind of respect and shouldn't have to listen to accusatory ranting.

The callers should have been screened and those with an aggressive manner or ridiculous views should have been weeded out. Anyone with stupid names like Toughman should have had the phone put down on them straight away.

If that meant few callers, so be it - then let Harty raise the tough questions that needed to be answered.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
gerbil said:
I never said anything about an ulterior motive.

All i'm saying is that I will not be putting my hand in my pocket when I just get letters asking me to put my name on a seat but I would,like several people I know would happily give my money if I was able to have a stake in OUR club.

DK saved this club from extinction but I think that now he's run out money to sustain it.

I'll wait for all the slagging off from certain members of the NSC club for daring to speak my mind.
I'm not slagging anyone off for voicing an opinion, but if I disagree, then like anyone else I'll challenge it.

DK and the board have clearly rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way by holding out the begging bowl and not actually offering anything tangible in return. But all they are doing is asking for a donation from those who want to help the club, and DK has been at pains to stress this all the way along. No-one is obliged to help, but if some fans are able to spare the cash then it's something that will help keep the club ticking over.

Its like the donation box at church. You don't get anything back personally by putting a few quid in, but then you're not obliged to, and the church are grateful for any help you are able to give. I gather the total has now reached over £200,000...which will go a long way to help stave off that capital gains tax that is hanging over the club if the Inland Revenue call it in. Already, that money collected could save us from having to sell a couple of players to help towards that tax bill.

I just wish people could get over this "what do I get in return" attitude...if you don't want to contribute then fine, but lets not use this appeal as a stick to beat the board with for christs sake. They're doing all they can.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
good call Easy. The board are doing a good job.

I'm sure they had a figure in mind when they set up the 'Alive and kicking' appeal, and so far we have raised nearly a 1/4 of a million quid, which isn't bad going.

A couple of points....

Why do people have to go onto phone ins using 'aliases' or tags. Listeners don't give a monkeys. They don't know who is calling and they probably care even less.

What is important is that SCR sort out a form of screening so that pricks like 'Toughman' don't get a gratuitous platform for spouting crap.

Second point. Dick Knight is the best thing that could have happened to this club given our current predicament. The man is a fan! He has staying power, but he's also realistic about our current situation and is not prepared to invest in the future until the ground situation is sorted.

Today was a rock hard day. We beat Leeds. We shut their fans up. 19 point on the board and its still only October. Come on Brighton fans, isn't that worth celebrating.

Oh, and top man Ernest for your supportive posts!

Toughman, get real or f*** off!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
On the subject of 'getting something in return', Martin Perry said he would be quite happy, if a Supporters Trust were set up, to explore the possibility of donations to the Alive and Kicking appeal being converted to shares at a later date.

People who talk about a share issue seem to imagine that there might be an investment opportunity in this Club that protects your money, pays a dividend, allows the investment to grow and will permit people to make a profit on the deal over time.

All of this from a Club that owns no physical assets.

Get real. None of the current shareholders have made any sort of "investment". They have all given their money so that the Club we all support can flourish.

Those people who want to "invest" and get a profit out of the deal should feck off to Wrexham and sign up to the Alex Hamilton Fan Club (current membership zero).

Apparently Manchester United shares are also a "good investment" so my American pal Malcolm tells me. Perhaps worth buying some of those.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
six_yard_punisha said:
I think that half the problem with the phone in is that they are willing to put people on calling themselves 'Toughman'. Making up amusing monikers is well and good for the smaller communities of internet messageboards (I Love doing it!), but on a radio phone in?

Nail on head. They shouldn't allow callers to use a nom de plum.

And they should ask callers what they want to talk about before putting them on air.

Easy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Beach Hut said:
I think you will find the Supporters Trust idea is already in motion.

It didn't sound like it when DK was on SCR-but if it is then that's good.

Where do I send my money?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
straight talk said:

I've never been "anti-Knight" and I can understand the way the clubs finances and debts are structured as well as anyone, and that's from the viewpoint of a Business Analyst within the Front Office of a big Investment Bank, not a Part Time Lecturer at a two bit uni, "working" 15 hour weeks.

oooooo! I'm dead impressed. Front Office of a big investment bank.

When did you get the promotion to receptionist?

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
I agre that what was said was a load of bollocks,however if someone doesn't go on the phone in or appear at the fans forum asking these bollocks questions then we don't get answers.It all adds to healthy debate and if anything pulls the rest of us who support DK closer together.What harm did it really do ? It made me more aware of the route the board is taking and the idea of a supporters trust taking shape even better.Let the idiots have 5 mins of exposure,all more to the benefit of the club.It would have been a boring phone in if we had all gone on and said how wonderful DK and the board are doing.

straight talk

Banned
Sep 25, 2004
Bwian said:
oooooo! I'm dead impressed. Front Office of a big investment bank.

When did you get the promotion to receptionist?

I've never really bragged about my job, I'm only a BA,on a few hundred a day, and a slave to a big Corporation. My point was that I'm more relevantly placed to garner some kind of understanding of Albion's financial plight than some work shy Lecturer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
:ohmy:

Oh no, he called me work shy. I am taking tomorrow off work now to cope with the mental anguish.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
straight talk said:
I've never really bragged about my job, I'm only a BA,on a few hundred a day, and a slave to a big Corporation. My point was that I'm more relevantly placed to garner some kind of understanding of Albion's financial plight than some work shy Lecturer.

I'm just a humble lorry driver, but I know bullshit when I smell it!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
straight talk said:
out of interest which particular part?

Which part of shit?. Why are you an expert?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here