Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

And there, Ladies & gentleman is yet another Cabinet Minister who is desperate for the Binbag full of custard to hang on to his job. Because she wouldn't be anywhere near that position without him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The home secretary has been accused of misleading parliament after a high court ruling revealed that unpublished parts of a controversial policy to push back migrant dinghies in the Channel said the tactic would not be used against asylum seekers.

The pushbacks policy was finalised in autumn 2021, yet in January this year Priti Patel said pushing back migrant boats was “absolutely still policy” when she gave evidence to the Lords justice and home affairs committee. She has been accused of giving that evidence even though she knew about the unpublished clauses in the policy not to use pushbacks against asylum seekers.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

It's OK to mislead parliament if it isn't deliberate. :shrug:

(It's weird to think that the last honourable Tory who resigned a post due to 'miss-speaking' is Amber Rudd; seen through the haze of current obfuscation, Rudd now appears majestic, and oozing with statesmanship)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jul 20, 2003
As an aside you can get 5% on backing Macron in the French election on Smarkets.

(Not that I have put a grand on it.)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That title could have stopped after 'nothing' TBH. And what the hell's a tennis pitch

And why does she think that the UK has a different internet to anyone else?

Why didn't someone in her department stop this and tell her "Don't do this, you look like an idiot"?

Talking someone who is constantly pissed out of doing something they think is a good idea ?

Can't see it ending well :lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That title could have stopped after 'nothing' TBH. And what the hell's a tennis pitch

And why does she think that the UK has a different internet to anyone else?

Why didn't someone in her department stop this and tell her "Don't do this, you look like an idiot"?

Perhaps those in her department think they and/or the country would be better off without her and are prepared to let her keep shooting herself in the foot.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Johnson is finished.

It's really time the party and its supporters moved on.

It really amazes me people defending Johnson on LBC , there is a belief among these people he is a great PM, "he got Brexit done" is banded around alot - when he didn't, they concucted a deal that was unworkable and damaging just to get it through parliament. It shows he couldn't care less as long as he got the plaudits. Then they believe he did a great job on Covid - again, he didn't, we have the highest death rate in the world which is being kept hushed. "he got all the big decisions right" er - no he didn't. In terms of lockdowns he got them all wrong - royally. They say there are more important things going on than partygate, the idea that you can't think of more than one issue at a time. Then they argue you can't change PMs while there's a war going on, firstly, it's not a war we are in involved in and if you look at every war we were involved in, we changed our PM every time. It's like arguing we should have kept Nevile Chamberlain in charge

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It really amazes me people defending Johnson on LBC , there is a belief among these people he is a great PM, "he got Brexit done" is banded around alot - when he didn't, they concucted a deal that was unworkable and damaging just to get it through parliament. It shows he couldn't care less as long as he got the plaudits. Then they believe he did a great job on Covid - again, he didn't, we have the highest death rate in the world which is being kept hushed. "he got all the big decisions right" er - no he didn't. In terms of lockdowns he got them all wrong - royally. They say there are more important things going on than partygate, the idea that you can't think of more than one issue at a time. Then they argue you can't change PMs while there's a war going on, firstly, it's not a war we are in involved in and if you look at every war we were involved in, we changed our PM every time. It's like arguing we should have kept Nevile Chamberlain in charge

:lolol:

I suspect that another thing that we are world-beaters in is the preponderance of gammon and the extent to which they are thick as mince (apologies for mixing my meats).

(By the way, I should really have stopped you at "It really amazes me people defending Johnson on LBC"; :wink:)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
:lolol:

I suspect that another thing that we are world-beaters in is the preponderance of gammon and the extent to which they are thick as mince (apologies for mixing my meats).

(By the way, I should really have stopped you at "It really amazes me people defending Johnson on LBC"; :wink:)

I really would love to know, from the half dozen posters on NSC who are still defending Johnson, exactly what Johnson would have to do for them to change their minds and stop supporting him :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really would love to know, from the half dozen posters on NSC who are still defending Johnson, exactly what Johnson would have to do for them to change their minds and stop supporting him :lolol:

There is only one answer. Do a Churchill (join the liberals).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Baker is also in severe danger of losing his seat: he'd have to jump to a safe seat if he wanted to become leader.

It's not rejoining the EU that's the issue, I agree that no politician is going to support that (for the moment, at least) but there is the question of our future relationship with Europe. For example, rejoining the Single Market or the CU - that's what many inside the Tory party membership are worried about.

Baker is a ****, he wants to start a Tory faction group which is more libertarian, its his pet project. But how many of his constituents are asking him for this?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Baker is a ****, he wants to start a Tory faction group which is more libertarian, its his pet project. But how many of his constituents are asking him for this?
Am I right in thinking that "Libertarian" is just a cosy name for "everyone for themselves" ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally agree. I voted to leave the EU and expected us to remain in the Customs Union and Single market. Unfortunately the bungle**** bungled the negotiations and left us in this shit.

I still don't regret voting to leave the EU evenmoreso since the EU is still paying billions of euros to Putin's Russia.

Disagree with this, unlike the vast majority of your contributions. The EU is not some superstate, in stark contrast to the narrative constructed by our media. It is individual member states that have kept and extended ties with Russia, most prominently Germany, and there are historical explanations for this, such as the connection between the former Soviet Union and the former East Germany.
There is somewhat of a reassessment of Merkel going on in Germany now, and her policy towards Putin now looks extremely naive. That's got nothing to do with the EU.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Am I right in thinking that "Libertarian" is just a cosy name for "everyone for themselves" ?

it's sold as personal freedom, lower tax and smaller state but the reality is deregulation, more power to the private sector (less to workers, see P+O) with the net objective being scyphoning the country's wealth from ordiany people to the super rich, corporates, tax avoiders or anyone who donates to the Tory party.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Disagree with this, unlike the vast majority of your contributions. The EU is not some superstate, in stark contrast to the narrative constructed by our media. It is individual member states that have kept and extended ties with Russia, most prominently Germany, and there are historical explanations for this, such as the connection between the former Soviet Union and the former East Germany.
There is somewhat of a reassessment of Merkel going on in Germany now, and her policy towards Putin now looks extremely naive. That's got nothing to do with the EU.

maybe cos Russia is armed to the teeth with Nukes and Germany have none?

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
That doesn't work for me, Clive. Germany have nuclear capabilities by virtue of their affiliation with NATO.

not the same thing is it, otherwise why would we need them?

Mr P has full control and can push that red button anytime, Merkel (or whoever the new bloke is) cannot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here