Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It always make me smile when people describe themselves as 'anti-woke'. Surely that just means that they're asleep.

You'll find plenty of that in the Bear Pit, alongside terrible spelling and grammar and the re-sharing of Darren Grimes' Twitter timeline.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons we have this awful lying politician in charge is that it's much easier for people to side with this as part of the culture wars than actually think about good policy and legislation. Even though it's nonsense. Exactly why Lord Frost is parroting it on Twitter. "Yes there may be a six figure death toll from Covid which the government reacted to with secret parties and yes there may be a queue of lorries all the way along the A20 but at least I'm not woke"

FFS

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
do you think it'll help that Sunak is a Hindu? ???

One thing my experience of racists tells me is they don't seem to be big on the whole "details" and "nuance" things.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Joe Lycett tweeted this

[tweet]1486635223756464129[/tweet]

report.PNG

And a verified contact in Westminster confirmed that people inside No.10 took it seriously

See below

[tweet]1486684145795452933[/tweet]

response.PNG

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I can't stand this government, but I can see the argument that if the Tories kicked out Boris and installed Sunak that would be better for the country than Boris staying, as at least he's a basically capable individual.

I can see the tory mp's wanting him as he would be likely to help many of them keep their seats. But I can't see the members being that disciplined when picking from the final 2. They will go for the chief provider of red meat.

The best bet electorally for the tories is to appoint Sunak unopposed, but Truss, Gove etc aren't that disciplined. They want the top job

Sunak? That would be the Sunak that paid out 5.8bn to fraudsters on covid related payments and has written off 4.3bn of it? That's 4.3bn that has to be covered by additional borrowing or taken out of much needed services.

Even if he is forced into a climbdown (one minister has already resigned) and pursues the fraudsters, you have to ask what was he doing by not having any fraud prevention measures in place so that over 5bn of taxpayers money found its way into the criminals coffers in the first place.

I'm not sure that replacing one bungle**** with another bungle**** is likely to get us very far.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sunak? That would be the Sunak that paid out 5.8bn to fraudsters on covid related payments and has written off 4.3bn of it? That's 4.3bn that has to be covered by additional borrowing or taken out of much needed services.

Even if he is forced into a climbdown (one minister has already resigned) and pursues the fraudsters, you have to ask what was he doing by not having any fraud prevention measures in place so that over 5bn of taxpayers money found its way into the criminals coffers in the first place.

I'm not sure that replacing one bungle**** with another bungle**** is likely to get us very far.

I'm not defending the bloke. I suppose just saying, that there are differing degrees of bungle.... (well you know).

Generally he is perceived as a more sober, sensible option than Boris. I think he gives them a better chance of winning the next election than Truss.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

policy at the time was to prioritise getting money out, not restictive process. it was a doddle to claim, people said there would be fraud, and told this would be acceptable compromise. picking the wrong battle.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This Truss 500k flight should be the ****ing end of her. If you are so worried about being overheard just don’t have the conversation, have it in the 5 hours you could have saved by flying direct for a fraction of the cost.

Half a million quid on flights. Disgusting.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Of course I don't believe a single word that Johnson or this government says, there is no way that some sort of pressure has not been put on the leader of the civil service regarding the report, the cabinet and MP'S are falling over themselves to protect Johnson knowing that they could well be out of a job if he goes.
The report will be released tomorrow at about 5 or 6pm as these things often are to attempt to nullify some of the impact over the weekend.
So sick of hearing that Johnson is the good guy because he got Brexit done and saw us through the pandemic.
Are people really believing that bollox, he cobbled together a shit deal that we are going to pay a heavy price for in the years to come and we had one of the worst death tolls in the world, spending millions on Nightingale Hospitals that had no staff so he sent old people to homes to die to free up bed space.
The PPE scandal, billions wasted on the world beating test and trace system and a vaccine that was handed to him on a plate, any PM would have done the same, it had naff all to do with Johnson being a great PM, it was thanks to the NHS anyway.
And then of course he and his staff partied while we buried our families.
And people would still vote for him.
Extraordinary.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Of course I don't believe a single word that Johnson or this government says, there is no way that some sort of pressure has not been put on the leader of the civil service regarding the report, the cabinet and MP'S are falling over themselves to protect Johnson knowing that they could well be out of a job if he goes.
The report will be released tomorrow at about 5 or 6pm as these things often are to attempt to nullify some of the impact over the weekend.
So sick of hearing that Johnson is the good guy because he got Brexit done and saw us through the pandemic.
Are people really believing that bollox, he cobbled together a shit deal that we are going to pay a heavy price for in the years to come and we had one of the worst death tolls in the world, spending millions on Nightingale Hospitals that had no staff so he sent old people to homes to die to free up bed space.
The PPE scandal, billions wasted on the world beating test and trace system and a vaccine that was handed to him on a plate, any PM would have done the same, it had naff all to do with Johnson being a great PM, it was thanks to the NHS anyway.
Extraordinary.

I feel your anger, we are indeed living in extraordinary times.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not defending the bloke. I suppose just saying, that there are differing degrees of bungle.... (well you know).

Generally he is perceived as a more sober, sensible option than Boris. I think he gives them a better chance of winning the next election than Truss.

I can’t see that the sort of non-traditional Tory voter in red-wall constituencies that supported dragged-through-a-hedge Johnson in 2019 would necessarily be motivated to vote for sober, sensible Sunak.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Extraordinary.

Excellent post and basically my line of thinking.

He is taking credit for the Vaccine rollout and using it as a sheild against his lies.

He has had advisors doing his thinking for him, whilst he has a jolly good knees up, with his spivving friends.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This Truss 500k flight should be the ****ing end of her. If you are so worried about being overheard just don’t have the conversation, have it in the 5 hours you could have saved by flying direct for a fraction of the cost.

Half a million quid on flights. Disgusting.

Perhaps the Treasury caught hold of this, and thought it would be in the 'public interest' to release it. Now why might that be ...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

It wouldn't surprise me if for a million reasons they've already half-accepted they are going to struggle to win the next election, so the next leader is going to be someone like Truss who is expendable and they can bin-off after that and then bring in Sunak or whoever after when they've got a greater chance of winning again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sunak gives me the impression that he's not a natural born Liar like our incumbent " leader ", yes , he has probably been economic with the truth but he's not going to be as bad. The old saying " If you can't say anything good about someone, say nothing " seems to be his method as he has been conspicuous by his absence regarding support for Johnson...I don't think he can stare in to a camera and lie and lose their souls like other Johnson acolytes...

Truss on the other hand is a natural, she was pro remain now pro Brexit, is able to spout crap which entirely matches Daily Mail headlines and loves the trappings of office and the luxuries that brings, witness her recent extravagance re her recent taxpayer funded expensive lunch at a Tory donors restaurant and her insistence on a government jet for a trip to Australia. She likes to talk down British workers as lazy and unproductive while living the high life in office, so Truss for Johnson would be a seamless like for like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here