Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nope only complete tossers as alternatives.

Bit harsh on Ellwood. Agree with respect to Dorries, Sunak, Patel and the other shysters, though :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ellwood is right though.

EEA membership is the magic silver bullet that will drag the country off its knees.

We need a PM with the vision to see this.

Of course he’s right. But the modern Tory party isn’t interested in dealing with logic and reality. It prefers to deal with the fantasy world they’ve invented in their heads over the last 6 years, and they aren’t prepared to let that go just yet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Of course he’s right. But the modern Tory party isn’t interested in dealing with logic and reality. It prefers to deal with the fantasy world they’ve invented in their heads over the last 6 years, and they aren’t prepared to let that go just yet.
At some point or other even the most die hard Brexiteers are going to have to face the fact that we are worse off now and, it's actually going to get even worse !

Ellwood has put clear blue water between himself and those clinging to the Brexit wreckage hoping that the Titanic can repair itself somehow and refloat.

He's taken a bit of a gamble given the average Tory loon but, he's offering something else other than economic stupidity and increasing isolation from global partnerships...he's gone early as it were, but, he might win the race. Huge kudos awaits him if it comes off.

Remember, " In the Land of the Blind, The One Eyed Man is King "

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
At some point or other even the most die hard Brexiteers are going to have to face the fact that we are worse off now and, it's actually going to get even worse !

Ellwood has put clear blue water between himself and those clinging to the Brexit wreckage hoping that the Titanic can repair itself somehow and refloat.

He's taken a bit of a gamble given the average Tory loon but, he's offering something else other than economic stupidity and increasing isolation from global partnerships...he's gone early as it were, but, he might win the race. Huge kudos awaits him if it comes off.

Remember, " In the Land of the Blind, The One Eyed Man is King "

He has but we need to remember the loons, not the public, pick the leader for now. Elwood has probably put himself in the front running for the next Tory leadership contest (assuming current political trajectories continue and the Tories lose the next election), but the party simply isn’t ready to row back from the edge just yet.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He has but we need to remember the loons, not the public, pick the leader for now. Elwood has probably put himself in the front running for the next Tory leadership contest (assuming current political trajectories continue and the Tories lose the next election), but the party simply isn’t ready to row back from the edge just yet.

I’m pretty bored of the lot of them and reading about it - so might off the mark.

Wasn’t there a report of Elwood hosting a party during restrictions?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Previously ultra Johnson loyalist Mims Davies MP for Mid Sussex has chosen to avoid an outright statement of support for the lying charlatan in her response to the Grey report.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The boos for Johnson at the Jubilee have absolutely sunk him.

The Tories will look both totally spineless and a joke if they don't remove him now.

I expect a vote of confidence to be announced tomorrow, although the grandees may give him the option to just resign.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Johnson is toast . The end is nigh

Or, in terms Boris would understand, when all the chaps get back from half-term japes with mater and pater the Head Prefect’s in for a gosh darn rumble in the Common Room.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it's important to manage expectations. There might or might not be a vote of no confidence. He may well survive this and go onto head up the election campaign. Admittedly, that is all looking less likely with each passing hour but so far Johnson's tactic seems to be to refuse to budge for longer than people can stay angry with him. And it's worked so far.

This time next week the nation may well have forgiven him. Again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think it's important to manage expectations. There might or might not be a vote of no confidence. He may well survive this and go onto head up the election campaign. Admittedly, that is all looking less likely with each passing hour but so far Johnson's tactic seems to be to refuse to budge for longer than people can stay angry with him. And it's worked so far.

Nah.

The Tories don't sheath their knives after the first backstabbing.

I fully expect depfeffel to survive the first round, but his blood will be in the water and ALL the sharks will be circling.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

She is almost there though.

“Much has also rightly changed in Downing Street since all this came to light - much of it importantly driven by the PM himself. This is absolutely vital to respond to and I, like many across the country, know this must be fully delivered upon. The House of Commons Privileges Committee will now decide if the Prime Minister intentionally misled Parliament. We will all await this important process, and he has said he will not shy away from all it entails. The PM has admitted he should have done better, taken responsibility and is striving to show this in action. He and our Party working together have to use every sinew to turn this around.

So, after taking stock, I am in no doubt we have a very significant mountain to climb to fix this and all eyes are on this action and what the plan is. I know the Prime Minister is fully committed to doing so; we saw that in the announcements in supporting the most vulnerable once again in weathering this very financially difficult storm.”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It may have worked so far, but there's a momentum building. There are two byelections approaching. Tory MPs tend to be ruthless, and about the only thing that will prevent them from continuing this is the lack of an obvious successor.
I'd be amazed if the no-confidence vote isn't announced this week. What happens thereafter is less clear.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It may have worked so far, but there's a momentum building. There are two byelections approaching. Tory MPs tend to be ruthless, and about the only thing that will prevent them from continuing this is the lack of an obvious successor.
I'd be amazed if the no-confidence vote isn't announced this week. What happens thereafter is less clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGMNzpehiCU

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The crowd noticed it, because he got cheers for it.

As well they did, but that won't "cut through" (as the politicians like to say) as much as a comment from a comedian like Lee Mack.

Fry is a left leaning media lovey (from a privileged background) who likes to hang out with the Monarchy. He was a millionaire from theatre work before the vast majority of the country had heard of him.

Lee Mack is from Merseyside, started at Pontins who worked the clubs. It matters.

I'd imagine Johnson is relieved that I'm a Celebrity isn't on the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here