Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tossers at kids football matches

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Jam The Man said:
Have to admit the 'competitive dad syndrome' is embarassing.. saw it quite a lot when my step son used to play... some of the dads of other teams were such total tossers. The manager of my lad's team always made sure that the parents of our team were level headed!

To be honest there are at least three players I have not signed having seen their parents :lolol: :lolol:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
A ref I know always says that he would rather referee a match between two pissed up pub sides on a sunday morning than a kids match because the parents make his job so difficult and give him more grief.

I can vouch for this merely in the capacity of regular linesman at kids games, altho' in fairness it is only a minority that I, as a grown, up feel intimidated by when making decisions.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There are far too many idiots watching kids football.

Having been involved for many years in running sides I have seen things get worse over the years.

I'm afraid that a lot of the time it comes down to the attitude of the teams Manager. If the kids are told by their coach that 'winning at all costs' is the most important thing then this attitude tends to rub off on the watching parents.

I've heard some remarks/language that wouldn't be tolerated at Withdean - and most of the time it comes from parents/supporters who know sweet FA about football or how it should be played.

Too many people (including coaches) are simply pushing their kids into football because they weren't any good themselves and in some way think that they own children can make up for their own shortcomings, and they seem to think that bawling abuse at the opposition is in some way going to help their own players.

The standard of Coachig in Youth Football overall is quite simply shocking. (I think this is what Trevor Brooking is concerned about at the moment) - Dads with little knowledge take over a team as their son plays in it, however they themselves need to be taught how to coach.

Unfortunatley however the FA don't help to encourage more Coaches to progress through their badges as the majority of coaching Courses are done during the day, Monday-Friday rather that at weekends/evenings, meaning those who want to progress with their badges have to take holiday to do so.

No wonder the Premier league is so full of overseas players.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fairly good summary there as I have only ever attended one FA training weekend and have managed a team for seven years.

The FA need to get these courses more available and I have no training on child protection but renewed my coaching licence by reading a book and answering a simple multiple choice paper on line.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
bhaexpress said:
Seen it a few times watching my nephews. Worst place I ever saw was Denton, load of tossers there, they would try and intimidate the opposition, how pathetic is that ? They should have been kicked out of the league.

Thanks for your opinion. But you shouldn't tar all teams at a club with the same brush. My son plays for Denton and we have NEVER had a problem playing against any side. Which age group is it you have problems with?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Coach said:
Thanks for your opinion. But you shouldn't tar all teams at a club with the same brush. My son plays for Denton and we have NEVER had a problem playing against any side. Which age group is it you have problems with?

See what I said about the U15s - no problem at all bar one bad decision on calling a game off.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
The current Under 15's? Managed by a nice chap called Mark. Never hear of any problems with them, they're a nice bunch of lads.
Re the pitch - unfortunately, we suffer flooding 4 months of the year and are raising funds to replace the pitch. Sorry to hear the pitch wasn't inspected early enough to save you a trip - but these mistakes do happen occasionally. We're all only human!
One of our mini soccer sides played a local game the other week, where the parents of the opposition threw insults at an obviously disabled member of our team. So you can get bad parents at every club.
Denton won Charter Standard Club of the Year for the South East Region this year, beating over 300 other junior clubs. So we cant be ALL bad, eh?!

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
And you find in these instances there's two sides to every story - I'm sure the Denton parents in question (being kindly called 'chavs' and worse on here) would give a different version of events.
The shame of it is, it's never the kids. They just want to get on and play football - it's the over enthusiastic parents making a scene. A very good idea is to make them stand 10 feet away from the pitch either side. Justs puts a bit more of a buffer in.

Mrs C by the way.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I know the pitch has been an issue for a while and there are plans to do something about it.

Both Denton and ASC share one thing in this age group - both had to endue a broken leg incident, not much fun at all.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I'm not sure the Junior Seagulls are actually involved officially with the club? I know when we've seen them at tournaments, they've worn the kit and stuff - but I'm sure the ACTUAL youth sides at the Albion starts at age U9? It's a bit confusing - I've not quite sussed out yet if there's TWO junior sides - one officially with the club and one unofficially?
Anyone know?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well the U15s one is based at Poynings that we played today and one of their players was with us last season so therefore apart from kit provision (thankfully they had yellow away shirts) they are not a feeder for BHAFC

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
And to go back to the original poster - supaseagull, we played you last year, and I'm sure you can confirm, you had no problems with Denton! We had a good friendly, competative couple of games. Although we're in different sides of the league now, if you have a free week and want a friendly, just give us a call.
Sorry to hear one of your kids was subject to such intimidation today. The adult concerned should be ashamed of himself (that's if he can spell the word!)

Mrs C.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Coach said:
Beach Hut - is Del still with you at ASC? Mr Coach was on his level 1 course with him!

Mrs C.

Del runs the U8s

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
i played in the game were one bloke bit another blokes ear off after the match, he then ran away to hide in some shops at the court case he said he was diabled and turned up on crutches :nono:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Coach said:

Granted it was a few years ago, maybe the league straightened your team's parents out but as you can see I'm not the only person with a low opinion of North Newhaven. Of course it didn't help the act that my nephew played for Southdown Rovers who were at that time virtually unbeatable and in fact far superior to Denton.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here