Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
safety isnt their responsibility. when any crash or incident occurs the finger is firmly on the managment and organisation that are responsible. Network Rail reckons it can do more safety checks more consistently with tech, so will need fewer workers to traipse up and down lines. i havent heard union complain the tech wont be able to do the job, just loss of members.

See post #9699 for the answer to this...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just been wondering where all the good, decent Tories have gone. Those that aren't Cult of Johnson. They are so weak. So spineless.

Hopefully a disaster for Johnson at the Thursday elections will give them the strength they need to change the 1922 rules and Get Rid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just been wondering where all the good, decent Tories have gone. Those that aren't Cult of Johnson. They are so weak. So spineless.

Hopefully a disaster for Johnson at the Thursday elections will give them the strength they need to change the 1922 rules and Get Rid.

I posted a link of Chris Patten earlier today and his opinion of this crew.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Guardian Live;

Cost of living: No 10 defends above-inflation rise for pensioners but not public sector workers.

Well, that’s because there’s not a public sector worker in the country who would vote for the Nasty party. So why would Johnson care about them?
Whereas a load of Daily Mail addicted pensioners will vote for them quite happily. Even more so now.

Absolutely ****ing ludricous. This ****ing government.

To be fair, the reverse can happen too. Over here the Labour Victorian government just Chuck money at the public sector without any great return in terms of performance. Public debt has gone ballistic because of Civid but $3000 is being given as a bonus thank you to ALL public sector nurses. Other workers in the public sector are being given extra leave as a thank you for their efforts too.

Whilst the nursing profession did it really tough during Covid, how does this feel to those whose jobs were lost, or those whose small businesses will be paying the price for the next decade? As for extra ongoing holidays for the rest of them, it is nothing more than a bribe, not even thinly veiled. It works both ways.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be fair, the reverse can happen too. Over here the Labour Victorian government just Chuck money at the public sector without any great return in terms of performance. Public debt has gone ballistic because of Civid but $3000 is being given as a bonus thank you to ALL public sector nurses. Other workers in the public sector are being given extra leave as a thank you for their efforts too.

Whilst the nursing profession did it really tough during Covid, how does this feel to those whose jobs were lost, or those whose small businesses will be paying the price for the next decade? As for extra ongoing holidays for the rest of them, it is nothing more than a bribe, not even thinly veiled. It works both ways.

Well maybe but I’m talking about the U.K. where it most definitely does NOT work both ways.

The other difference being public sector workers such as nurses could very well use 3k and some extra holiday.
Millionaire city boys do not need any more money. In fact a lot of them did tremendously well out of Covid.

The people we were told to clap and bang pots for by Johnson are the people he is now shitting on from a great height.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe you could give some sources and links for all these things that 'you've heard' ?

There are 3 such trains operating on the Elizabeth Line - was on the BBC2 doc the other night.

I'm assuming that you have quoted my post by mistake as it seems to bear no relation :shrug:

I'm off to dinner because, being an old git, I wouldn't want to add to the confusion :wink:

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I struggle to take sides in this dispute and I don't want to blame the government or Labour either.

The fact is, this industry is a f**king shambles from top to bottom. The people running the train companies don't know their arses from their elbows and the people doing the work are already paid way in excess of what their skills would command elsewhere. The facts seem to be that the unions want 11%, the owners want to pay 2-3% (with attached conditions) and inflation is running at 11%. With literally every other industry you'd think "well there's a LOT of room for negotiation before resorting to a strike" but not with this lot. The union calls a strike whilst alleging that the owners haven't even contacted them.

I tell you what, it makes me think we can do without the pious "don't abuse our staff" posters we see, which largely happens because their service is absolute dog shit. The bottom line is quite clearly that nobody in the industry really gives a shit about the people paying through the nose for their appalling service. The customer always comes last in railway world.

It's telling that you even mention the Labour party - Why? The Tories have run the country for 12 years, to even imply that some blame may be applied to the opposition is bizarre.

The very problem with how this govt describe the railways and therefore how the public understand the railways is 'an Industry'. It's not, it's a service. As ever, we describe money spent on roads as 'investment', money spent on railways as 'subsidy'. Railways are there to facilitate the economy not to be a driver of it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tory on C4 News last night saying that the RMT is defending archaic practices citing "there are trains that can inspect the track for cracks as they go, and do so better than humans", the RMT guy says "We've had them since 2010, I negotiated the agreement to bring them in".

time to take advantage of them. engineers can focus on the fixes instead.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Tory on C4 News last night saying that the RMT is defending archaic practices citing "there are trains that can inspect the track for cracks as they go, and do so better than humans", the RMT guy says "We've had them since 2010, I negotiated the agreement to bring them in".

That being the case, what are the safety issues that are part of this strike? Clearly the tech works if they have been using it for 12 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Plenty on NSC. Plenty have said they will be voting anyone but tory while the blond rat is leader. They only have to say it once, though. I don't demand they post a penitant paen on a daily basis. Hat's off to the honourable tories :bowdown:

And the Johnson fluffers on NSC are a dwindling minority. Not even particuarly noisy anymore.

The parliamentary tory party, however, are of course less forthcoming. They are beginning to remind me of do-rights....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXMXZA-0eE

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That being the case, what are the safety issues that are part of this strike? Clearly the tech works if they have been using it for 12 years.

My understanding is over 2000 safety technician jobs are going, which the unions say will increase the risk of an incident.

Not all safety jobs can be done remotely or by drones.

As always two sides to a story...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My understanding is over 2000 safety technician jobs are going, which the unions say will increase the risk of an incident.

Not all safety jobs can be done remotely or by drones.

As always two sides to a story...

True but tech usually means that less people are required to fulfil a role.

Just seen an RMT guy on the news saying that the strike was about "modernising the economy" and "job security for our members". Didn't mention safety so I suspect that is a bit of a sideshow.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Honestly, I don't know exactly, I would guess that the redundancies of staff are what the RMT will be saying reduces safety.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tomorrow's front pages leading with the Tory's setting out plans tomorrow for their new Bill Of Rights. Basically a plan to overrule the ECHR.

This is a big, big step toward fascism.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Plenty on NSC. Plenty have said they will be voting anyone but tory while the blond rat is leader. They only have to say it once, though. I don't demand they post a penitant paen on a daily basis. Hat's off to the honourable tories :bowdown:

And the Johnson fluffers on NSC are a dwindling minority. Not even particuarly noisy anymore.

The parliamentary tory party, however, are of course less forthcoming. They are beginning to remind me of do-rights....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXMXZA-0eE

I’m one of them. I was a paid up member of the party before Johnson became leader. I can’t, in all good conscious, vote for the party though whilst he is still in charge.

Jul 20, 2003
That pledge of a high wage economy didn't work then.

Oh well.

Anyway ...everyone's bored of moaning about stuff aren't we?

"That's what I'm hearing on the doorsteps. "

Time to get behind our glorious leader.

Jul 20, 2003
...and all those greedy ******** dreaming of starting a family with a duel income of a little over 60k a year ... Both working a bit of overtime for those little extras (free range eggs and other such luxuries)

Should have had richer parents.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I hope some people who supported Brexit have now wised up to the fact that leaving the EU was simply a means to an end to the extreme fringe that had overtaken the Conservative party.

An extreme fringe that views historic big beasts of the party like Ken Clarke, John Major, Chris Patton etc as left wing.

I've always been completely ambivalent to idea of an EU in the modern age and decided that morning how to vote.

However, it didn't take much digging to find out what was really planned. It definitely didn't involve manufacturing, farming or fishing.

I voted to remain not so much to stay in the EU but to stop those with a further agenda to complete a mythical Thatcherite plan that she never had in the first place. This was less to do with the EU but more to do with turning the UK into a tax haven for foreign businesses, with a higher but "controlled" immigration level with lesser rights.

The Conservative party as we know it and supporters who have known it has long gone. It's a cult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here