Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Big Dog ain’t going nowhere.

“The prime minister is giving his first response to the two by-election defeats his party suffered overnight.

He says he will "listen" to voters but pledges to "keep going".

"I've got to listen to what people are saying, in particular to the difficulties people are facing over the cost of living," news agency PA quotes him as saying.”

He thinks it’s the cost of living that has done for the Tories in both seats.

And yet some people actually believe Johnson is intelligent. He is thick as pig shit.

Now doing a runner to avoid facing the music and the media; has contrived to stay out of the UK for about 10 days.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The only other tier might be a Parish Council (although I don't think you'd have one of those and a Town Council)

I only have two

Brighton & Hove City Council (Unitary Authority)
UK Government.

I was thinking of those in areas where they might have a similar 3-tier council structure plus a regional government (I have no idea if anywhere in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland might fit, or indeed any of the English cities that have a Mayor).

Having said that, your post does neatly point out how convoluted the system is here in the UK. The Local Government level is an absolute mess and really should be standardised to make it simpler.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And yet some people actually believe Johnson is intelligent. He is thick as pig shit.

Now doing a runner to avoid facing the music and the media; has contrived to stay out of the UK for about 10 days.

Helen Hurford, the losing candidate in Tiverton & Honiton is in the same mould. She ran away after the result and hid in a nearby dance studio locking the door, and refusing to talk to the press.
It goes to show the right candidate won.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ultimately the Tory majority is built on two distinct power bases

1. Traditional Tory strongholds in the rural south (the sort of place that's been Tory every time for a century).
2. The newly won "Red Wall" seats which were heavily Leave voting despite being strongholds for other parties (mostly Labour).

Last night proved the Tories are looking very shaky in both of these. If the Lib Dems make serious inroads into the former while Labour can win back the latter, we aren't necessarily looking at the Tory majority being wiped out but the party numbers crashing down in a 1997-style bloodbath.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Helen Hurford, the losing candidate in Tiverton & Honiton is in the same mould. She ran away after the result and hid in a nearby dance studio locking the door, and refusing to talk to the press.
It goes to show the right candidate won.

I was desperate for her to lose - not just for the bruising it'd give Johnson but also because of that video of her the other day. She was so smug. Almost like her winning was a foregone conclusion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well, as James Callaghan once observed, the sky has finally turned black with flapping wings of chickens coming home to roost.

The Meltdown is upon us :thumbsup:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Last night proved the Tories are looking very shaky in both of these. If the Lib Dems make serious inroads into the former while Labour can win back the latter, we aren't necessarily looking at the Tory majority being wiped out but the party numbers crashing down in a 1997-style bloodbath.

I think that current predictions are still predicting, at best for Labour, them being the largest party in a hung parliament. Winning even an outright majority from their starting position would be a unique outcome in UK election history. A 1997 style landslide is really not a possibility. Last night's results were impacted by low by-election turn out from Tory voters and levels of tactical voting that saw both Labour and the Lib Dems lose their deposits in the constituencies that they didn't win.

If the progressive majority in this country had the good sense to agree some kind of non standing exchange in key seats, this could be reproduced at the next general election, but they never have in the past and there is no indication that they will this time. At a risk of upseting HWT, Starmer should realise that a pre-election deal with the LDs over introducing PR and the abandoning of some out of reach seats would see him become Prime Minister of a coaltion that would actually closely reflect the political opinions of the electorate without the need to promise anything to the Scottish Nationalists.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This is amazing. Big brexit benefit will be changing signs. He doesn’t like the funny numbers we get dealing with yards.

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1540268003224436736?s=21&t=bplr_UsHQ6uPAWFhYrN-Vw

For clarity.

12 inches to a foot.
3 foot to a yard
22 yards to a chain
10 chains to a furlong
8 furlongs to a mile.

To stick to yards 1760 yards to a mile.

If reece mogg doesn’t like funny numbers then someone should explain how millimetres, centremetres, metres and kilometres work. Lots of nice round numbers ending in zero.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is amazing. Big brexit benefit will be changing signs. He doesn’t like the funny numbers we get dealing with yards.

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1540268003224436736?s=21&t=bplr_UsHQ6uPAWFhYrN-Vw

For clarity.

12 inches to a foot.
3 foot to a yard
22 yards to a chain
10 chains to a furlong
8 furlongs to a mile.

If reece mogg doesn’t like funny numbers then someone should explain how millimetres, centremetres, metres and kilometres work. Lots of nice round numbers ending in zero.

These deep fake videos do scare the hell out of me

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ultimately the Tory majority is built on two distinct power bases

1. Traditional Tory strongholds in the rural south (the sort of place that's been Tory every time for a century).
2. The newly won "Red Wall" seats which were heavily Leave voting despite being strongholds for other parties (mostly Labour).

Tory voters that are actually Tories are not going to vote for Johnson who isn’t in the slightest a Tory.

What policies are actually conservative? High Tax, Big State and Green tax - None of these are.

Rwanda is the only one, which won’t actually happen.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

For clarity.

12 inches to a foot.
3 foot to a yard
22 yards to a chain
10 chains to a furlong
8 furlongs to a mile.

Really enjoying the bloke in the replies pointing out these could be changed whenever, regardless of Brexit.

The man is a f**king buffoon. A highly educated half-wit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
if he had principles, perhaps he'd have resigned some months ago.

Most principled Conservative MPs have always refused to serve in Johnson's cabinets. I was particularly disappointed that Sajid Javid resigned on principle early on, but then decided to put his career above his principles.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do hope the Tories parachute Helen Hurford in to another constituency next time there is a by election or General Election. Blind rabid loyalty to Johnson despite the facts, should be rewarded....plus the serial denials of the bleeding obvious are great fun for most of us now...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Tory voters that are actually Tories are not going to vote for Johnson who isn’t in the slightest a Tory.

What policies are actually conservative? High Tax, Big State and Green tax - None of these are.

Rwanda is the only one, which won’t actually happen.

In the States they called some Republicans who were not deemed right wing enough RINOs (Republican in name only). So perhaps Boris is a CINO or TINO ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1540286755856850946[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here