Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tossers at kids football matches

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
once again that't the theory .................. you speak like I have not spent the last six years every Saturday morning in the season on a touchline, running the line, reffing on occasions and then managing the team for the last three years.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
bhaexpress said:
Actually aside from restraining people and saying such trite offerings as 'Its not worth it' there wasn't a whole lot I could do. To wade in would be a bit pointless as they were not my children for a start and frankly it would hardly be setting a good example would it ? Two wrongs etc.

Quite right fella. Wading in would be completely the wrong thing and it would set a very bad example to the kids playing the game. I've explained in an earlier post how I try to deal with intimidation and i'm very interested how other people deal with it! Reporting it is all well & good after the event, But it's what people do to try & nullify it when it first starts that i'm interested in.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Smack the arrogant fucker in the chops and stick his head down a rabbit hole! then tell him to grow up!

Easy!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
bhanutz said:
Smack the arrogant fucker in the chops and stick his head down a rabbit hole! then tell him to grow up!

Easy!

Subtle approach! :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I remember taking I think U11s to a tournament over in Eastbourne and it kicked off between the parents of one team and we won 7 - 1 in a 10 minute game and scored an OG.

The opposition were more interested in what their parents were arguing about between then then started on each other - parents have a massive influence on kids football games.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Its easy to always assume that the problem is down to over aggressive, win at all costs type dads. And fair enough, there's plenty of them around. But don't forget that the players aren't all 7 year old angels.

I admit that as a dad I was sent off from a match watching my son at under 16s age. I was on the pitch to check my son was still alive and concious after he was scythed down by one opposition player and elbowed in the head by another. When one of them thought he'd bad mouth me I cracked and took a swing at him. I missed, which is probably good news.

Do I regret it? No. At the time my mine concern was not being at the match to back up the kids and the parents of our team if things turned nastier. But there's no way that I was going to stand a few yards away and see my son get beaten up by a couple of thugs.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I know it's taking this thread down a different line but I think there's so much wrong with youth football in this country. The pressure & stress kids are under years before they can even think about getting a pro contract is so wrong. Apart from the parents expectations lets look at the amount of football they have to play, By the time they are 11 they can be playing school, club, rep & training & playing for pro clubs. Thats far too much & people wonder why the likes of Michael Owen are physical wrecks by the time they hit they're mid 20's. I think it's france who don't let they're kids play competitive football before they get to 14 & look how many stars they're bringing through!

I'm a Primary School teacher and thoroughly enjoy coaching and running our school team.

What has really struck me about 11 year old footballers is how impressionable they are. I've made a big efort to make sure they play to win, are competitive, but to respect decisions and the opposition. I encourage them to compete for the ball, but to accept the fact they will sometimes get tackled hard themselves (and not moan about being "hacked"). It has worked well and the kids play competitively but fair.

It is easy to see though that if they are just left to get on with it there way, often fuelled by parental comments from the side (agree with the points that the mums are the worst); games could easily degenerate into swearing, moaning and very unsporting behaviour.

From my experience, this stems from society's problems. The way to tackle it in my opinion is the zero tolerance approach - if parents and or children are not able to behave they should not be allowed to play. Unfortunately. for many teams I'd imagine it is often easier said than done, as it's often the best players who are the worst offenders (now why might that be??...).

Domsdad said:
Its easy to always assume that the problem is down to over aggressive, win at all costs type dads. And fair enough, there's plenty of them around. But don't forget that the players aren't all 7 year old angels.

I admit that as a dad I was sent off from a match watching my son at under 16s age. I was on the pitch to check my son was still alive and concious after he was scythed down by one opposition player and elbowed in the head by another. When one of them thought he'd bad mouth me I cracked and took a swing at him. I missed, which is probably good news.

Do I regret it? No. At the time my mine concern was not being at the match to back up the kids and the parents of our team if things turned nastier. But there's no way that I was going to stand a few yards away and see my son get beaten up by a couple of thugs.

Wasn't there a referee present to take matters to task?

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
There was a referee - it was he who sent me off. I guess he must have been about 16 years old. He was certainly smaller and looked younger than all of the opposition and most of my son's team. Doing his best I suppose but not wanting to upset them too much for obvious reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here