Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why don't the Beeb name the MP, just referring him as 'an un-named MP' accused of these incidents.

I accept he's innocent until proven guilty, but it's hardly a secret - his name is literally all over the internet and reported by several other media outlets?

Yes, his name may be all over the internet but, the law is the law and he has a right to anonymity.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just seen the opening to C4 news, inflation the highest since 1980, the highest inflation in the G7 and the country imminently tipping in to recession..

What a bunch of lying scrotes, Johnson said at PMQ's that we had a robust and booming economy, more people in work than ever before more people lifted out of benefits.... no wonder they are flogging off C4

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1526859756715003904[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why don't the Beeb name the MP, just referring him as 'an un-named MP' accused of these incidents.

I accept he's innocent until proven guilty, but it's hardly a secret - his name is literally all over the internet and reported by several other media outlets?

Male is in 50's, quite a few...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Love this 'right on' thread.

Still waiting for an actionable, costed policy from the opposition.

After free wi-fi, I'm sure a pip and a dandy is just around the corner.

unnamed.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

View attachment 147989

How about a windfall tax on the energy companies?

Meanwhile…..the Conservative Government
- WASTED how many billions - yes, that’s billions, not millions - on track and trace?
- Wasted how much on PPE that could never be used while illegally providing opportunities for their friends and supporters to line their pockets and make obscene profit margins .
- are really screwing up Northern Ireland through their own stupidity and incompetence, while trying to blame the EU for trying to implement a deal which they didn’t expect anybody to try and implement….. you couldn’t make it up.
- have all sorts of wonderful ideas for helping people to deal with the cost of living crisis - just get a better job, work longer hours, use value brands, you can cook a meal for 30p
- has ministers who haven’t a clue about their briefs - Nadine Dorries wanting to privatise Channel 4, which……… isn’t in public ownership…….. it’s already privately owned, you dimwit.

I could go on………

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

View attachment 147989
Yes we should just let a party in on the back of no costings whatsoever, but an awful lot of empty promises that are consistently broken.

The thing about costing things in your manifesto, you can be held to account. The Tories didn't bother with anything tangible in theirs, but the morons voted for them anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But she said it in her new, low voice so it was all dignified and that.

It's hard to think of an MP post Thatcher who has had such obvious voice coaching in such a short space of time.

Lower your voice, talk slower and never smile.

I think the problem she has is the previous is so readily available and quite bonkers. Thatcher spoke in a higher voice and talked quicker, but that's it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Saw a post somewhere the other day, the person posted that Thatchers Tories were plain nasty, Majors Tories were sleazy, Camerons Tories were too posh and out of touch with the world of ordinary people, Johnsons Tories are all of the above, and incompetent as well.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
How about a windfall tax on the energy companies?

Meanwhile…..the Conservative Government
- WASTED how many billions - yes, that’s billions, not millions - on track and trace?
- Wasted how much on PPE that could never be used while illegally providing opportunities for their friends and supporters to line their pockets and make obscene profit margins .
- are really screwing up Northern Ireland through their own stupidity and incompetence, while trying to blame the EU for trying to implement a deal which they didn’t expect anybody to try and implement….. you couldn’t make it up.
- have all sorts of wonderful ideas for helping people to deal with the cost of living crisis - just get a better job, work longer hours, use value brands, you can cook a meal for 30p
- has ministers who haven’t a clue about their briefs - Nadine Dorries wanting to privatise Channel 4, which……… isn’t in public ownership…….. it’s already privately owned, you dimwit.

I could go on………

You've educated me about Channel 4. All the sources I have googled say that it is a government corporation, owned by the state. Assuming all those sources are wrong, who actually does own it?

https://inews.co.uk/culture/televis...how-much-nadine-dorries-privatisation-1557103
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_4
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...sation-how-would-it-work-and-who-would-buy-it

(There's a lot of dimwits about!)

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You've educated me about Channel 4. All the sources I have googled say that it is a government corporation, owned by the state. Assuming all those sources are wrong, who actually does own it?

https://inews.co.uk/culture/televis...how-much-nadine-dorries-privatisation-1557103
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_4
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...sation-how-would-it-work-and-who-would-buy-it

(There's a lot of dimwits about!)

are you voting tory at the next election?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Channel Four privatisation plan really does expose this administration for what they are.

The only company it will advantage is whoever they sell it off to, whilst damaging the myriad of small independent production companies it supports.

Nobody asked for it and the industry doesn't want it.

It's a token privatisation a bit like the railways sell off under Major when there wasn't anything left to sell off. Even Thatcher would disagree as she created it.

The whole point of Channel Four was to create an independent production sector in competition to the "monopolies" of ITV and the BBC. Channel Four doesn't make any programmes, it's commissions them and is effectively a publisher.

This in turn then led to those old established TV broadcasters being forced to use same independents.

By using the excuse that it "frees" Channel Four to make it's own programmes completely misses the point. It doesn't need to compete with Netflix (which is billions in debt) and makes a small surplus.

You might as well go down your local butchers and tell them they need to sell their business to compete with the American streaming giants.

Inevitably it just converts Channel Four into a "super indie" that will muscle out a number of smaller independents.

It's anti Thatcherite by nature but being sold as a great sell off in the spirit of Thatcherism.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tory’s getting rid of any dissenting voices.

CH4 news asks too many questions for the criminals running our country. It’s unique business model doesn’t make enough money for the fat cats. Quash it’s remit, bleed it dry. The Tory way.

Many films such as My Beautiful Launderette and East Is East would never have been made were it not for Film4.

People will miss it when it’s gone.

We cry for the Gods and and the Angels and when they appear we ignore them for the sound of a fly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tory’s getting rid of any dissenting voices.

CH4 news asks too many questions for the criminals running our country. It’s unique business model doesn’t make enough money for the fat cats. Quash it’s remit, bleed it dry. The Tory way.

Many films such as My Beautiful Launderette and East Is East would never have been made were it not for Film4.

People will miss it when it’s gone.

We cry for the Gods and and the Angels and when they appear we ignore them for the sound of a fly.

And this is the crazy thing.

Channel Four News is made by ITN. The same company that makes the news for ITV and Channel 5.

Film Four is a company owned by Channel Four. Although Channel Four doesn't make any programmes it does own a successful feature film company.

No idea what happens to that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And this is the crazy thing.

Channel Four News is made by ITN. The same company that makes the news for ITV and Channel 5.

Film Four is a company owned by Channel Four. Although Channel Four doesn't make any programmes it does own a successful feature film company.

No idea what happens to that.

Shareholders decide what it's output is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here