Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory voters- where do you go from here?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Wasn’t sure what thread to post this on but this seemed as good as any - when stuff like this gets splashed on BBC headlines, it honestly makes me feel embarrassed to be British …guess there’s always a small proportion of the electorate who never seem to understand grown up politics at both ends of the spectrum. The sooner the Tories regroup and form a proper opposition party the sooner extremist reactionaries will be marginalised.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Wasn’t sure what thread to post this on but this seemed as good as any - when stuff like this gets splashed on BBC headlines, it honestly makes me feel embarrassed to be British …guess there’s always a small proportion of the electorate who never seem to understand grown up politics at both ends of the spectrum. The sooner the Tories regroup and form a proper opposition party the sooner extremist reactionaries will be marginalised.

Someone should tell Mr. Robinson that he's spelt 'nationalism' wrong

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Do you mean not licensed for animals?
No. Certain products such as antihistamines are suitable for both human and animals. It used to be possible for a vet to prescribe the human version which is chemically identical but vastly cheaper. Now it isn't. The law has changed in the EU and in the UK to mean that not only can a vet not prescribe the human version where a licensed aminal version exists, but it is also illegal for the vet to inform the customer that a cheaper version could be bought over the counter.
It’s not illegal for a vet to prescribe human medicines for animals. My two cats got an eye infection in 2013, which needed human eye drops. The vet wrote out a prescription which meant that I had to sign a form to agree. It was as simple as that, and within a week both cats were healed.
Actually giving the cats the eye drops was far more difficult, involving pillowcases and lots of plasters on my hands. 🐈😉
And I am confident that the vet will not be prosecuted for following the law in 2013. Unfortunately the law has changed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. Certain products such as antihistamines are suitable for both human and animals. It used to be possible for a vet to prescribe the human version which is chemically identical but vastly cheaper. Now it isn't. The law has changed in the EU and in the UK to mean that not only can a vet not prescribe the human version where a licensed aminal version exists, but it is also illegal for the vet to inform the customer that a cheaper version could be bought over the counter.

And I am confident that the vet will not be prosecuted for following the law in 2013. Unfortunately the law has changed.
I had to sign a form to ensure he followed the law because he explained it to me.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014

Big Pharma strikes again.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I had to sign a form to ensure he followed the law because he explained it to me.
I'm pretty sure he would have explained what the law was in 2013, not what the law was in 2024.

This is the latest version of the law, which has been mentioned several times by vets in letters to the Daily Telegraph.

It's clear that you must ont use a human medicine if an animal equivalent has been licensed (even if the two are clinically identical) and that you cannot promote any alternative to this cascade.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Was that funny look tinged with the rudeness that she's so widely associated with?
No, probably more ‘bemusement’ I think.

It was about 6.45am. I’d just started out on an early morning 5km and she was on her driveway. I would like say she was engaged in something deliciously mundane, like putting the wheelie bin out, but that’s Tuesdays round here and it was a Wednesday.

Maybe she’s stalking me?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well, for a while now @Is it PotG? has been focusing on the planning changes, and Labour do have sizeable plans on this front, and it's going to wind up the NIMBYs no end, so I can see this being what they'll focus on. With a bit of luck though, those predominantly affected will be in complacent constituencies insisting that their rural idyll is being destroyed but few if any of these will be Labour constituencies. We need what Starmer is calling 'the vital green infrastructure', renewables and turbo-boost to housing that has been neglected for 14 years (and, in the latter case, much, much longer) if we're going to transition to net zero which is a legal requirement.
My wager is that it's this that they'll focus on over the course of the parliament while also mobilising those that are poor but don't like the thought of the rich having their pips squeaked. The larger uncertainty is how long the electorate recognises that such a policy agenda is what's required and is the route to a sustainable future.
I agree mostly with what you are saying but it’s not just NIMBYism that motivates protests against certain wind farm developments - All major conservation organisations recognise the need to move away from fossil fuels to sustainable energy supplies.

However, it has always be the bone of contention for conservation organisations not that wind farms need to be installed but they should be installed in areas where they have the least environmental impact. Research is still being carried out on offshore wind farms but many onshore wind farm applications were turned down because of their potentially unacceptable impact on the wildlife in environmentally sensitive areas not that they were a visual blot on the landscape for the rural ‘rich folk’. The latter is NIMBYism, the former a necessary precaution.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
'Pompously' is needlessly rude.

Do you genuinely think that Reform will lose all the votes it has pinched off the Tories, and that Farage and chums will lose their seats?

I'll bet you £50 now (Money to REMF) that if Farage decides to contest the next GE (he may not, in which case it is irrelevant) his party will take enough votes off the Tories to scupper their GE chances.

To put that into something measurable and incontestable, I mean Reform will win at least 1 seat in the next GE. This is down from what they have now, but not the total disappearance leading to a Tory government as you appear to think. If Reform win no seats then you win (even if they do succeed in preventing the Tories winning a majority).

You on?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Big Pharma strikes again.
Of course Pharma will try to make a few quid. But in this case it is more likely careless government.

Humans are prescribed (by law) the cheapest generics. My statin prescription is filled with a different generic every time. This is like Tesco own bran ibuprofen (one tenth the cost of chemically identical neurophen) rather than own brand tomato catsup (which is not the same ah Heinz and tastes different).

Why vetmed can't use generic drugs is beyond me.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Of course Pharma will try to make a few quid. But in this case it is more likely careless government.

Humans are prescribed (by law) the cheapest generics. My statin prescription is filled with a different generic every time. This is like Tesco own bran ibuprofen (one tenth the cost of chemically identical neurophen) rather than own brand tomato catsup (which is not the same ah Heinz and tastes different).

Why vetmed can't use generic drugs is beyond me.
Ask yourself why Drugs cost more in the USA than either Canada or Mexico and why can't they legally be imported into the USA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ask yourself why Drugs cost more in the USA than either Canada or Mexico and why can't they legally be imported into the USA.
I believe part of the reason the US has such a high price for patented drugs is they don’t have a single-buyer process like Canada. A single Canadian body negotiates the price and has buying power, whereas in the US it’s loads of individual insurance companies.

As for exporting into the US….why do this as it will undercut their higher price? Note I’m talking about patented drugs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Corrupt politicians in thrall to Pharma? Or just part of the lazy protectionist capitalism that Americans think is patriotic?

Consider the 'opiate crisis' in the US. Oxycontin (Oxycodone). How any properly trained medic could possibly think that prescribing an opiate in the whilly-nilly manner it was prescribed is beyond me. Except it isn't. Pharmacology training for US medics is assessed by MCQ (I sat the US pharmacology exam in 1983) and you cannot assess nuance and judgment by MCQ.

That said pharmacology training for medics isn't all that in the UK either. I was asked to do some first year pharmacology teaching some years ago, but found that so much was crammed into so little time it was so dumbed down as to be misleading, so I refuse to do it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here