Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
thank you tb; how could i forget, the oligarchs' mouthpiece!

an astonishing deception tho, millions hoodwinked, and none of them any the wiser seven years later :facepalm::lolol:
It goes back a lot further than than 7 years. Try 40 years.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There’ll be multiple camps, of which these are but a few;

Some people got very rich over the last few years, they won’t vote for the gravy train to stop when there’s still taxpayers cash to be funnelled into their Cayman Island accounts.

Some regard the toppling of Thatcher as the Communist revolution and that Keir Starmer is basically Lenin.

Some are brainwashed by the tabloid press to believe the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson are “men of the people”.

Some are just racist twats.
Some think they can be trusted on the economy.
Some think that they've proven -- again and again -- that they can be trusted to look after the nation's finances.
Some think they are the natural party of government, and no other party can do a better job than them.
Some think they are a safe pair of hands.
Some think that they ought to vote for them because that's what they've always done.
Some think that voting for the Tories is what old people do, or should do
Some think ...

Jul 20, 2003
I have put a cheeky tenner on Selby and Ainsty still voting Tory @ 6/1. The Labour candidate is called 'Keir Mather' .... I went to Selby 20 years ago and the people I met were almost cartoonish North Yorkshire. ...

ex mining community with brass door knockers on the houses they got on the cheap

Surrounding countryside was gorgeous.

f*** knows what they're like now but I'm gambling that they won't vote for someone named Keir who reckons 'It's time for a Change' . ....But will vote for someone called Claire who is 'putting North Yorkshire First'.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I have put a cheeky tenner on Selby and Ainsty still voting Tory @ 6/1. The Labour candidate is called 'Keir Mather' .... I went to Selby 20 years ago and the people I met were almost cartoonish North Yorkshire. ...

ex mining community with brass door knockers on the houses they got on the cheap

Surrounding countryside was gorgeous.

f*** knows what they're like now but I'm gambling that they won't vote for someone named Keir who reckons 'It's time for a Change' . ....But will vote for someone called Claire who is 'putting North Yorkshire First'.
Notwithstanding the politics, I'd describe the area around Selby as flat, boring, drab and awful.

Jul 20, 2003
To be more to the point, rural North Yorkshire is generally proper tory country.
That Labour are even vaguely close says something about where the parties are.

I always thought 'An Inspector Calls' was set in North Yorkshire until someone told me it was the North Midlands.

Mind you though, I get a nosebleed these days when I use the Waitrose oop from t'dog track.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I always thought 'An Inspector Calls' was set in North Yorkshire until someone told me it was the North Midlands.

Mind you though, I get a nosebleed these days when I use the Waitrose oop from t'dog track.
Priestley was from Yorkshire.
I think he meant the setting to represent the industrial West Riding, i.e. Sheffield, Leeds or Bradford. Sheffield is very much "North midlands", even while being in Yorkshire.
Rural North Yorkshire is completely different, full of sheep, moors and farmers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tory MP Bob Stewart charged and pleaded Not Guilty to racial abuse, awaiting trial on November 2nd, at Westminster Magistrates Court, but still holds the Whip.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
One thing you country bumpkins may or may not be aware of.....

Local Conservatives are trying to get votes by opposing the ULEZ thing in London which is being expanded.

It's the heated debate in The Great Liar's consistency by-election and the London Mayor thing.

What they won't tell you is the scheme was introduced by Johnson, was always going to expand and is supported by central Government.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing you country bumpkins may or may not be aware of.....

Local Conservatives are trying to get votes by opposing the ULEZ thing in London which is being expanded.

It's the heated debate in The Great Liar's consistency by-election and the London Mayor thing.

What they won't tell you is the scheme was introduced by Johnson, was always going to expand and is supported by central Government.
So a rerun of the Heathrow expansion thing from some time ago which Bozo won by opposing despite it being Government policy and when it happened he didn’t lift a finger to do anything about it?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here