Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I see another BJ coverup is brewing the Times Newspaper was apparently going run a story regarding Carrie Johnson being offered a position of Cheif of Staff when BJ was foreign secretary at a time when they were dating and as such I assume a conflict of interest, Number 10 got to hear about the story and contacted the Times and the story was never printed

The story was printed in the 1st edition and then pulled.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
OK. As a father of a 22 year old son into gaming, albeit on different games, I can offer a slightly different perspective. His take on many things is very different to mine. Not necessarily wrong. Just different. He often surprises me with how perceptive and astute he can be. He appears to be able to very accurately judge people, and sum them up very quickly.

That's nice. You have lost me a little though. But I'm glad to hear that you think so highly of your son.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
From the front page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61865657

"Women from ethnic minority or deprived backgrounds are more likely to get STI trichomonas vaginalis (TV) than others.

That's according to new research carried out into the largely unknown sexually transmitted infection by sexual health organisation PreventX."

Now, if you do research into PreventX, you will realise they have absolutely no credibility or experience in these findings, which themselves are extremely dubious. There is no challenging of the findings, no rebuttal or clinical examination of the findings, and an outrageously small test sample was used.

It is simply an opportunity to force a medical journal piece (a dubious one at that) onto the site, call it "news" and fulfil a quota by discussing an issue which may, allegedly, possibly affect a very small number of black women.

I stick to Reuters or the AP now.

Are you arguing that including a story about black women is left wing?!!!!

The BBC could easily currently be reporting that the Tories are planning to use Agency Workers to break the rail strike. They could highlight the interview with Chris Patten earlier today (very anti-Boris). They could highlight the spectre of even higher inflation (just flagged up by a senior BoE official). They could spotlight the on-going argument about the new UK quality standard (which has just flared up again, as business is so pissed off at the prospect of having to adhere to two sets of standards post-Brexit). Any of those stories could be perceived as "anti-Government". They are all significantly news-worthy, but the BBC seems to be studiously avoiding them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Feeling a bit left out [MENTION=12475]jcdenton08[/MENTION], am I on your ignore list?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's nice. You have lost me a little though. But I'm glad to hear that you think so highly of your son.

I've just showed my son our discussion.

He did cringe about the 'Deus ex'. But what he also said was that he has many friends in the US that he plays online with. He said that if they want to get news, they all avoid the US news outlets, and watch.......
the BBC.

Yes, really.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Criminal barristers have voted to strike in an escalating dispute with the government over funding for trials.

The vote by defence barristers is likely to cause chaos in the criminal courts in England and Wales.

Eight out of 10 barristers voted for the walkouts amid concerns the government will not improve a proposed increase in criminal Legal Aid.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not only jumped the queue but lied. Anaesthetists and surgeons immediately responding that he couldn’t be operated on under GA and then released so wuickly

Where's he going to find one of these at home or in the cabinet?
Capture.PNG

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I know it's not the point of the thread but it's been brilliant to read some of the strong defence of the BBC news. All I ever see online about it is criticism. I suppose it's just a result of the polarised society and the prevalence of news tailored to reinforce your views you get online. Inevitably people are going to see it as left wing if they only read right wing papers or twitter feeds and vice versa.

We're extrememly lucky to have the BBC, even if yes, some of it is dross. Lots of it is completely brilliant.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Compared to what? If your news generally comes from the right, then the BBC, as it seeks to provide balanced news reporting in the context of a capitalist society, would seem to be giving more credence to some left wing ideas than you are used to and therefore may seem leftist. However, check out any BBC news report that concerns the monarchy and you'll see that scope for providing actual left wing views is extremely limited.

Today's culture warriors on the right would have us all believe that a thing like calling trans people by their preferred pronouns is left wing. It isn't, its not actually political at all, just considerate of people's feelings. Actual left wing ideas like internationalist anti capitalism, moving towards public ownership, redistribution of wealth across the planet, dismantling of public schools, abolishing of private medicine, putting an end to inherited wealth and status, foreign policies based on what is best for people, not for the first world exploitation of resources are given virtually no airtime by the BBC.

To be fair, half the people who claim to be left wing have fallen for the same con, believing that having liberal personal politics makes you left wing. It doesn't. It makes you personally liberal. Its just as easy to couple these social views with right wing economic values as it is with left wing ones. However, its convenient to focus on because all the time the media is arguing about the vagaries of language around race sexuality or gender, they don't have to be reporting ideas that may be critical of the way the world's preferred economic system continues to exploit the powerless majority to the benefit of the powerful minority regardless of what language is being used.

It’s definitely an error to confuse being socially liberal with being leftist in politics. I don’t doubt there is crossover in some cases, but there will similarly be some crossover on the right as well, I suspect in similar numbers.

I personally find the BBC to be socially liberal, but it’s a national broadcaster whose remit is quite impossible. It has to make shows that appeal to a nation. This will by definition include coverage of groups who are or perceive themselves to be marginalised/under-represented.

I do feel that on occasion the BBC overcompensates, but I’m a middle-aged white bloke so I’m bound to, and my opinion is one of approximately 67 million. The BBC’s public remit is specifically to cover news of interest to the whole population, not just the lowest hanging fruit among that population.

GB News and Talk TV have demonstrated admirably that there is not sufficient demand for dedicated “alternative fact” news channels in the U.K. A news channel that tried to cater for the left of the political sphere e.g. “SWP TV” would similarly fall on its arse.

As such the BBC ploughs a lonely furrow, trying to reflect an incredibly diverse viewership. Many feel/felt queasy about the Banks/Farage axis being given airtime, others about trans activists (or critics of trans activism) being given airtime, [MENTION=12475]jcdenton08[/MENTION] believes that a poorly designed study has been given undue weight and prominence. If [MENTION=12475]jcdenton08[/MENTION]’s claim is correct, to my mind that’s evidence of a poor editorial decision rather than political bias. As others have pointed out, the fact that everyone has a different complaint about the BBC, rather suggests it’s doing its job.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, allegedly Johnson has had his hooter operated on.

Well, we all know Pinocchios story, don’t we?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is this not the same story reported on NSc a couple of days ago?

No. 10 have admitted they got the story pulled, which is quite something in itself. A Government telling a newspaper what it can and can’t print (and not just any paper, but The Paper Of Record), and they agreed to it.

But yeah the BBC ran a story about how fish are communists or something and that means they’re left wing, IDK I wasn’t paying attention.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It’s definitely an error to confuse being socially liberal with being leftist in politics. I don’t doubt there is crossover in some cases, but there will similarly be some crossover on the right as well, I suspect in similar numbers.

I personally find the BBC to be socially liberal, but it’s a national broadcaster whose remit is quite impossible. It has to make shows that appeal to a nation. This will by definition include coverage of groups who are or perceive themselves to be marginalised/under-represented.

I do feel that on occasion the BBC overcompensates, but I’m a middle-aged white bloke so I’m bound to, and my opinion is one of approximately 67 million. The BBC’s public remit is specifically to cover news of interest to the whole population, not just the lowest hanging fruit among that population.

GB News and Talk TV have demonstrated admirably that there is not sufficient demand for dedicated “alternative fact” news channels in the U.K. A news channel that tried to cater for the left of the political sphere e.g. “SWP TV” would similarly fall on its arse.

As such the BBC ploughs a lonely furrow, trying to reflect an incredibly diverse viewership. Many feel/felt queasy about the Banks/Farage axis being given airtime, others about trans activists (or critics of trans activism) being given airtime, [MENTION=12475]jcdenton08[/MENTION] believes that a poorly designed study has been given undue weight and prominence. If [MENTION=12475]jcdenton08[/MENTION]’s claim is correct, to my mind that’s evidence of a poor editorial decision rather than political bias. As others have pointed out, the fact that everyone has a different complaint about the BBC, rather suggests it’s doing its job.

Excellent post.

I make no apology for repeating something that simply blew my mind earlier this evening, the first time I became aware of it. My 22 year old son's online friends in the US (specifically in Florida, Maryland, Denmark and Georgia (the country, not the state), read the BBC for their news, and not the US news outlets.

Perhaps that's a lesson for us all. Perhaps we are so used to the BBC, that we don't realise just how good it is.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson has responded to the biggest rail strikes in a generation with plans to break the industrial action by allowing firms to bring in agency staff, a move unions have decried as unworkable, unsafe and potentially breaking international law.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Boris Johnson has responded to the biggest rail strikes in a generation with plans to break the industrial action by allowing firms to bring in agency staff, a move unions have decried as unworkable, unsafe and potentially breaking international law.

Law? What is the meaning of this word, law? Is it something that the masses are expected to follow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here