Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I see them toughing this out.

The clues are in yesterday's other news items.

1) An unnamed member of Boris' family has Covid, so he needs to isolate. Translated, that means, get him out of the public eye for a few days.
2) 'We should wait for the Sue Gray enquiry'. Translated, that means 'we've got a few days for it to blow over, and we can massage the outcome'.
3) Ian Duncan Smith makes an announcement in the Commons about the risk of Chinese interference. Translated, that means 'find a news item to distract the media; something to unite the nation against a common enemy would fit the bill nicely'.

Let Johnson stay, he is the one tory that could actually lose the next election. The PM may be able to retain his position on a technicality but the mask has finally fallen in the eyes of the public (took em long enough to recognise what a piece of sh*t he is, but hey ho). Johnson is a busted flush.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
BBC News - Jacob Rees-Mogg: Covid inquiry must look at whether rules were too tough
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59981890

Government inquiry must consider whether rules set by the government were too tough for government employees to follow.

You couldn't make it up.

If I'm caught speeding by plod I'll just say that it's just so difficult to drive at 30 and maybe the speed limit is too slow for my car. Ought to work out fine.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can anyone explain why boris has to isolate? My family have had covid but I didn’t have to isolate.

His family, like the Downing Street Garden, are an extension of the workplace so aren't subject to the same rules because things and stuff. Or something. Oooh - look over there. A butterfly. And a Prince who has probably been a bad boy. Look, a puppy. Something about jabs. Churchill. Get Brexit Done. Wiff Waff. Rugger. Hair ruffling. Corbyn. Jumpers for goalposts, isn't it?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Let Johnson stay, he is the one tory that could actually lose the next election. The PM may be able to retain his position on a technicality but the mask has finally fallen in the eyes of the public (took em long enough to recognise what a piece of sh*t he is, but hey ho). Johnson is a busted flush.

I think the only certainty is that he won't be leading them into the next election. In the longer term, he's gone. He is damaged goods. The nation is mocking him and his party.

But the general election isn't due until May 2024. So what do the Tories do, in the meantime, to mitigate the damage?

When will the leadership election take place? Who will run? Private off-the-record conversations will be taking place right now. Phones will be cleaned up. Documents will be shredded. Disgruntled ex members of staff to be paid off. There's a lot of important government work to be done.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think the only certainty is that he won't be leading them into the next election. In the longer term, he's gone. He is damaged goods. The nation is mocking him and his party.

But the general election isn't due until May 2024. So what do the Tories do, in the meantime, to mitigate the damage?

When will the leadership election take place? Who will run? Private off-the-record conversations will be taking place right now. Phones will be cleaned up. Documents will be shredded. Disgruntled ex members of staff to be paid off. There's a lot of important government work to be done.

I agree. Johnson will not be seeking re-election as PM, it's a matter of when not if. The Tories will decide for themselves the timing of his demise.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Not sure how much of that will work if there aren't suspicious fires at properties belonging to a certain individual with poor eyesight. If he isn't behind this "death by a thousand cuts" routine, I will be surprised.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

1) An unnamed member of Boris' family has Covid, so he needs to isolate. Translated, that means, get him out of the public eye for a few days.
2) 'We should wait for the Sue Gray enquiry'. Translated, that means 'we've got a few days for it to blow over, and we can massage the outcome'.
3) Ian Duncan Smith makes an announcement in the Commons about the risk of Chinese interference. Translated, that means 'find a news item to distract the media; something to unite the nation against a common enemy would fit the bill nicely'.

3) The Chinese story dates back to 2016 and has been rehashed.
Dead cats everywhere.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I agree. Johnson will not be seeking re-election as PM, it's a matter of when not if. The Tories will decide for themselves the timing of his demise.

Assuming nothing even more damaging comes out in the next few months*, pretty sure it will be after the May local elections (which will undoubtedly be shit for the Tories). They then have the whole summer to sort out a replacement, and can blame everything on BJ.

*Possibly a big assumption

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Every time I see that name I get an unaccountable little frisson. I have suddenly realised why:

HBHm.gif
green-wing-michelle-gomez.gif

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

This has been my assumption for some time now.
He's a useful 'sh*t magnet'. Let as much of it stick to him, keeping the heir apparent clean. And then discard him when the time is right.

Which is why Labour are making a bad strategic error in my opinion, focussing their fire on Johnson and otherwise keeping their heads down, on the assumption that his unpopularity alone will win them victory. Maybe it;s because they have a coherent, progressive, brave policy agenda that they are holding back until closer to the election. But I fear it may be the opposite - they don't have a coherent progressive policy agenda and are just hoping to win by default

I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Every time I see that name I get an unaccountable little frisson. I have suddenly realised why:

View attachment 143770

If there's one woman who's worth waiting for, it's Sue Gray. Trouble is, with minxes like her, it's often the journey that's the highlight, and not the arrival.

Tonight, I'm not going to celebrate our goals until I've fully savoured the build up, and she announces, breathlessly, that the ball is in the back of the net.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can anyone explain why boris has to isolate? My family have had covid but I didn’t have to isolate.
Because he doesn't want journalists shouting "Will you resign, Prime Minister ?" every time he goes anywhere.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
However it ends for the nation (probably just m'eh).....he's ****ed up his own legacy, which is pretty funny. I'll be interested to find out whether this is more or less important to him than his venality and his cock. I suspect the answer is less, but we shall probably never know :shrug:

If he leaves office with a Ronaldo wink, though, that will provide the answer.

As for his supporters, shame on you. You are a disgrace.

He was discussing being PM for decades not so long ago

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This has been my assumption for some time now.
He's a useful 'sh*t magnet'. Let as much of it stick to him, keeping the heir apparent clean. And then discard him when the time is right.

Which is why Labour are making a bad strategic error in my opinion, focussing their fire on Johnson and otherwise keeping their heads down, on the assumption that his unpopularity alone will win them victory. Maybe it;s because they have a coherent, progressive, brave policy agenda that they are holding back until closer to the election. But I fear it may be the opposite - they don't have a coherent progressive policy agenda and are just hoping to win by default

I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

I completely agree.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Couple more polls out - one giving Labour a 9pt lead, and a new YouGov poll showing an 11pt lead. Labour at or above 40% in both.

Not sure the Tory party can afford to wait until after the May local elections at this rate. Those elections are going to be bad either way, it's a matter of how bad are they willing to accept? It's a fair assumption to make that an absolute mauling will be damaging in its own right, so if the polling numbers continue to slide they may be forced to move quickly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe it;s because they have a coherent, progressive, brave policy agenda that they are holding back until closer to the election. But I fear it may be the opposite - they don't have a coherent progressive policy agenda and are just hoping to win by default

As discussed earlier in the thread, Labour would have to be completely bonkers to reveal any policies two years before an election. But they do need to turn their fire on some other members of the cabinet as well as Johnson, let them hang together

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here