Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I get the impression you think Labour will follow the Tory lead when you describe them as doing as they please! I think most don't believe that they will be lining their own pockets, those of their local landlord, giving peerages to suspected relatives (whether daughter or sister), appointing to offices of state people who are clearly incapable or having secret meetings with other states with no civil servants to record the events etc etc.
You shouldn’t talk about Blair like that 🤣🤣🤣

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It continues to be a great mystery what the Conservative Party inner circle see in Conservative Party chair Richard Holden given he has pissed off a lot of candidates with his last minute parachute candidacy in Basildon while still being terrible at representing the party in the media. He just seems utterly surplus to requirements.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It continues to be a great mystery what the Conservative Party inner circle see in Conservative Party chair Richard Holden given he has pissed off a lot of candidates with his last minute parachute candidacy in Basildon while still being terrible at representing the party in the media. He just seems utterly surplus to requirements.

Since 2019 election, there have been 9 different 'chairman' of party! Continuity anyone??

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
GPsyshsXIAAfTp4.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Remember the tory attack on Ed Milliband along the lines of 'Vote Labour, get the SNP'? It seems obvious that anybody voting Reform to defeat the tories, may eventually, just be getting the tories.

There is a cigarette paper between the Reform approach to immigration and the headbanger end of the tory party as represented by Braverman. Farage has always been able to play both sides, pretending that, had he been in the tory cabinet, he would have made any different calls on Brexit and immigration. Throughout the referendum and it's aftermath he's been front and centre in arguing for the impossible and undeliverable, whilst never having to deliver it himself. Were he to become part of the party he is currently pretending he wants to destroy, this cloak of immunity from blame would have to be cast off and he'd finally have to engage with the real world.

It won't happen Suella. It wouldn't serve his purpose. He is making millions and thoroughly enjoying the celebrity he gets from being a heckler. Were he forced into being a stand up, his one joke would be stale very quickly and he knows he'd be gonged off before you could say: "Dog whistling chancer using scare tactics to prey upon the worst instincts of the significant segment of the British population that is terrified of change and wants to live in a rose coloured fantasy of what things were like back when we had an empire."

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm still at a loss to understand why this country's media, that seemed to ask Jeremy Corbyn what he was doing about anti-semitism every single time they interviewed him, remains totally silent about Farage's, UKIP's and Reform's long reported connections with anti semitism, islamaphobia and racism.

I'd be very surprised if Reform are not putting up candidates with murky pasts connected to these issues. UKIP previously admitted failure to vet people https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/po...t-all-council-candidates-to-keep-out-BNP.html and they seemed a more organised political party than Reform do.
Apologies for quoting myself and saying 'told you so'. We all knew it would happen anyway, but to paraphrase Mr Benn's catchphrase: 'As if by magic, the 'nazi apologist' appeared:'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Remember the tory attack on Ed Milliband along the lines of 'Vote Labour, get the SNP'? It seems obvious that anybody voting Reform to defeat the tories, may eventually, just be getting the tories.

There is a cigarette paper between the Reform approach to immigration and the headbanger end of the tory party as represented by Braverman. Farage has always been able to play both sides, pretending that, had he been in the tory cabinet, he would have made any different calls on Brexit and immigration. Throughout the referendum and it's aftermath he's been front and centre in arguing for the impossible and undeliverable, whilst never having to deliver it himself. Were he to become part of the party he is currently pretending he wants to destroy, this cloak of immunity from blame would have to be cast off and he'd finally have to engage with the real world.

It won't happen Suella. It wouldn't serve his purpose. He is making millions and thoroughly enjoying the celebrity he gets from being a heckler. Were he forced into being a stand up, his one joke would be stale very quickly and he knows he'd be gonged off before you could say: "Dog whistling chancer using scare tactics to prey upon the worst instincts of the significant segment of the British population that is terrified of change and wants to live in a rose coloured fantasy of what things were like back when we had an empire."
Yup. His whole shtick is being a perpetual outsider who dips out of politics and then back in again to ramp up his profile at key moments. The last thing he wants is the responsibility of power.
This makes him unlike the Conservatives who he's often compared with, who want power more than anything, so that they can protect the establishment that they represent so effectively. Tories holding power is often not to do something but, rather, to prevent other parties from.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apologies for quoting myself and saying 'told you so'. We all knew it would happen anyway, but to paraphrase Mr Benn's catchphrase: 'As if by magic, the 'nazi apologist' appeared:'

Female soldiers make him wretch but women are spongers!

It‘s not the first time Reform have been caught out with misogynistic views. Has he apologised because he’s been found out or because he means it?
Answers on a postage stamp please.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Also caught lying because he claimed that
one of the things he went without as a child was Sky TV.

Sky TV was launched in 1998 when Sunak was 18.
Well, I guess technically he went without it in the same way I went without flying cars and jet packs

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Well, I guess technically he went without it in the same way I went without flying cars and jet packs
Bah I was misled by twitter, Sky launched in 1989, Sky Digital launched in 1998.

Should have checked because I remember my dad having some form of Sky box (although it might have been a adapted one) that he watched his 'french' films on.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Bah I was misled by twitter, Sky launched in 1989, Sky Digital launched in 1998.

Should have checked because I remember my dad having some form of Sky box (although it might have been a adapted one) that he watched his 'french' films on.
Regardless, using Sky TV as an example of something he "went without" is not going to endear him with many. That's still, IMO, an answer that says "I'm out of touch". Sky TV is the least of the "going without" worries for so many out there today. He'll have alienated a lot of voters who are currently making very difficult choices when doing their grocery shopping, reliant on hand-me-downs that have already been handed down multiple times for school uniforms, etc. Their choices aren't "can we afford Sky TV?" ... their choices are "do I keep my kids fed or warm?"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Also caught lying because he claimed that
one of the things he went without as a child was Sky TV.

Sky TV launched in 1998 when Sunak was 18.
It's genuinely incredible just how staggeringly inept this man is at being a politician.

Jul 20, 2003
I am grateful for Rishi and the Conservatives having a plan, but as always the devil is in the detail. It would be useful to understand the phasing of the £12bn savings on welfare. Will it be year 2 or year 3 when we start eating the poor and the sick?

I wouldn't bother with me, I'm mainly gristle.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I am grateful for Rishi and the Conservatives having a plan, but as always the devil is in the detail. It would be useful to understand the phasing of the £12bn savings on welfare. Will it be year 2 or year 3 when we start eating the poor and the sick?
The Tories have been promising 'welfare savings' and crackdowns on 'scroungers' every year since 1979 - you'd think that even the most brain-dead Daily Mail reader would roll their eyes at such claims by now.

Of course, if the Tories were serious about curbing the welfare bill, they'd tackle employers who pay poverty wages, and landlords charging exorbitant rents, because both of these are today a major cause of welfare 'dependency' - 48% of Universal Credit claimants are in paid employment, but their wages are low enough to make them eligible to claim top-up benefits, while £18 billion annually is allocated via Housing Benefit to assist tenants who cannot afford their rent.

So an increasing amount of welfare spending is subsidising employers who pay crap wages, and rip-off landlords. Oddly enough, the Tories never go after these parasites and scumbags when announcing yet another populist welfare crack-down.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting change of tack by the Tories over the last day or two. They're now working hard to prevent a 'Labour super-majority' and a parliament with less than 100 Tory MPs. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with this one, but perhaps they've finally recognised that no-one likes them any more and the last 14 years have been disastrous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here