Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No other PM would have survived this in a normal Tory government. But, this is a government shaped in Johnsons own image, devoid of more than a handful of dissenting voices and little more than a cult.

We have a government of liars and probably we will have this for some time.

There needs to be a massive trust rebuilding job for whichever party takes office post Johnson.

I don’t think it is a question of “surviving”.

I think it is a question of having no moral compass, of feeling untouchable, of not acknowledging the truth of the anger that is around him. He will never resign of his own volition because he is too thick-skinned and convinced of his own invincibility.

There is not an ounce of decency about the man. He says he has learnt the lessons, but everyone knows it will make absolutely no difference at all. He won’t go without being removed.

One of the most telling things for me in the report was the fact that Sue Gray highlighted in her main points the disrespect and bad treatment of security staff and cleaners. The man is a complete Bottomwipe who has no time at all for ordinary people, who he probably sees as beneath contempt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The problem is not just party gate, he breaks international law, he breaks domestic domestic law, he send his minyans to lie to our Queen, he doesn't discipline his own staff, he.destroys our institutions, he makes everyone carry the can for his errors and recklessness

Today we said goodbye to the democratic system that we have.

The UK needs a written constitution,
that said the longer Johnson remains in office the greater the chance is, there will be no UK...

Playing Devil's advocate, we have two threads on the recent gun killing of school kids. This is in part the consequence of a constitution (that guarantees the right to carry arms) - an immutable set of rules that can, and almost inevitably, will become obsolete at some point and hence a millstone around a nation's neck.

We don't need a written constitution. We have laws.

We do perhaps need to change some of the rules. For examply Johnson is getting away with misleading parliament because it is an offence only if you do so knowingly and deliberately. All you need to do is apologize and say it was unintentional and all will be well.

That said, there is an argument that the executive should not be bound by rules that preclude nimble and necessary action in times of crisis. This is pretty much Johnson's defense (that, and that he did not knowingly and deliberately break rules and if he did he is 'humbled'). A significant number of us public, punters and people in general accept this, and are part of the 'time to move on' movement. I don't agree with the sentiment (because Johnson's mien speaks to the issue of trust) but I understand it.

The question is what can be done about this? I suspect nothing, till the next general election. Then, tactical voting and attempts, somehow, to persuade the floating voter to forget about Dianne Abbott, Captain Hindsight and whatabout Jeremy Corbyn.

It won't be easy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I understand that NSC is no Boris supporters club

But what is notable there is not one headbanger leaping to his defence.

All gone every single one

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Heads should roll in the institutionally-corrupt Met for failing to apply thousands of Fixed Penalty Notices to all those attending the illegal No.10 leaving / birthday do's

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
BJ doing some pure shit-or-bust brassnecking. Don't think he actually cares any more if he gets removed from office or not. Probably already fully focussed on his big bucks book deal

No. He is absolutely determined to carry on and absolutely confident he will be able to do so.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Tory MP Aaron Bell asking Fatty if reports that he asked Sue Grey not to release her report are true. Fatty swerves, Bell shakes his head in obvious disgust

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

They don't need to. They have already moved on!

All of us posting today are of a similar mind (except one pragmatist). But just like PPF thinks right minded folk are all like him because he lives in a fake news neonazi bubble, we are also guilty of assuming the argument is won because of our own echo chamber.

My feeling, as the minutes pass, is that Johnson has slipped out of the hands of retribution like a carelessly-handled bar of soap in the shower.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A Government which a symbol of the national decline they themselves have kicked off

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
He will remain. When you remove all of the people from your party with any integrity and replace them with 99% of morally vacuous drones, that's what will happen.

Some may well be looking around at their Conservative colleagues, looking to see who could be the new leader, but all they see is incompetence, ineptitude, and imbeciles. Failing to realise that others look at them with the same realisation.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Any Tory who doesn’t now speak up is complicit and just as bad as Johnson. None of them should be allowed to represent us anymore. The facts are there and clear for all to see. Johnson is an arrogant coward.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I'm pretty sure the most shouty of them were banned from this thread a long time ago.

They're still about. Laughing at all the wokey pokey snowflakey communists professional complainers, or whatever they like to call us these days.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1529446965054181378[/tweet]

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He will remain. When you remove all of the people from your party with any integrity and replace them with 99% of morally vacuous drones, that's what will happen.

Some may well be looking around at their Conservative colleagues, looking to see who could be the new leader, but all they see is incompetence, ineptitude, and imbeciles. Failing to realise that others look at them with the same realisation.

It will fall to the electorate to remove them. If they don't at the next opportunity, all hope for this country is lost

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think I've spoken about this before but how our parliament works really gets on my nerves. You'd think in a civilised society our elected representatives would be able to say their piece in a debate and not be heckled or barracked or shouted over. There's all these rules about respect and decency in that chamber but they're all yelling at each other like angry toddlers.

When you look at discourse online and wonder why so much of it is hate filled one-upmanship you only have to look at PMQs to understand why.

Again, I would love for the opposition to just not bother turning up to PMQs one of these days. Just not go. Stay in their constituencies and hold surgeries when they're supposed to be in the chamber watching lies tumble out of Johnson's quivering maw.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Will be interesting to see how the lying charlatan does at the press conference this afternoon - hope the journos don't let him get away with refusing to answer tricky questions as seemed to be his tactic in the Commons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here