Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He's very popular with a certain type who are quite happy to accept that this old Etonian, Oxbridge graduate and Telegraph feature writer is a "man of the people".

Look at his cheeky face! Look at him barging that Japanese child out of the way! Ho, ho, ho. He's been on HIGNFY! I bet he'd be fun to have a pint with. Him and Nige, what a night out that would be. No wokeness there. You could spend the whole night getting smashed, trash talking immigrants and pinching the barmaid's bum just like the old days and then do a runner when the tab was due. What larks! And he got Brexit done. Without that, do you know where you'd be? Hosting a swan eating Albanian drug dealer in your spare bedroom while the country was run by Gary Lineker, who'd be busy turning it into Pyongyang and making everyone use people's correct pronouns, that's where.
None of whom experienced his "it's other people's money" approach to spending as London Mayor.

At the last count, 1 Billion was wasted on vanity projects that either didn't take, nobody wanted or were supposed to run at cost.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It will be an interesting question for Sunak if it goes to the vote. Does he back the man mainly responsible for his meteoric rise in Politics and back the lies or does he abandon him and take what could possibly be a massive hit on the by-election result.

Johnson has always been a walking shit spreader, the question for Sunak is will he spread more crap inside the tent or outside. What a conundrum :lolol:
I reckon Sunak would love to cut him loose. It would boost him electorally and having him out of the commons is one less pain in his arse. Trouble is he retains massive support on their benches, who Sunak needs to keep onside.

In short. He'll bottle it

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I reckon Sunak would love to cut him loose. It would boost him electorally and having him out of the commons is one less pain in his arse. Trouble is he retains massive support on their benches, who Sunak needs to keep onside.

In short. He'll bottle it

He'd be making the same mistake Cameron did and NOT the mistake Thatcher made by keeping Archer on a short lead.

Archer was also very popular with the grass roots.

Cameron thought he'd get Johnson out the way by persuading him to be London Mayor and look how that worked out.

No surprise the Tories lost all interest with the position of London Mayor under Johnson.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's irrelevant really as the moderator isn't moderate - he or she is an active participant in this left wing agitator's thread.
So are you.

For the record, I offered you, a right winger and The Clamp from the other side exactly the same punishment for exactly the same crime. If that's not balanced my name's Gary Lineker :moo:

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
It's irrelevant really as the moderator isn't moderate - he or she is an active participant in this left wing agitator's thread.
I would argue that this thread is almost entirely populated by moderates, with the possible exceptions of you, Wokeworrier and The Clamp. The conversation tends to take place in fairly measured tones, when the accounts mentioned above aren’t involved. Certainly if you think we’re all “left-wing agitators” then you’re more Farage/Johnson than Heseltine or Clarke.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Boris is sanctioned by the Committee, and it appears that is almost inevitable, it will then be down to the Tory MPs to decide his punishment. (Labour MPs will want the most telling punishment but the Tories still have such a huge majority in the Commons).
I'm not sure about this; Labour would love Johnson to be hanging around, associated with the Tories until the election. I'm sure he'll be found guilty but maybe the most condign punishment would be for him to be the constant butt of derision for the next 20 months.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Starmer MUST fix this disparity in society where someone with Sunak's wealth pays such a pitifully low rate of tax.

A decent starting point (just a starting point, mind) would be having Capital Gains tax work in the same way as Income tax does. Could even use exactly the same thresholds to keep it simple: first £X tax free, then follow the same trajectory of increases. Such a system would likely reduce the tax burden slightly on the investment "dabblers" and "accidental investors" (I've been there) while increasing it significantly for those who can afford to pay more into the system (such as those like Sunak whose wealth predominantly comes from capital gains rather than salary).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A decent starting point (just a starting point, mind) would be having Capital Gains tax work in the same way as Income tax does. Could even use exactly the same thresholds to keep it simple: first £X tax free, then follow the same trajectory of increases. Such a system would likely reduce the tax burden slightly on the investment "dabblers" and "accidental investors" (I've been there) while increasing it significantly for those who can afford to pay more into the system (such as those like Sunak whose wealth predominantly comes from capital gains rather than salary).
I'd be stunned if Starmer does this. Delighted but stunned.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If Boris is sanctioned by the Committee, and it appears that is almost inevitable, it will then be down to the Tory MPs to decide his punishment. (Labour MPs will want the most telling punishment but the Tories still have such a huge majority in the Commons).

Isn't it likely that the Tories will vote with Boris as they will not want him to be standing in a by-election (which would almost certainly happen if he got suspended for more than 10 days).

Of course, most people will be asking how the f*ck the Tories haven't kicked him out of the party already.
For an alternative viewpoint from inside Torydom:

Remember, they're remarkably adept at survival, and might deem ditching Johnson as a step towards that.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Off to the Lords? - surprised he isn’t there already- possibly in his own mind he feels he’s entitled to something higher than a Lordship!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To me, the staff morale excuse is the lowest excuse of them all.
As we have read, people committed suicide during lockdown through lack of contact, people died alone, families couldn't hold full funeral services and a woman was arrested for removing her own mother from a care home because they were both suffering from loneliness. (she was de-arrested later)

Morale, my foot!

One of the many things that irks me about the “it was absolutely essential to thank my hard working staff”
Is that no matter how he tries to argue it’s essential, the law at the time CATEGORICALLY stated it was not essential and he should have been punished for such behaviour every turn he did it.

We would have been.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of the many things that irks me about the “it was absolutely essential to thank my hard working staff”
Is that no matter how he tries to argue it’s essential, the law at the time CATEGORICALLY stated it was not essential and he should have been punished for such behaviour every turn he did it.

We would have been.
Yes - along with the 'customary to say farewell to people in this country with a toast' excuse. Bollocks to that - wasn't the whole point of lockdown that 'customary' behaviours were suspended? It's 'customary for me to go to the pub on a Friday night' - well, that custom was put on hold for the good of us all.

Nor has it really been made clear why everyone at No 10 had to carry on being in No 10 - many of the rest of us continued to lead busy working lives away from our old/usual place of work. Especially easy I would have thought for those whose jobs is essentially 'chat'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Off to the Lords? - surprised he isn’t there already- possibly in his own mind he feels he’s entitled to something higher than a Lordship!
He thinks he’s King of the world.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes - along with the 'customary to say farewell to people in this country with a toast' excuse. Bollocks to that - wasn't the whole point of lockdown that 'customary' behaviours were suspended? It's 'customary for me to go to the pub on a Friday night' - well, that custom was put on hold for the good of us all.

Nor has it really been made clear why everyone at No 10 had to carry on being in No 10 - many of the rest of us continued to lead busy working lives away from our old/usual place of work. Especially easy I would have thought for those whose jobs is essentially 'chat'.
Quite. It’s customary for family to attend the funerals of loved ones. I and many, many others could not do so.

But raising a glass to some anonymous suit who fetched the booze in a suitcase to say thank you for their incredibly hard work setting out the trestle tables and bottles of champagne, now that is essential.

Pop them all in the bin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here