Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
How do you feel about the huge amount of money invested in the Tory Party by Russian " donor's " ? They are not giving it back !

Also remember that the man who had came up with the " Oven Ready Brexit Deal " which now needs renegotiation BTW, put the son of a Russian KGB agent in the House of Lords with the title Lord of Hampton and Siberia !

That's just piffle and fluff . . .nothing to see here, move along.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I didn't catch his name but a talking head was banging on about a no confidence vote, earlier on 5-live
All very sensible stuff, no point kicking off with the 54 votes if they can't reach the 180 total.

The conversation then went onto a successor.

A couple of names were mentioned before the fella finally said words to the effect of:-

'im not even sure Liz Truss has enough backing, just yet'.

Begging the obvious question:-

Has Boris actually been that bad?

Yes, he has. The nub of the problem here is that a) Boris is the incumbent, b) there's no single potential challenger who can command enough support yet, and c) any potential new leader who wants to 'reset' the party may need to wait until *after* Boris has led them to a spectacular election defeat and then take over to rebuild from opposition benches. Because where we are at now ... I think the electoral damage is already done, there's more to come (cost of living, further post-Brexit Trade related issues, etc) that IMO means any centrist leader wouldn't have enough time to correct the ship.

I firmly believe that "fixing the Tory party" is something that will first need to see them get defeated, and heavily, at the ballot box in a GE. That's what it took to get Labour moving in the right direction (Corbyn and his inept backers out, Starmer and a more competent cabinet in), and it'll be the same for the Tories.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Germany also had the massive task of restoring East Germany to some sort of normality after the Wall came down in 89. The pipelines to Russia were already in. Glasnost was welcome then,

The wall came down over 30 years ago. A generation ago.

Will everyone PLEASE stop defending Germany and their ties with Russia.

Interesting listen on Today this am, when a German Politian tried, and failed quite miserably to defend their reliance on Russian Oil, Coal and Gas.

Listen to Zelensky's words when judging German (in)actions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Interesting listen on Today this am, when a German Politian tried, and failed quite miserably to defend their reliance on Russian Oil, Coal and Gas.

I wonder if the defence is partly because people don't want to admit Trump was right about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its just not so simple. the ask is for Germany to put itself into deep recession, and as a consequence the rest of Europe. they cannot bring online repalcement gas (not to mention other materials going under the radar) for years. their engergy policy is based on wind/gas, without any nuclear base, and increased pipelines to Russia to support that. and then there's the substantial chemicals industry.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Just seen the odds for the next Tory leader: Truss is favourite, closely followed by Hunt, Tugendhat and Wallace - what's remarkable about that list is that the four favourites are all Remainers. The membership of the party is still firmly anti-EU and I can't see those four as front-runners.

Problem is that Hunt, Tugendhat and Wallace will split the anti-Truss vote.

She cannot become PM - she is USELESS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I remember the 70s when we were still trying to recover from the devastation of the Blitz, which was 30 years on. Some people were still living in prefabs. Yes, I'm even old enough to remember the bomb damage in Portsmouth in the 50s. I lived the for 18 months before returning to Brighton.

As for believing Trump, I haven't the foggiest what he had to say about Germany, so my opinion is not based on that.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The home secretary has been accused of misleading parliament after a high court ruling revealed that unpublished parts of a controversial policy to push back migrant dinghies in the Channel said the tactic would not be used against asylum seekers.

The pushbacks policy was finalised in autumn 2021, yet in January this year Priti Patel said pushing back migrant boats was “absolutely still policy” when she gave evidence to the Lords justice and home affairs committee. She has been accused of giving that evidence even though she knew about the unpublished clauses in the policy not to use pushbacks against asylum seekers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Christ on a bike have you seen our cultural secretary new tic tok clip… down streaming and tennis pitches and the great British internet’, she looks and sounds coked up to the eye balls.

If someone could load on here for all to see.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That title could have stopped after 'nothing' TBH. And what the hell's a tennis pitch

And why does she think that the UK has a different internet to anyone else?

Why didn't someone in her department stop this and tell her "Don't do this, you look like an idiot"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here