Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tossers at kids football matches

bhaexpress said:
Granted it was a few years ago, maybe the league straightened your team's parents out but as you can see I'm not the only person with a low opinion of North Newhaven. Of course it didn't help the act that my nephew played for Southdown Rovers who were at that time virtually unbeatable and in fact far superior to Denton.

and with smug twats like you on the sidelines who can blame the Denton lot for trying to knock you off your pedestals.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
and with smug twats like you on the sidelines who can blame the Denton lot for trying to knock you off your pedestals.

What's smug about that ? Plain fact but you're too ignorant to know any better, I bet you're the type that likes to abuse teenagers. If you read the whole thread you'll see I'm not the only person who says that about Denton.

:tosser:

Last edited:

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Nothing has cahnged in 20 years... I remember playing in under 15, 14 games etc... where a supporter instructed her dog to bite our left backs arse, games where our centre back decked the opposing manager and even one where an opposing supporter stuck his leg out and tripped me up as I steamed down the wing. Strangely enough most of them came out of Whitehawk minus a wing mirror or with a flat tyre.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gluteus Maximus said:
Nothing has cahnged in 20 years... I remember playing in under 15, 14 games etc... where a supporter instructed her dog to bite our left backs arse, games where our centre back decked the opposing manager and even one where an opposing supporter stuck his leg out and tripped me up as I steamed down the wing. Strangely enough most of them came out of Whitehawk minus a wing mirror or with a flat tyre.

Its fair to say that certain teams from certain areas were worse than others although I recall my rather mild mannered brother getting another parent by the throat after a rough Southdown verses Hassocks game. It seems to be far more common once the kids reach their later teans when it's harder and more competitive in my experience.

bhaexpress said:
What's smug about that ?

Read it again and see if it sounds smug to you. Of course it didn't help the act that my nephew played for Southdown Rovers who were at that time virtually unbeatable and in fact far superior to Denton.

No?

Plain fact but you're too ignorant to know any better, I bet you're the type that likes to abuse teenagers. If you read the whole thread you'll see I'm not the only person who says that about Denton.

:tosser:

I have read the whole thread thanks, and I have also seen a number of people defend Denton. It's nice of you to make a sweeping generalisation on my own behaviour based on that post. How does my thinking that people may take exception to your smug and patronising views mean that I like to abuse teenagers? One again you have proved yourself to be clueless.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Read it again and see if it sounds smug to you. Of course it didn't help the act that my nephew played for Southdown Rovers who were at that time virtually unbeatable and in fact far superior to Denton.

No?

I have read the whole thread thanks, and I have also seen a number of people defend Denton. It's nice of you to make a sweeping generalisation on my own behaviour based on that post. How does my thinking that people may take exception to your smug and patronising views mean that I like to abuse teenagers? One again you have proved yourself to be clueless.

Of course you actually know what you're talking about having had years of following junior football, I doubt it so yes you are a gobby wanker. The point I was trying to make but you were too stupid to understand was that Denton knew they were inferior (and this happens all over) so their 'followers' try to intimidate the opposition. One thing when its an adult side but quite another when its kids.

You're the clueless one (again).

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Bromley shrimp said:
Is about the size of it often. One funny incident I had was when a 16 year old ref and the manager came up to me out of the blue and wanted to start after my boy's team had just won 3-2 away. I could have laughed it off, but they were called Palace Guard and the CPFC emblems on their track suits just made me see red so I just stood there and fronted them until a third member of their team pulled them away. It's funny looking back, but I was fully prepared to do the honourable thing.

It kicked off yesterday when the mums of the team James was playing against started a ruckus with each other after we had demolished them 5-2.

Wo-oo-hoo!!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
my boy played for SAFA rep sides and parents were kept away from the sidelines and told by the coaches to button their lips or your child would not be playing in the future. This approach worked

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Stinky Kat said:
my boy played for SAFA rep sides and parents were kept away from the sidelines and told by the coaches to button their lips or your child would not be playing in the future. This approach worked

Some clubs are run like that but unfortunately some aren't.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Coach said:
Several of our teams were 'virtually' unbeaten last year. But I dont remember any of them describing themselves as 'superior'. Rather poor and adversarial choice of words.

Okay, under provocation you might say but Southdown were top of the league at the time and went on to win it convincingly were as Denton were mid table with a moderate goal difference, what would you call that ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
There are far too many idiots watching kids football.

Having been involved for many years in running sides I have seen things get worse over the years.

I'm afraid that a lot of the time it comes down to the attitude of the teams Manager. If the kids are told by their coach that 'winning at all costs' is the most important thing then this attitude tends to rub off on the watching parents.

I've heard some remarks/language that wouldn't be tolerated at Withdean - and most of the time it comes from parents/supporters who know sweet FA about football or how it should be played.

Too many people (including coaches) are simply pushing their kids into football because they weren't any good themselves and in some way think that they own children can make up for their own shortcomings, and they seem to think that bawling abuse at the opposition is in some way going to help their own players.

The standard of Coachig in Youth Football overall is quite simply shocking. (I think this is what Trevor Brooking is concerned about at the moment) - Dads with little knowledge take over a team as their son plays in it, however they themselves need to be taught how to coach.

Unfortunatley however the FA don't help to encourage more Coaches to progress through their badges as the majority of coaching Courses are done during the day, Monday-Friday rather that at weekends/evenings, meaning those who want to progress with their badges have to take holiday to do so.

No wonder the Premier league is so full of overseas players.

As part of an initative to spread football even more globally the FA recently ran the entry level coaching course in Taiwan. It was run in English with the idea that it would produce coaches for the local European and American schools and also Taiwanese youngsters who were learning English.

They clearly didn't do their research though. If they had they'd have known that most ex pats are either contract workers or teachers with a set schedule and getting time off in the week is impossible. Final assesment day was Monday.......

Last edited:

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I'd call it Southdown won the league (and jolly well done to you) and Denton came mid table, along with many other sides no doubt. You haven't told me which current age group this side you had problems with are - there well over 200 families involved with Denton, most of them very pleasant people. Please dont talk about 'Denton' in general - you only had a problem with one age group, and I'm sure they have a side to the story too.
Are they still even playing? Or are they over 16 now and gone, and you still hold a grudge against the club as a whole?

bhaexpress said:
Of course you actually know what you're talking about having had years of following junior football, I doubt it so yes you are a gobby wanker. The point I was trying to make but you were too stupid to understand was that Denton knew they were inferior (and this happens all over) so their 'followers' try to intimidate the opposition. One thing when its an adult side but quite another when its kids.

You're the clueless one (again).

Once again you jump to huge conclusions without knowing a f***ing thing about me. You have no idea whether or not I've been involved in junior football, you just decide I'm a gobby wanker. In fact I spent years following and coaching a junior football side when my younger brother was playing for one, but that really is none of your business.

I understood your point entirely, but took from it that if a team turns up with a superiority complex then you can hardly blame the opposition for wanting to try to knock them down, especially to shut the twats like you up on the sidelines. It's a different thing entirely to actually have a go at the kids, and completely unacceptable to physically threaten any of the kids, but to make a noise, encourage and to let both teams know as loud as possible that the opposition are beatable is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Now, do you want to have another pop at me based on a sweeping generalisation or do you want to just shut the f*** up?

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
And I can say, having seen a couple of grudges against Denton on here, there has NOT been an official complaint made against Denton whilst I've been involved with them in the last couple of years to my knowledge.
Is this all bad blood from years ago?
I'd not be crass enough to name the clubs that some of our age groups have had aggravation from as I wouldn't want people to judge that club on the bad behaviour of one of its sets of supporters. We make official complaints if we have a genuine grievance, not whinge about it!

Anyway, enough said on the subject. Sermon endeth here.

Mrs C.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Coach said:
And I can say, having seen a couple of grudges against Denton on here, there has NOT been an official complaint made against Denton whilst I've been involved with them in the last couple of years to my knowledge.
Is this all bad blood from years ago?
I'd not be crass enough to name the clubs that some of our age groups have had aggravation from as I wouldn't want people to judge that club on the bad behaviour of one of its sets of supporters. We make official complaints if we have a genuine grievance, not whinge about it!

Anyway, enough said on the subject. Sermon endeth here.

Mrs C.

Just as an example I gather that Denton were actually warned a few years ago and have obviously taken heed.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My son plays for Withdean (currently at U14 level) and has been with the club since he was 6. For all but last season he played along side Glen Geard's younger son Billy. Glen has a bit of a 'reputation' but he used to come to all the Withdean games and he was as good as gold. I think, having been a pro, he realised that the result of an U9s match was not the most important thing in the world.

Interestingly in my experience the standard of parental behaviour has got better as the boys have got older. When they were younger there were a couple of set-to's between rival parents (no blows but a lot of stupid verbals). I think when the boys are younger some of the more 'excitable' parents think that their lad is going to be the next Wayne Rooney and desparately want them to be the best player on the pitch. When the boys get older and the parents realise little Johnny isn't going to be their meal ticket for life an element of realisim kicks in and they accept that it is just young lads having a bit of fun.

The rivalries thing is interesting too. At our age group Withdean have always been one of the stronger sides. There are a few other good sides as well and over the years we always seem to be playing League deciders, cup and tournament finals against Southdown Rovers or Polegate Grasshoppers. All the parents get on pretty well! We always say "Oh, hello, how are you, how's it been going, etc etc". Better than screaming abuse at each other.

Final point - beware boys who've played for lots of different clubs. In my experience they tend to be the ones with pushy and/or potentially violent parents. We've had a couple over the years and most have been moved on again.

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Brovian said:
My son plays for Withdean (currently at U14 level) and has been with the club since he was 6. For all but last season he played along side Glen Geard's younger son Billy. Glen has a bit of a 'reputation' but he used to come to all the Withdean games and he was as good as gold. I think, having been a pro, he realised that the result of an U9s match was not the most important thing in the world.

Interestingly in my experience the standard of parental behaviour has got better as the boys have got older. When they were younger there were a couple of set-to's between rival parents (no blows but a lot of stupid verbals). I think when the boys are younger some of the more 'excitable' parents think that their lad is going to be the next Wayne Rooney and desparately want them to be the best player on the pitch. When the boys get older and the parents realise little Johnny isn't going to be their meal ticket for life an element of realisim kicks in and they accept that it is just young lads having a bit of fun.

The rivalries thing is interesting too. At our age group Withdean have always been one of the stronger sides. There are a few other good sides as well and over the years we always seem to be playing League deciders, cup and tournament finals against Southdown Rovers or Polegate Grasshoppers. All the parents get on pretty well! We always say "Oh, hello, how are you, how's it been going, etc etc". Better than screaming abuse at each other.

Final point - beware boys who've played for lots of different clubs. In my experience they tend to be the ones with pushy and/or potentially violent parents. We've had a couple over the years and most have been moved on again.

There are some exceptions!!

:blush:

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Brovian said:

Excellent points! Especially about the boys playing for different clubs - two asked to leave by us, have then also been moved on by Seaford for the same reasons!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here