Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
On a more general note, this drip feed of leaked info is surely and inside attempt to undermine Johnson. How much more info will the Mirror be releasing over the next few days.

In some respects it reminds me of 24 hours in Police Custody. Undertake an interview and give the accused just enough rope to hang themselves and when they've given their reasons, more evidence to contradict it is released at the next interview and so and so on. Death by a 1000 cuts.

The only suggested change to this I would make is that I think you are giving too much credit to the Mirror and not enough to a certain Mekon.

s-l400.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

On a more general note, this drip feed of leaked info is surely and inside attempt to undermine Johnson. How much more info will the Mirror be releasing over the next few days.

In some respects it reminds me of 24 hours in Police Custody. Undertake an interview and give the accused just enough rope to hang themselves and when they've given their reasons, more evidence to contradict it is released at the next interview and so and so on. Death by a 1000 cuts.

It’s actually a very good sales/clicks strategy for The Mirror.

They’ve probably been sitting on this stuff for months. It’s like they’ve got a ‘Parties’ advent calendar where they reveal more ‘one rule for them……’ style outrages each day. As people go to Xmas parties this year, it’s the perfect time to remind them that although outlawed last year, the Tories were still having them.

Johnson must be shitting himself. Whilst he is meant to be leading the Country through one of the most difficult times in the pandemic, I suspect him and his cronies are only focused on trying to work out what pictures have been leaked from the illegal parties last year and who the bean spillers are. There is a reason that they are getting their figures wrong and making errors on targets, their minds are elsewhere.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Billionaire Property Developer & Tory Donor Nick Candy there to

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well to be fair, this one isn't being investigated and is separate from the rest. It was dealt with it "in house" and some were disciplined ages ago.

This one definitely was a party and they haven't said it wasn't.

Not much do with number ten either. They didn't really support Bailey because he was awful and the PM really doesn't want a Tory as London Mayor does he ?

Bailey is classless waiting for the picture to come out and the Tory GLA statement says it all:

Just because it was dealt with "in house" doesn;t prevent a criminal investigation taking place. It is obviously a crime and it has been notified to the met. What is their justification for not pursuing it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just because it was dealt with "in house" doesn;t prevent a criminal investigation taking place. It is obviously a crime and it has been notified to the met. What is their justification for not pursuing it?

their justification is they are not investigating retrospective covid breaches. any. its not good use of their time and effort. there were thousands of breaches and they decided a long time ago on this approach. and in the case of most of these parties, there is defense of it being a business, work meeting. the political damage is being done, let the police stay out of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Shaun Bailey was chair of the police and crime committee? The headlines say he has resigned. Yes, he has resigned as chair, but is still on the committee.

:rant:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
their justification is they are not investigating retrospective covid breaches. any. its not good use of their time and effort. there were thousands of breaches and they decided a long time ago on this approach. and in the case of most of these parties, there is defense of it being a business, work meeting. the political damage is being done, let the police stay out of it.

There should be some internal police investigations asking why police knowingly let it happen as it took place. Clearly a planned party with that proper catering in place - rather than some 'ad-hoc' get together

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Shaun Bailey was chair of the police and crime committee? The headlines say he has resigned. Yes, he has resigned as chair, but is still on the committee.

And I wonder where that edict that it would be a waste of police time to investigate covid parties originated from?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I find them using that word slightly odd - I mean, aren't all crimes investigated 'retrospectively'? I don't entirely disagree with your argument, just saying that the reason they use is a little flakey and could be assigned to, literally, any crime.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I find them using that word slightly odd - I mean, aren't all crimes investigated 'retrospectively'? I don't entirely disagree with your argument, just saying that the reason they use is a little flakey and could be assigned to, literally, any crime.

completely true, but they have made these statements about covid enforcement before. because they are inundated with reports of breachs, and when they prosecuted people the tabloids cried about how unfair it was to fine some poor bugger.

as for them knowing something was happening, at Tory HQ basement i cant see why, and at Downing St (and most other gov departments) it was the staff there. do people really want them to spend the effort of investigating only to find, yes, technically there wasnt a breach of the law as all in attendance were in a work bubble? the damage is in the parties happening at all, when the public were told we couldnt.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
as for them knowing something was happening, at Tory HQ basement i cant see why, and at Downing St (and most other gov departments) it was the staff there. do people really want them to spend the effort of investigating only to find, yes, technically there wasnt a breach of the law as all in attendance were in a work bubble? the damage is in the parties happening at all, when the public were told we couldnt.

There are people there that are not in a work bubble.

My gym was running zoom classes lockdown after christmas, but from within their gym. They got 'raided' by 6 police officers because local neighbours thought they were still open as cars were in the car park, lights on etc. So don't tell me a bonafide PARTY with alcohol, catered food etc should be beyond the polices reach. One rule for them, one rule for us.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Two points:
1. As chair of the committee he has a duty to report any breaches of the law, he cannot turn a blind eye in the same way that lay people can.
2. He could (should?) be investigated for Misconduct in Public Office.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Two points:
1. As chair of the committee he has a duty to report any breaches of the law, he cannot turn a blind eye in the same way that lay people can.
2. He could (should?) be investigated for Misconduct in Public Office.

Hopefully the Good Law Project will be on it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
There are people there that are not in a work bubble.

My gym was running zoom classes lockdown after christmas, but from within their gym. They got 'raided' by 6 police officers because local neighbours thought they were still open as cars were in the car park, lights on etc. So don't tell me a bonafide PARTY with alcohol, catered food etc should be beyond the polices reach. One rule for them, one rule for us.

if someone had reported at the time, who knows what may have occured. im commenting on what happens now with investigations of breaches in the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here