Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Policies? Boris doesn’t have policies … he makes statements then hopes they happen. A strategy that one Adolf Hitler used. It’s the go to weapon of any populist leader and is lapped up by their less than bright supporters. All mouth but no substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think comments and attitudes such as that are where Labour went awry last time, and preached they'd learn

Seems not.

Negative electioneering doesn't work.

Carry on.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think comments and attitudes such as that are where Labour went awry last time, and preached they'd learn

Seems not.

Negative like our PM, in The House, calling the leader of the opposition Beer Starmer, Captain Hindsight and raking up false allegations regarding Jimmy Saville - that sort of negativity?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Most people vote for policies rather than individuals, or is that just me?

they don't, no

and you're still planning on voting for that moral vacuum, the custard filled matress known as bungle****?

These two posts actually made me reflect. My voting tendency is Tory and is generally policy and outlook before personality. But when I consider Labour, I look at personality before policy. Reading this thread which is naturally left leaning, and the above posts, it suggests Labour supporters do the same in reverse.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1530627345262219264[/tweet]

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
These two posts actually made me reflect. My voting tendency is Tory and is generally policy and outlook before personality. But when I consider Labour, I look at personality before policy. Reading this thread which is naturally left leaning, and the above posts, it suggests Labour supporters do the same in reverse.

Personally, my only preference is to get rid of this mendacious Government and the liar-in-chief Boris Johnson. They are destroying our democracy and our international reputation.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

most people vote tory because,

1 they always do, and

2 they assume that their quality of life will improve through slightly lower income tax, and never look any deeper than that

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

1 they always do, and

2 they assume that their quality of life will improve through slightly lower income tax, and never look any deeper than that

I suspect most people who vote Labour do so because they always do too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

1 they always do, and

The price of reduced Income Tax is a lack of Midwives, a lack of NHS Dentists, a lack of experienced teachers, a lack of Mental Health services, etc etc...oh, and a society slowly collapsing .

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I suspect most people who vote Labour do so because they always do too.

granted. what i mean is most people don't vote on polocies, who can be arsed to read a manifesto?

so voting for personalities makes sense.

bungle**** has so many character defects that he really should be seperated from society, not "leading it"

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The price of reduced Income Tax is a lack of Midwives, a lack of NHS Dentists, a lack of experienced teachers, a lack of Mental Health services, etc etc...oh, and a society slowly collapsing .

i know

they know

lots of people think that they are exceptional,

like depeffelfeffel, good education, think as mince

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
granted. what i mean is most people don't vote on polocies, who can be arsed to read a manifesto?

so voting for personalities makes sense.

bungle**** has so many character defects that he really should be seperated from society, not "leading it"

Interesting that Boris drew policy in to play by saying that a windfall tax would be 'unconservative', therefore it was voted down. Yet arguably a windfall tax would be the most populist and popular decision he could make. Surely every voter in the land would support it and I believe some of the energy companies signalled they would not oppose a proportionate tax on their windfall profits. No wonder the U-turn. On topic with policy versus personality, I now find myself drawn to try and look past the Labour personalities and see what policies they have to offer.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Seems not.

Carry on.

[emoji23]The Tory’s won the last election on the “anyone one but Corbyn” ticket …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
i know

they know

lots of people think that they are exceptional,

like depeffelfeffel, good education, think as mince

Speaking from the perspective of having spent five years as a boarder at a British public school I think this is worth commenting on.

Public schools do indeed have great resources. They have enough equipment and text books to go round, home-work (prep) and revision is supervised and compulsory. Class sizes are smaller. All the things you imagine, all true.

However, that doesn't mean the teaching and tuition is of a better standard. I don't know what it's like now but back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was there, teachers (Masters) barely stuck to a curriculum, half of them were semi-pissed, they dithered around with classroom tests asking cricket questions in maths tests so that nobody got full marks , the religious nutters just debated the bible all class, some just joked around with the sports cliques all period.

Masters well past their sell by dates talking about the war or cars or great test matches when they should have been teaching the curriculum. Classes were what I imagine a meeting at No.10 might be like today, good fun but totally unfit for purpose.

The real learning went on in extra-curricular classes run by teachers who were passionate about their subjects and wanted to teach. They ran extra classes in lunch breaks and evenings for those who were keen, because everyone knew you learnt **** all in most of the day classes.

Then you had the other element which idiots like Johnson and Mogg could very well have benefitted from. Not just rich parents but rich parent who were willing to throw money at the school;

"Mr. X, we think it would greatly advance your son's education if the new library was finished ahead of schedule. Mr. Y, we think you son could probably make the Rugby 1st's if only he had a new pitch to practice on" etc.....

The sort of parents who always had their cheque book on them when attending school functions.

That's not to say one had to be rich to get ahead there, if you were bright and applied yourself you would be fine. But if you weren't bright and didn't apply yourself but your parents had means, you would also be fine.

So in short, these people we perceive to have had great educations probably had nothing of the sort. They had expensive educations. Sure, they can quote a bit of Latin but they know nothing about history, politics, geo-politics, other nations, economics, social studies etc. All they learned was that pissing about and not putting the effort in didn't necessarily preclude you from being rewarded.

How disappointingly well it has served them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here