Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Would love to know where your actual experience of Politics comes from?

My late Father in Law was Chair of Horsham District Council (Lib Dem) and my Brother and his wife were (Labour) Councillors in Bury.

I suspect my opinions of the dirty games that go on are from personal knowledge
:lolol: superb

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a gut feeling the 54 votes were in on Tuesday.
Announcement this coming Monday or Tuesday.

Quite rightly the chair of the 1922 has chosen to not piss all over the jubilee by announcing to the nation something else to celebrate. Sir Graham, you're a gent :bowdown:

(and fortunately not related to Ian)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would love to know where your actual experience of Politics comes from?

My late Father in Law was Chair of Horsham District Council (Lib Dem) and my Brother and his wife were (Labour) Councillors in Bury.

I suspect my opinions of the dirty games that go on are from personal knowledge rather than the FT.

Happy Bank Holiday :wave:

Mate, that's quality. Baghdad level.

I once had a long chat with Sir James Black, and I've met Paul Janssen, but that doesn't mean I can speak with any genuine authority about drug discovery.

That's not to say you're not right, of course. A weak analogy is a long time in politics :wink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So in other words you don't actually know?

Well the BBC share the gut feeling of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - they have reported that they believe the 54 was reached this week and that it will be announced early next week ( delayed to avoid the Jubilee celebrations ).

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mate, that's quality. Baghdad level.

I once had a long chat with Sir James Black, and I've met Paul Janssen, but that doesn't mean I can speak with any genuine authority about drug discovery.

That's not to say you're not right, of course. A weak analogy is a long time in politics :wink:

Chairs of District Councils know MP's due to Joint Meetings and Social Events.

My late Father in Law, even though Lib Dem, knew and dealt with both of the Bottomleys, Fatty Soames, Francis Maude, Howard Flight and Henry Smith - although at the time he was leader of West Sussex County Council and not MP for Crawley.

Brother and thankfully ex Sister in Law also knew all the local Labour MPs. She in particular was hoping to become one and being a nasty piece of work I reckon she will get there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well the BBC share the gut feeling of [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - they have reported that they believe the 54 was reached this week and that it will be announced early next week ( delayed to avoid the Jubilee celebrations ).

Will we get another 2 days off work?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Quite rightly the chair of the 1922 has chosen to not piss all over the jubilee by announcing to the nation something else to celebrate. Sir Graham, you're a gent :bowdown:

He was probably more worried where anyone would have got hold of Bunting at that late date :wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Agreed.

Announcement on Monday morning is my guess.

No need to drag it out until Tuesday.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I could only hear cheering, I suppose if you guys want to keep looking for negatives you find what you want.
I can't believe how much time people have wasted on this thread getting angry......let.......it...go.

Mouldy, stop for a minute.

I understand you have a preferred political party, and that’s fine.

How about your own self-respect and credibility though?

If you are genuinely saying that you can listen to that clip and not hear booing, then fair enough that’s a health issue. If however your tribal loyalty to a political party is forcing you into such contortions that you’re denying reality, you’re publicly embarrassing yourself in front of others and reducing anyone’s ability to take you seriously in the future. Anything you post becomes untrustworthy.

I understand that you are one of Boris Johnson’s biggest fans, fair enough, there’s room in the world for all sorts, but posts like the one quoted above do you and your viewpoint no favours.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We clearly move in different circles :)

No sorry, many conversations came up with an acquaintance who works in an area with constant engagement with certain politicians. I was exactly like you, thinking this would be a great PM but when you dig behind the televised leadership debates there is often another story. It's always interesting talking to someone who takes a back seat and doesn't take a political perspective.

I'm genuinely surprised all the time, mostly those conversations are about competence rather than ideology. They are some frightful MPs who get things done, some "lovely" ones who are a nightmare to work with.

This time the conversation was more about public persona versus reality and I was pointed to the voting record to prove that I was wrong. Rory Stewart in his defence is one of those politicians to admit when he got something "wrong" and has done on a number of occasions, but I'm not sure he has addressed his voting record. I put that down to him being individually minded and frankly standing by it.

What we can agree on is that Rory Stewart would have been an absolute thorn in the side of Johnson as London Mayor but he bottled it / ran away with the reality of standing against Khan.

He also came up with a quite bonkers strategy ( #ComeKipWithMe ) where he offered to sleep on Londoner's sofas to hear about what they wanted from a London Mayor.

You don't need to sleep on people's sofas in your capital city, but then again if you are as out of touch as Rory maybe you do ? It's also a difficult strategy against the incumbent Mayor who is the son of a London Bus Driver.

He was also got found out on that campaign by claiming to video himself walking round London (selfie style) with a mobile when clearly he had a cameraman alongside.

When challenged it was a cheeky "you found me out grin" that only an education at Eton can prepare oneself for. It was the moment (for me) that Rory transformed into just another Johnson type politician.

He's clearly happier working abroad (even in a tent, smoking a spliff with locals), or working domestically on foreign issues than domestic ones.

If he had been the PM he would needed a Gordon Brown type figure to focus on the UK.

My personal view (albeit evidence based and not one based on social media) is that Rory Stewart is an opportunist from a similar background to Johnson, just not as good an opportunist.

Saw an interview with him the other day, in which he was asked if he felt he was honest as a politician, he immediately replied "No, definitely not". Comes across quite well still, but he clearly had ambitions, generally I think if you end up on the front benches of either party, you probably had to compromise your ethics and beliefs a fair bit, except for Johnson who only ever believed in Johnson and has few ethics anyway.
Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHfwRhevlNc

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If you are genuinely saying that you can listen to that clip and not hear booing, then fair enough that’s a health issue. If however your tribal loyalty to a political party is forcing you into such contortions that you’re denying reality, you’re publicly embarrassing yourself in front of others and reducing anyone’s ability to take you seriously in the future. Anything you post becomes untrustworthy.

I understand that you are one of Boris Johnson’s biggest fans, fair enough, there’s room in the world for all sorts, but posts like the one quoted above do you and your viewpoint no favours.

:lolol::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I still accept that Mouldy hears cheers. And I'm OK with that. :shrug:

I suspect the explanation for the difference in opinion is context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc

If you have been primed to expect a cacophany of boos then when you get something else all you may end up hearing is the something else.

Anyway, never mind.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

You'll have to excuse him. Keir Starmer refused to allow his kid to join Junior Labour despite them only being 10 years too old. He's a bit bitter because of it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You'll have to excuse him. Keir Starmer refused to allow his kid to join Junior Labour despite them only being 10 years too old. He's a bit bitter because of it.

:lolol:

I can't imagine Mouldy complaining about not getting a free RED shirt. I still think he's bitter about the Albion shirt because he wanted to dye the white stripes Tory Blue and replace the sponsor with a print of Boris's FACE.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
He's related to some VERY IMPORTANT people.

Didn't say that at all, they were Local Government who knew MP's and had an insight as to how Political Parties do stuff.

As mentioned I reckon my late and not lamented ex-Sister in Law will be clambering up the Slippery Pole shortly...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't say that at all, they were Local Government who knew MP's and had an insight as to how Political Parties do stuff.

As mentioned I reckon my late and not lamented ex-Sister in Law will be clambering up the Slippery Pole shortly...

Late? Dead people can run for office now? Thatcher for Grantham 2024. You heard it here first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here