Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You can understand Big Dog not wanting this story published, but what I can't understand is why The Times was so subservient, not a good look all round.

Times is be more level than some of the others but ultimately its Murdoch controlled. Seems the Rothermere rag pulled it too...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Boris Johnson has responded to the biggest rail strikes in a generation with plans to break the industrial action by allowing firms to bring in agency staff, a move unions have decried as unworkable, unsafe and potentially breaking international law.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

They would wouldn’t they?

What’s the issue to bring in agency staff for admin etc?

I don’t think they would be driving trains.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They would wouldn’t they?

I don’t think they would be driving trains.

What admin staff? Tickets? No, it's all contactless either by bank card or Oyster. Gate staff? Maybe one or two to help the disabled at the gates but again all automated.
There aren't just drivers, there are signallers and other very skilled jobs.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Well it's a bit pointless if you can't run trains because the signallers are all on strike. Or do you really think the rail network is shut down because there's nobody to flog tickets?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Boris Johnson has responded to the biggest rail strikes in a generation with plans to break the industrial action by allowing firms to bring in agency staff, a move unions have decried as unworkable, unsafe and potentially breaking international law.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Law breaking Crime Ministers gotta law break :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How long has it been since the Government were out in force telling us how terrible it was that P&O were replacing all their staff with agency people? Three months?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sounds about right. They are relentlessly shameless.

» Pay boost for banking execs: Downing Street has asked ministers to ease restraints on top City pay to show overseas companies benefits of Brexit'- and boost UK finance sector,

» Confidential letter between the Prime Minister's chief of staff, Steve Barclay, and Chancellor, Rishi Sunak. reveals the Government's attempt to attract more foreign firms to Britain

» The new deregulatory measures to reduce the burden on business' include the plan to boost City pay by 'removing restrictions on director (and non-executive director) remuneration as suggested by the London Stock Exchange to improve London's attractiveness for listings'

» Proposal is likely to prove controversial during cost of living crisis- with tens of millions of people hit by a squeeze on their earnings, including public sector workers on strike this week.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
How long has it been since the Government were out in force telling us how terrible it was that P&O were replacing all their staff with agency people? Three months?

Just remember the British are among the world's idlest workers in the world, Kwarteng, Patel, Raab, Truss told us...

We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds about right. They are relentlessly shameless.

» Pay boost for banking execs: Downing Street has asked ministers to ease restraints on top City pay to show overseas companies benefits of Brexit'- and boost UK finance sector,

» Confidential letter between the Prime Minister's chief of staff, Steve Barclay, and Chancellor, Rishi Sunak. reveals the Government's attempt to attract more foreign firms to Britain

» The new deregulatory measures to reduce the burden on business' include the plan to boost City pay by 'removing restrictions on director (and non-executive director) remuneration as suggested by the London Stock Exchange to improve London's attractiveness for listings'

» Proposal is likely to prove controversial during cost of living crisis- with tens of millions of people hit by a squeeze on their earnings, including public sector workers on strike this week.

[tweet]1539138067516342272[/tweet]

[tweet]1538867925993627648[/tweet]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I struggle to take sides in this dispute and I don't want to blame the government or Labour either.

The fact is, this industry is a f**king shambles from top to bottom. The people running the train companies don't know their arses from their elbows and the people doing the work are already paid way in excess of what their skills would command elsewhere. The facts seem to be that the unions want 11%, the owners want to pay 2-3% (with attached conditions) and inflation is running at 11%. With literally every other industry you'd think "well there's a LOT of room for negotiation before resorting to a strike" but not with this lot. The union calls a strike whilst alleging that the owners haven't even contacted them.

I tell you what, it makes me think we can do without the pious "don't abuse our staff" posters we see, which largely happens because their service is absolute dog shit. The bottom line is quite clearly that nobody in the industry really gives a shit about the people paying through the nose for their appalling service. The customer always comes last in railway world.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I struggle to take sides in this dispute and I don't want to blame the government or Labour either.

The fact is, this industry is a f**king shambles from top to bottom. The people running the train companies don't know their arses from their elbows and the people doing the work are already paid way in excess of what their skills would command elsewhere. The facts seem to be that the unions want 11%, the owners want to pay 2-3% (with attached conditions) and inflation is running at 11%. With literally every other industry you'd think "well there's a LOT of room for negotiation before resorting to a strike" but not with this lot. The union calls a strike whilst alleging that the owners haven't even contacted them.

I tell you what, it makes me think we can do without the pious "don't abuse our staff" posters we see, which largely happens because their service is absolute dog shit. The bottom line is quite clearly that nobody in the industry really gives a shit about the people paying through the nose for their appalling service. The customer always comes last in railway world.

I also hold this opinion. While at the same time applauding anyone standing up to the government. Just a shame it’s the rail industry.

I read that the grumpy people who stroll up and down the train checking tickets are on £33k a year.
The equivalent job might be checking tickets at the Odeon or being a traffic warden.

If there’s any trouble they can just walk away, lock themselves in the cabin and wait for the police at the next station.

33k.

But then I think good on them for fighting back. But then I think the rail service in this country is shite.

I’m torn!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Brilliant!

Capture.JPG

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am genuinely confused about the tory MPs all blaming kier starmer for the strikes. Can anyone explain please? 12 years in government and we are told these strikes are because of the opposition. I simply can’t compute what is going on.

I get they love to slate “the labour paymasters in the Unions” but this is weird. In fact the whole paymasters line is weird because the Tory paymasters are russia and the very rich who want to get richer at expense of the workers so I have never understood why that is morally better than being funded by people who want to improve things for their workers.

This is all just weird. Why do so many people fall for this crap?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

This.

If I turn up to my local station in the North East and want to buy a ticket on the day to go to London, it is going to set me back about £250. I could do a couple of return flights to Paris/Berlin for that sort of money. There is so much money swilling around the industry that it really sticks in the throat of consumers when these strikes happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here