Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory voters- where do you go from here?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes, this could be a side affect of that protest voting shift.....

Note: I do add however, that if those disaffected Cons who voted LD got a whiff that the LD could get get power... the one policy that would possibly see them jump back to the Cons is the LD policy of attempting a rejoin of the EU.
I would expect them not to have voted Lib Dem this time around. The Brexit split wasn't along traditional left/right trends - many Tories would be happy to have remained, and possibly to rejoin.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Anyone who think Labour will change anything for the good , will be in for a shock , they have failed every time they have been in power
Yeah it's not like Labour have ever made any lasting changes to have benefited the country.

NHS, Welfare State, Minimum wage are all small beer compared to tories selling off our national industries, privatisation for pals, decimating stock of social housing.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I would expect them not to have voted Lib Dem this time around. The Brexit split wasn't along traditional left/right trends - many Tories would be happy to have remained, and possibly to rejoin.
I think they did, LD gained 63 seats, they certainly didn't gain from Labour or the SNP...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yeah it's not like Labour have ever made any lasting changes to have benefited the country.

NHS, Welfare State, Minimum wage are all small beer compared to tories selling off our national industries, privatisation for pals, decimating stock of social housing.
All day drinking, right to roam and loads more we now take for granted.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think they did, LD gained 63 seats, they certainly didn't gain from Labour or the SNP...
Yes - I mean that those who switched to LD this time around are more likely to have been remainer Tories anyway - so a policy of rejoining EU isn't likely to make them go back to the Tories.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Don't forget PFI and Student tuition fees

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They have to move back to the centre - even Mad Nad thinks moving towards Reform is a bad move. Who will lead them though is another matter as all the good ones were kicked out years ago.
I immediately assumed Hunt would grab the reigns and lead the party back to the centre.
But it is unlikely he would have support from what's left of the parliamentary party.
Mordaunt would have been a decent half-way choice, but she's gone.

I suspect that the bulk of the remaining MPs would lean to the Right, making a merge with Reform a possibility.
Th tories are in disarray and will soend much of the next term trying to form a united front.
But the talent pool is seriously depleted.

I suspect Farage realises that he may be better placed after the next election.
Anderson and Farage will continue to get lots of media coverage and can continue to say whatever they like.
Their poularity could well continue to increase, at the expense of the Tories.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IMG_0581.jpeg

The country is more left wing than ever before , the greens are more or less a communist party, the Labour Party is more left wing than ever before , the conservatives are more like the old liberals, which is why the conservatives lost , they have no leaders , and have moved too far from their core values , and were no longer fit for purpose,
Anyone who think Labour will change anything for the good , will be in for a shock , they have failed every time they have been in power

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Let’s be brutally honest, from today it only gets slowly better for the Tories, equally as of today it will slowly get worse for the Labour Party.
It gets slowly better, if the party can unite.
It will be interesting to see who emerges as the next leader and on what agenda.
I find it hard to identify a good candidate, to unify the party, from the remaining MPs.

Personally I think it would be best for Sunak to stand down, force a by-election and parachute in Mordaunt.
Who would you like to see as the next leader?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Before gloating too much let’s see how the Toolmaker’s son does?

He deserves a go, I accept, but he does not fill me with confidence. Time will tell
That’s really big of you. hedge Fund manager who got rich out of the financial crash or a tool makers son? If you have to ask then you must really like being screwed over.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The country is more left wing than ever before , the greens are more or less a communist party, the Labour Party is more left wing than ever before , the conservatives are more like the old liberals, which is why the conservatives lost , they have no leaders , and have moved too far from their core values , and were no longer fit for purpose,

Skip to 34 seconds for Blackadder thoughts on your post.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

@tigertim68 should be congratulated on posting one of the most stupid things i’ve ever seen on NSC.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Except that:

2019 Labour: 10,269,051 (32.1%)
2023 Labour: 9,712,011 (33.8%)

Labour really haven't moved much. In fact less turned out for them. Which brings me to my point.

Reform won this election for Labour. And, for what my uninformed opinion is worth, it means we will see a merger of views between them and the Tories. The eye will be on the 2029 election and there only being a handful of Refrom MPs makes no odds. The Tories will have the fact that Reform are second in around 100 seats in mind. And, more importantly, they wooed their hardcore.

So I give you- Suella Braverman who will be chomping at the bit for the chance. A person of colour with right wing views. The perfect candidate. The darling of the haters.

No more wishy washy centre ground. The media will be on board, the culture war explodes. Labour was to be the end of it. Wrong, it's the start.

JRM was asked about Farage early this morning. Would the Tory party join with Reform ? He batted off the question and instead of 'Mr Farage' it was 'Nigel'. That was enough for me. The Tories didn't attack him personally in the campaign, they just (rightly) said a vote for him was a vote for Labour. But now they need him. Or, perhaps, need to become like him. Or he will destroy them.

Red wall example of my point:

View attachment 185250
The combined Reform and Conservative vote is 50%.
Undoubtedly Reform won it for Labour as they did for the Tories in 2019.

I agree with your hypothetical scenario.
It seems a reasonable possibility, but I think it will take longer than 2029.
Farage doesn't have enough seats to give him the upper hand, in negotiations.
He will benefit from continuing to undermine a Tory party in disarray.
I could see a scenario where Reform increase their MPs in 2029 and then Farage would take over as Leader of a merged party in 2034.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the Tories could do with getting Cameron back as Leader. It was a joy to watch him destroy Brown then Corbyn repeatedly at PMQs...every single week. He would have Starmer on toast. What an uninspiring lot Labour are. A party who can't look after it's own finances expected to look after those of Britain. Cameron gets a lot of bad press but he delivered on a Brexit referendum that Brown or Corbyn didn't and, as not being Pro-Brexit himself stood down. I happen to think that was the correct thing to do. He cannot of foreseen the utter chaos May and those that followed did that saw an unelectable Labour Party not only catch up but overtake what should have been an unassailable lead at the polls. The utter stupidity of some of the Tory actions beggars belief so much so that I don't understand true senior Tories like Ken Clark and the 1922 Committee just sacking incompetent Cabinet members. We wouldn't be here now.
As has been mentioned earlier, I too am worried for my pension. Starmer will get rid of the Triple Lock I'm convinced of it. Just let things die down and he will go against everything he said. I live in Shoreham and have never seen a Labour representative, I thought they'd given it up which shows just how bad the present Tory Party are. This was nothing but a protest vote in that it would have been very close had it not been such a low turnout and that Reform were taking so many votes. A victory is a victory but this doesn't feel like a resounding vote of confidence in Starmer & Co to me. This administration is going to be painful in so many ways. Starmer, Cooper, Lammy.....really?
This type of comment is typical of the sportification of Politics.
No-one ever gets "destroyed" at the ballot-box, it's just about cheering on your team.

MPs are our servants, not our football teams, they should be judged on what they deliver for us, not who got the best zingers this week.
PMQs should be scrapped.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This type of comment is typical of the sportification of Politics.
No-one ever gets "destroyed" at the ballot-box, it's just about cheering on your team.

MPs are our servants, not our football teams, they should be judged on what they deliver for us, not who got the best zingers this week.
PMQs should be scrapped.
Didn't William Hague regularly have the better of Blair at PMQs?

That did him a lot of good. :lolol:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Red wall example of my point:

View attachment 185250
The combined Reform and Conservative vote is 50%.
You can't just add the Conservative and Reform votes together.

There's all sorts of reasons for people to vote for different parties, and the tories shifting to the right will cost them as many votes as they'd pick up from the Conservative minded Reform side.

Also, the moment Reform dissappear or merge with the Tories, the dedicated protest voters will just dissappear to vote for somebody else, just like they did when the Lib Dems went into coalition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here