Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Starmer was a little gobsmacked when he was reminded that he let Jimmy Saville escape prosecution by Boris. Never knew that kept it quiet

I need to do more research on that....not sure what the circumstances were (and already seen multiple tweets backing both sides of the claim). If Johnson was accurate, it's obviously something he's been saving for desperate times.....if he's 'incorrect' (ie lying, which must be at least a teeny possibility) then surely Starmer can nail him. Starmer looked pretty angry though

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yes as pointed out in a post above, there are honest politicians in all parties.

Generally I think that individuals find it far easier to claim 'they are all the same' or 'it makes no difference' than to admit that they have done something really stupid (often repeatedly), had the penny finally drop and actually realised that they have cocked up badly with what they have done.

As pointed out in a different post above :wink:

It just go's to show where politics is these days? Boris as PM and people believing in honest politicians? :lolol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Would it be fair to say that those who are broadly supportive of the Government (and by default Johnson) reckon there is probably no such thing as an honest politician? If so, that would make political sense to me.......

Well there's four things in there. I would normally lean to being broadly supportive of a Tory government because I have never found a better reason to vote Labour, Lib/Dems or other. It's probably a divide I might never cross, but I'm struggling badly with this one.I can't say that by default I support Johnson, because despite what I see as good things like forcing Brexit through Corbyn's stranglehold on the country and getting the vaccination programme implemented quickly and effectively, I question most of what he is now doing by way of timing, content, common sense and yes, veracity. I'd be happy to see an alternative Tory, but Sunak is even further divorced from knowing the impacts of Cost of Living rises than Boris and the rest of them. No idea who else I would chose as I'm not as invested in politics to explore the choices. When Tony Blair condoned expenses fiddling by saying everybody does it, that opened my eyes to the fact that yes they are all dishonest. Not just expenses obviously, where I'm sure many are meticulous to the penny or underclaim, but for all my life I have watched politicians unable to answer a straight question with a straight answer. In my book that's a lie. And could I ever vote Labour? No, I don't think I could. But I could be tempted not to vote soon and at least give them half a chance. When Blair and Brown were elected I thought OK, give them a chance, this could be good for Britain. However apart from one personal reason to thank them, I soon grew to despise them. Maybe I just don't like politicians much. I've certainly learned how much I dislike local counsellors in recent years. Any of that make political sense:D
P.S. any interest in politics is at small p level, so I won't be backing up or debating my thoughts with any of the 'professional' posters on the Politics thread. Just throwing in my three pennorth to the debate, that's all.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It just go's to show where politics is these days? Boris as PM and people believing in honest politicians? :lolol:

As has been pointed out, you believe in the dishonesty of all politicians because it suits your world view. You have no evidence to support that claim; one has even died for her professed views....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Well there's four things in there. I would normally lean to being broadly supportive of a Tory government because I have never found a better reason to vote Labour, Lib/Dems or other. It's probably a divide I might never cross, but I'm struggling badly with this one.I can't say that by default I support Johnson, because despite what I see as good things like forcing Brexit through Corbyn's stranglehold on the country and getting the vaccination programme implemented quickly and effectively, I question most of what he is now doing by way of timing, content, common sense and yes, veracity. I'd be happy to see an alternative Tory, but Sunak is even further divorced from knowing the impacts of Cost of Living rises than Boris and the rest of them. No idea who else I would chose as I'm not as invested in politics to explore the choices. When Tony Blair condoned expenses fiddling by saying everybody does it, that opened my eyes to the fact that yes they are all dishonest. Not just expenses obviously, where I'm sure many are meticulous to the penny or underclaim, but for all my life I have watched politicians unable to answer a straight question with a straight answer. In my book that's a lie. And could I ever vote Labour? No, I don't think I could. But I could be tempted not to vote soon and at least give them half a chance. When Blair and Brown were elected I thought OK, give them a chance, this could be good for Britain. However apart from one personal reason to thank them, I soon grew to despise them. Maybe I just don't like politicians much. I've certainly learned how much I dislike local counsellors in recent years. Any of that make political sense:D

... but the implication is that ALL 650 politicians are dishonest!

There are many who are not, but you are just focused on the 'big beasts' in making your judgement.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think you just don’t like politicians, and the saddest thing about partygate is that it will probably entrench that view.

Even sadder, why was he not thrown out after the Owen Patterson affair? Why has he not been held to account for a lack of any meaningful trade deal? Why was he not dismissed for the mismanagement of PPE contracts? Why is he not being scrutinized for the performance of the UK economy against other OECD countries? Why are we not telling him to sling his hook for risking peace in Northern Ireland?

I’d like us to see him gone for real political issues. Although I guess lying to parliament is politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is there such a thing as an honest politician?

Plenty, on both sides of the house.

Politics is the art of the possible. It is not supposed to be a perverse construct designed to allow psychopaths to graze on the weakness and gullability of the rest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Plenty, on both sides of the house.

Politics is the art of the possible. It is not supposed to be a perverse construct designed to allow psychopaths to graze on the weakness and gullability of the rest.

True.... and Jesus said, “The poor you will always have with you” (Matthew 26:11); perhaps he might have added "and the weak and gullible"!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you just don’t like politicians, and the saddest thing about partygate is that it will probably entrench that view.

Even sadder, why was he not thrown out after the Owen Patterson affair? Why has he not been held to account for a lack of any meaningful trade deal? Why was he not dismissed for the mismanagement of PPE contracts? Why is he not being scrutinized for the performance of the UK economy against other OECD countries? Why are we not telling him to sling his hook for risking peace in Northern Ireland?

I’d like us to see him gone for real political issues. Although I guess lying to parliament is politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good points. I posted on this recently. In short many in the tory machine and some members have held their nose in a devil's bargin to 'win back' afther being humiliated (in their minds) by Blair. Anything necessary to win. OK so a large number of tories couldn't care less what Boris does as long as the tories win, but plenty don't feel like that, and the anger is beginning to grow (in some).

The question is whether the tide has turned, and also in crude terms whether the 1922 see Johnson as a winner still or a liability.

Also, and I may not have mentioned this previously, all governments curdle after a while. Even Blair's did. Churchill's did. The thing about Johnson is his government was yoghurt even before he formed his first cabinet. It was only ever there as a jape, and an opportunity for vainglory, and of course financial enrichment for him and his pals.

Oh, Tory MP on the radio now...."navel gazing....time to move on....levelling up agenda". ****.

The new mantra is "He's got the big calls right". That's....a lie. A lie.

A lie.

Oh - the Sue Grey report "He's published the report in full"!

FFS.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber - Plato

Noses in the trough, the lot of 'em.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Simplistic nonsense. Politicians with integrity are just constantly undermined by the bad behaviour of the few.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True.... and Jesus said, “The poor you will always have with you” (Matthew 26:11); perhaps he might have added "and the weak and gullible"!

Yep. That's why I am so keen on 'policing' the system. It seems that it is possible now to graze and gorge, give HMG contracts to chums, abuse the facilities for purposes of graft, and then tell barefaced lies. And now we have Johnson investigated by his own appointee, acting under his instructions.

Putin must be looking on with some admiration.

This has to stop. I just hope the decent tories have the guts to act and, if not, labour have the guts to act when they get in. I can imagine, if the latter, they will be mocked in the Mail and Times for 'taking their eye off the ball' and 'navel gazing', though. Only the likes of Trump and Johnson can claim to 'drain the swamp' and get applause (from the right) :facepalm:

So what's that other great quote? "The people get the governments they deserve". How very true.

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
this government is such a colossal shambles. Absolute disgrace to our country to be honest

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
P.S. any interest in politics is at small p level, so I won't be backing up or debating my thoughts with any of the 'professional' posters on the Politics thread. Just throwing in my three pennorth to the debate, that's all.

Intrigued as to how soon after 1997 you came to despise Blair and Brown and why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here