Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As ridiculous as it sounds, I think Boris will survive this and recover his ratings. Nowt as queer as folk.

I don’t. I think he might cling on as leader but I’m really not getting any sort of vibe that the public are prepared to “forgive and forget” on this one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber - Plato

Noses in the trough, the lot of 'em.

Yes as pointed out in a post above, there are honest politicians in all parties.

Generally I think that individuals find it far easier to claim 'they are all the same' or 'it makes no difference' than to admit that they have done something really stupid (often repeatedly), had the penny finally drop and actually realised that they have cocked up badly with what they have done.

As pointed out in a different post above :wink:

And again :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think you just don’t like politicians, and the saddest thing about partygate is that it will probably entrench that view.

Even sadder, why was he not thrown out after the Owen Patterson affair? Why has he not been held to account for a lack of any meaningful trade deal? Why was he not dismissed for the mismanagement of PPE contracts? Why is he not being scrutinized for the performance of the UK economy against other OECD countries? Why are we not telling him to sling his hook for risking peace in Northern Ireland?

I’d like us to see him gone for real political issues. Although I guess lying to parliament is politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the Covid fraud that has taken place under Johnson's watch. £4.3B so far written off expected to rise to £20B, huge sums

The Tories were allow to govern alone in 2015 for the first time in 18 years, 2010-15 they were moderated by the LD's, since then they've lost the plot

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber - Plato

Noses in the trough, the lot of 'em.

The belief that 'all politicians have their noses in the trough' simply reflects that person holding that belief cannot envisage anyone doing something for altruistic reasons. In other words, an assumption that everyone is as selfish and self-interested as they are.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The belief that 'all politicians have their noses in the trough' simply reflects that person holding that belief cannot envisage anyone doing something for altruistic reasons. In other words, an assumption that everyone is as selfish and self-interested as they are.

Go on then, I'll bite.

Let's have one from each Party you deem suitable to run the show.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Go on then, I'll bite.

Let's have one from each Party you deem suitable to run the show.

The point you made was that the politicians 'all had their noses in the trough'. Please provide your evidence for all 650 politicians....or was it just an empty cliche?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The point you made was that the politicians 'all had their noses in the trough'. Please provide your evidence for all 650 politicians....or was it just an empty cliche?

I am unable to say anymore at this stage, please wait until the full findings of the report have been published.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yep. That's why I am so keen on 'policing' the system. It seems that it is possible now to graze and gorge, give HMG contracts to chums, abuse the facilities for purposes of graft, and then tell barefaced lies. And now we have Johnson investigated by his own appointee, acting under his instructions.

Putin must be looking on with some admiration.

This has to stop. I just hope the decent tories have the guts to act and, if not, labour have the guts to act when the get in. I can imagine, if the latter, they will be mocked in the Mail and Times for 'taking their eye off the ball' and 'navel gazing', though. Only the likes of Trump and Johnson can claim to 'drain the swamp' and get applause (from the right) :facepalm:

So what's that other great quote? "The people get the governments they deserve". How very true.

Well there were some seriously disgruntled Tories sitting behind him asking very barbed questions. They must be counting up towards the 54 required to try and oust him.
I would've thought it would be in all the opposition parties favour to keep him in place as they have greater odds of toppling him at the next GE

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Well there were some seriously disgruntled Tories sitting behind him asking very barbed questions. They must be counting up towards the 54 required to try and oust him.
I would've thought it would be in all the opposition parties favour to keep him in place as they have greater odds of toppling him at the next GE

Good bit of ground shifting there. You endorsed a lie and that is what front bench tory MPs have been doing. No excuses.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Good bit of ground shifting there. You endorsed a lie and that is what front bench tory MPs have been doing. No excuses.

Never endorsed it just never heard that accusation until Johnson came out with it. Starmer seemed very flustered and I'm sure the truth will come out at some point one way or the other.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Amazing performance by Johnson this afternoon. I know the best form of defence can be attack but my goodness it's going low when you accuse the leader of the Opposition of letting Jimmy Saville off the hook and the Labour front bench of taking drugs. And this when you are supposedly showing some contrition and humility.
Has any PM ever misread the mood of the House so badly?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I’m not really sure you can trust a politician any more. I wonder if all of this will actually be a factor in voting in 2.5 years time?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Never endorsed it just never heard that accusation until Johnson came out with it. Starmer seemed very flustered and I'm sure the truth will come out at some point one way or the other.

Interesting swerve.... you are a true acolyte.

'Starmer was a little gobsmacked when he was reminded that he let Jimmy Saville escape prosecution by Boris. Never knew that kept it quiet'

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I don’t. I think he might cling on as leader but I’m really not getting any sort of vibe that the public are prepared to “forgive and forget” on this one.

He’ll concentrate on policies that appeal to those celebrating the anniversary of Brexit - HMS Queen Elizabeth in the Channel, between Calais and Dover, the deportation of all asylum seekers, no fishing rights for the French etc. Job done.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Rees-Mogg says Boris Johnson has a "determination to put things right" and adds that "you can't ignore a majority of 80".

He adds: "So many people voted personally for Boris Johnson rather than voting for political parties.

"Politicians have to accept that our bosses are the British people, and they voted for that, they put him in office."

Rees-Mogg calling for a general election?? Or am I reading that as badly as Boris read his own rules?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Funny isn't it ?

Just when it was really needed Ruth Davidson was a very impressive Conservative politician tonight.

If the most important thing is that they wear a blue rosette, you would have thought that [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION], [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION], [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION], [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION], [MENTION=578]portslade seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] etc etc would be backing her instead of a proven lying, duplicitous, unscrupulous, self obsessed, deceitful, unprincipled, corrupt, egotistical ****.

There couldn't be another reason, they would back Johnson over her, could there :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here