Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tory denial is manifesting on many levels today. Heard a wonderful Tory voter on 5Live say that "The Tories have got us through Covid, the Ukraine war and the energy crisis " !!!!! If what has happened to our once great country while " Getting Through " is actually getting through, you can understand why we are in the mess we are.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Just look at the latest figures at the bottom Mr Sunak. It’s a moving graphic but Labour +119
Cons - 228
LibDem +61

I think that these results have to take in to account the rise in awareness of tactical voting. They may not be hugely spectacular gains for Labour or the Lib-Dems but the general trend is to attrit Tory numbers. We have to add the rise of Independant councillors too. At this level of politics a local " character " who's known and trusted can be seen as a good alternative vote.

I suspect that there is now a feeling across much of the populace that we have to get rid of the Tories at all costs now and I fully expect some tactical voting at the next GE but I'm sure we will see Labour do most of the heavy lifting, and romp in ! ✌️

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that these results have to take in to account the rise in awareness of tactical voting. They may not be hugely spectacular gains for Labour or the Lib-Dems but the general trend is to attrit Tory numbers. We have to add the rise of Independant councillors too. At this level of politics a local " character " who's known and trusted can be seen as a good alternative vote.

I suspect that there is now a feeling across much of the populace that we have to get rid of the Tories at all costs now and I fully expect some tactical voting at the next GE but I'm sure we will see Labour do most of the heavy lifting, and romp in ! ✌️
A case in point where Hayling Island East and West stood down in preference for the other.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Hugely alarmed by the election results. Very, very concerning.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

Also brexit isn’t the distraction it was so Lib Dem’s picking up votes they lost, probably to tories as many wouldn’t go to labour with Corbin.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Just looked at the worthing result, labour hold. What surprised me was how comfortably in control Labour are in that council even before today. How things have changed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Conservatives lose Maidstone which is now NOC.

From the BBC SE
We're hearing from our reporters at the counts that both the leaders of Folkestone and Canterbury councils have lost their seat.

Conservative leader of Folkestone & Hythe District Council, David Monk, has lost his seat to the Greens. With just two wards still to declare, the Conservatives have only held one seat.

Meanwhile, Canterbury's Tory leader Ben Fitter-Harding has lost to Peter Old from the Lib Dems.

It looks like Kent is revolting.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Do you mind if I ask why? I’m hugely reassured that the British voter does at last seem to have started paying attention.

Surely you weren’t hoping for even more of the thin gruel we’ve been served over the past ten years?
The vote has been split. Labour should be trouncing the feckless Tories, but they aren’t. Those Green/Lib Dem gains should be Labour home runs, but they aren’t. Tories are shipping votes, as they will at the GE, but they need to ship them all in one place - Labour.

You can mark my words, it will be a NOC outcome and a potential Lib-Lab mess unless Starmer and Labour win hearts and minds between now and the GE.

This is a troubling outcome for those wanting a fresh, strong, new government at the next GE.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A case in point where Hayling Island East and West stood down in preference for the other.

I believe something similar happened in Steyning with only the Greens opposing the Tories. Or so my Steyning spy said last night

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The vote has been split. Labour should be trouncing the feckless Tories, but they aren’t. Those Green/Lib Dem gains should be Labour home runs, but they aren’t. Tories are shipping votes, as they will at the GE, but they need to ship them all in one place - Labour.

You can mark my words, it will be a NOC outcome and a potential Lib-Lab mess unless Starmer and Labour win hearts and minds between now and the GE.

This is a troubling outcome for those wanting a fresh, strong, new government at the next GE.
Personally, that's the sort of outcome I've been hoping would come around for a long while. A decent centre-left coalition/pact could see the Tories out for much of the rest of my life.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

People often vote tactically in local elections and may also vote for good councillors they know or to keep a good local authority.

By the time the GE comes around there won’t be a credible SNP in Scotland. That really should be an open goal for Labour. If the LDs and Greens wipe out the Tories in seats where Labour traditionally does badly, so much the better.

The only person who should be concerned at these results is Sunak

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Personally, that's the sort of outcome I've been hoping would come around for a long while. A decent centre-left coalition/pact could see the Tories out for much of the rest of my life.
But that isn’t the reality though, is it. Starmer’s Labour is pro-business centre-right Blairism, they will take the moderates and centre-right. Libs will clean up the dissenting left, green and their core voters. Staunch conservatives will be, erm, conservative.

The very real likelihood at the GE based on the results so far are the pro-trade soft right option sharing offices with people who fundamentally disagree with them.

Jul 20, 2003
Quite enjoying dipping in and out of Politics Live.

A slow drip of Tory MPs looking glum.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But that isn’t the reality though, is it. Starmer’s Labour is pro-business centre-right Blairism, they will take the moderates and centre-right. Libs will clean up the dissenting left, green and their core voters. Staunch conservatives will be, erm, conservative.

The very real likelihood at the GE based on the results so far are the pro-trade soft right option sharing offices with people who fundamentally disagree with them.
Coalition governments work very well in the vast majority of western countries. It even worked well from 1940 to 45 when we needed to work together.
A two party system is outdated.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Conservatives lose Maidstone which is now NOC.

From the BBC SE
We're hearing from our reporters at the counts that both the leaders of Folkestone and Canterbury councils have lost their seat.

Conservative leader of Folkestone & Hythe District Council, David Monk, has lost his seat to the Greens. With just two wards still to declare, the Conservatives have only held one seat.

Meanwhile, Canterbury's Tory leader Ben Fitter-Harding has lost to Peter Old from the Lib Dems.

It looks like Kent is revolting.
Lost Ashford to NOC and Medway to Labour too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here