Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'll let Factcheck answer that question.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-corbyns-changing-brexit-stance

John Bercow was a Speaker in the manner of Betty Boothroyd, not allowing contempt of Parliament and pulling up those who seek to mock instead of debating. He was a Tory and not a puppet like Labour's Sir Lindsay Hoyle who ignores the misbehaviour in the House.

I must use that Factcheck more often.

Maybe you should, it would certainly make your posts more factual and make you appear better informed :thumbsup:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
More evidence coming to light of big dog's birthday party in the flat, that the police didn't investigate for some reason and which SG didn't investigate because she thought the police were investigating. All very convenient.

[tweet]1530804555096768513[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Shocking footage of police arresting people on a picket line. ...

not really anything to do with Tory meltdown, the situation here is strikers on picket line are breaking the law, harassing those that want to want to go to work and blocking access in and out. as we know thats against the law (some may not like it to be but there it is), and we're all very firm that the law should be followed right?
the strikers have been given the same deal as agreed in neighbouring districts, but dont want to accept it, with comments from a convenor they will strike until the rubbish is piling in the streets. good time to escalate, Brighton binmen planning on strike action again.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I tried not to respond, but your post illustrates exactly why Labour continues to struggle. The attitude that the media creates Tory voters' preferences rather than that they can think for themselves. The smug belief that only Labour voters are smart enough to vote intelligently because the Guardian or the Mirror tell the truth and they can see that. If Labour want to return to power they need to win hearts and minds of voters with sensible policies that engage with people's circumstances. Labour supporters saying Sun readers are stupid to vote Tory isn't exactly the best way to win them over. And be honest, just examine Corbyn for one of your 'villified' Labour leaders, it was his behaviour, attitudes, policies especially over blocking Brexit and a fanciful manifesto among other things that made him and Labour unelectable. Not the media having an unjustified pop at him.

Do I need to say anymore, given that we know the latter comment is untrue? To add, specifically which policies were on the 'fanciful' manifesto that all these Tory voters read are the ones that made him unelectable?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These two posts actually made me reflect. My voting tendency is Tory and is generally policy and outlook before personality. But when I consider Labour, I look at personality before policy. Reading this thread which is naturally left leaning, and the above posts, it suggests Labour supporters do the same in reverse.

Yes, those of us who 'always' vote X and 'never' vote Y are expert at cherry picking positive and negative justifications for both. At the moment those who always vote labour have it pretty easy cherry picking all the saint Starmer and bad Johnson reasons for doing so. When Theresa May was up against Corbyn it was the other way round. As an apparent Labour acolyte I am proud to say I urged people to vote against Corbyn. And after he went, and Starmer came along, I rejoined the party (that I had quit over Blair's pathetic decision to use taxpayers money to fund all religious schools). So while I agree with you completely, I do feel a tiny bit virtuous and, yes, smug:wink:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I posted here a month or so ago, my letter to my local (Tory) MP urging him to do the right thing, in light of Johnson’s behaviour (most especially lying to Parliament). He replied to say he took the matter seriously, and that he had supported the Labour motion for Johnson to be subject to a Committee enquiry into his conduct, but that he would not be in a position to reply further until the Sue Grey report was complete. I followed up last week, and here below is his (heartening) reply;

Thank you for your email following the much-awaited release of the Sue Gray Report.

While I have commented (and replied to correspondence) many times throughout the police investigation - and Sue’s Cabinet Office inquiry - I promised I would say more after its’ publication on what has been happening inside No.10 and what I think should happen next.

I have represented Winchester & Chandler’s Ford since 2010 and, even my most bitter opponents, would struggle to say I haven’t worked tirelessly in the constituency, in Parliament and for a number of years in Government as a Health Minister. I hope I have always acted with integrity and done my job for all constituents whether they support me or not.

There is no question in my mind, the events collectively known as ‘party-gate’, have created a sense of great disappointment and mistrust in our Government and the Conservative Party. This is neither sustainable for the country or fair on good people (including MPs) just doing their job.

The Gray report did not, if I am being honest, tell me much I wasn’t already aware of but it’s a comprehensive piece of work and taken together with everything else provides a much fuller picture of what went on and why. What is new, and I think the report is shocking in this respect, is it’s clear officials at No.10 were aware what was going on (“we think we’ve got away with it”) and of course the Privileges Committee of the House of Commons will now look at whether the PM misled Parliament in that respect.

For me also, new revelations in the Sue Gray report that staff and cleaners were not treated properly is deeply disappointing and speaks to a culture inside Downing Street which I find distasteful to put it mildly. It was right for the Prime Minister to apologise to them and I note a number of reforms that Sue Gray has welcomed in her final report. Yes, all the senior management at No.10 have changed since these events – except the PM – and that’s a problem.

There is of course a bigger picture here about leadership, honesty and decency. Not whether this Prime Minister can get away with it, but whether he should.

I said some time ago, I thought it was inevitable the Prime Minister would face a vote of confidence among Conservative MPs (it was widely reported) and I haven’t changed my view. All I can do as a backbencher is seek to trigger that process and (some time ago actually) I have done that.

I have said throughout this sorry saga I cannot and will not defend the indefensible. Rule makers cannot be law-breakers. We do need to move on but we cannot do that without regaining public trust and I am quite sure that’s possible in the current situation.

There are so many pressing issues facing our country and the world at this time. For my part I will get on with the job I was elected to do and you can follow that via all the links below. You can also sign up to my regular email newsletter on my homepage at www.stevebrine.com

Have a pleasant weekend,

Steve Brine MP

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
not really anything to do with Tory meltdown, the situation here is strikers on picket line are breaking the law, harassing those that want to want to go to work and blocking access in and out. as we know thats against the law (some may not like it to be but there it is), and we're all very firm that the law should be followed right?
the strikers have been given the same deal as agreed in neighbouring districts, but dont want to accept it, with comments from a convenor they will strike until the rubbish is piling in the streets. good time to escalate, Brighton binmen planning on strike action again.

If only the Police showed the same 'efficiency' and enthusiasm when No. 10 was holding its numerous Lockdown parties, instead of apparently turning a blind eye, repeatedly, when all these senior Tories and officials were boozing and dancing inside, or coming and going all evening long.

Always plenty of police available, though, to deal with strikers on picket lines, or when women protested against the murder of Sarah Everard.

Law-and-order, and "the Law must be upheld", only seems to apply when it involves assaulting and arresting the sort of people the Tories and the Daily Mail don't like. The law is not applied equally to everyone; it is targetted against particular sections of society, against people who Tories don't like.

I never hear Tories bang on about "the rule of law" when, for example, illegal Fox Hunts take place on a regular basis - the fox-hunters even brazenly film themselves, and post on social media, setting out for a Hunt, knowing full well that the Police won't arrest them.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A picket line is not illegal.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/article...an lawfully join a,or near your own workplace

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If only the Police showed the same 'efficiency' and enthusiasm when No. 10 was holding its numerous Lockdown parties, instead of apparently turning a blind eye, repeatedly, when all these senior Tories and officials were boozing and dancing inside, or coming and going all evening long.

Always plenty of police available, though, to deal with strikers on picket lines, or when women protested against the murder of Sarah Everard.

Law-and-order, and "the Law must be upheld", only seems to apply when it involves assaulting and arresting the sort of people the Tories and the Daily Mail don't like. The law is not applied equally to everyone; it is targetted against particular sections of society, against people who Tories don't like.

I never hear Tories bang on about "the rule of law" when, for example, illegal Fox Hunts take place on a regular basis - the fox-hunters even brazenly film themselves, and post on social media, setting out for a Hunt, knowing well that the Police won't arrest them.

Yes, it was established the Met Police violated the rights of the women at the Sarah Everard vigil. That is awful enough, but even worse when you consider they knew, at the time, it was one of their own officers who had kidnapped, raped and murdered her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/11/world/europe/uk-sarah-everard-protest-court.html

Leaders of Sarah Everard Vigil Had Rights Violated by Police, Court Rules
The judgment comes at a particularly fraught time for London’s Metropolitan Police Service, and as Parliament considers a law that would broaden police powers to clamp down on protests.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Do I need to say anymore, given that we know the latter comment is untrue? To add, specifically which policies were on the 'fanciful' manifesto that all these Tory voters read are the ones that made him unelectable?

How about the one about paying up to £32k to the Waspi women pensioners who lost out when pension ages were raised? Even my wife who would have benefitted didn't believe that one!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I posted here a month or so ago, my letter to my local (Tory) MP urging him to do the right thing, in light of Johnson’s behaviour (most especially lying to Parliament). He replied to say he took the matter seriously, and that he had supported the Labour motion for Johnson to be subject to a Committee enquiry into his conduct, but that he would not be in a position to reply further until the Sue Grey report was complete. I followed up last week, and here below is his (heartening) reply;

Well done him. I wish my local MP would reply to emails.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Excellent. It is pleasing but not surprising to have it reconfirmed that there are decent tories in parliament (not just on NSC - and there are many here). :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent. It is pleasing but not surprising to have it reconfirmed that there are decent tories in parliament (not just on NSC - and there are many here). :thumbsup:

Indeed there are.

And the same few who still won't condemn Johnson (just in the interest of balance, obviously) even though the evidence of his incompetence, corruption and dishonesty is overwhelming. But at least they reluctantly stated that they may glance at the Labour Manifesto or policies before they vote at the next election (although they still don't like Starmer and the 'lefties').

The fact that they haven't even considered manifestos or policies from any other parties, just confirms what we all know the response will be from their investigations.

TL;DR Now where is the Johnson candidate ? :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More evidence coming to light of big dog's birthday party in the flat, that the police didn't investigate for some reason and which SG didn't investigate because she thought the police were investigating. All very convenient.

[tweet]1530804555096768513[/tweet]

Surely a work event?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here