Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

The MP has not been suspended by the Conservative party but Chris Heaton-Harris, the chief whip, asked him to stay away from parliament.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Worth mentioning that this approach didn’t work with the last Tory MP who was accused of sexual assault. He turned up to parliament anyway prior to being convicted.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Worth mentioning that this approach didn’t work with the last Tory MP who was accused of sexual assault. He turned up to parliament anyway prior to being convicted.
Absolutely, so no point in looking out for the MP's who it could be since they could be there anyway..

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Absolutely, so no point in looking out for the MP's who it could be since they could be there anyway..

They'll only be talking about something stupid like insisting the BBC play God Save The Queen every day. Do you remember when a Tory MP got a bee in his bonnet about that? That was a strange one, wasn't it?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Some of which are said to have happened on the parliamentary estate.

And the Tory response: "oops, we may not have vetted candidates for 2017 and 2019 GE's well enough because of snap elections." Glad to see they understand how calendars work :facepalm:

If it's taken the police two years' investigation to find evidence to charge him with, then presumably the Tories would have needed to start their investigation in 2017 for the 2019 election.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
I wouldn't like to be the mod policing this thread. You'd have to be constantly refreshing it so you can jump on a comment that divulges the name and bin it asap.

They'll be on their way to a new tension headache, that's for sure

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If it's taken the police two years' investigation to find evidence to charge him with, then presumably the Tories would have needed to start their investigation in 2017 for the 2019 election.

Burden of proof is far greater for a prosecution than for a decision about someone being a suitable candidate!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Criminal Justice System has been completely wrecked since 2010. Then there has been covid, so it's no surprise it has taken this long to arrest him.

This is why there is only a 2% conviction rate for rapes. Victims often cannot face giving evidence any more, because the burden of proof is on the prosecution, and it drags on and on.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The Criminal Justice System has been completely wrecked since 2010. Then there has been covid, so it's no surprise it has taken this long to arrest him.

This is why there is only a 2% conviction rate for rapes. Victims often cannot face giving evidence any more, because the burden of proof is on the prosecution, and it drags on and on.

It's an absolute mess.

Someone I know's life has been pretty much wrecked over incidents that happened about 3 years ago. She summoned the courage to go to the police about 18 months ago, leading to an arrest just over a year ago. Still no trial. She has major wobbles now and then, just wanting some form of closure, but also sick of it being at the back (often front) of her mind, knowing that a lot of terrible things will be picked over in court. She's in a form of purgatory - not wanting him to get away with what he has done. but not wanting everything dredged up again and in the meantime having to wait longer and longer while there is no court date (already 6 months past when the police estimated it could/should be). It would be a hard enough situation for her to deal with as it is, but the delays and uncertainty are definitely making it worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's an absolute mess.

Someone I know's life has been pretty much wrecked over incidents that happened about 3 years ago. She summoned the courage to go to the police about 18 months ago, leading to an arrest just over a year ago. Still no trial. She has major wobbles now and then, just wanting some form of closure, but also sick of it being at the back (often front) of her mind, knowing that a lot of terrible things will be picked over in court. She's in a form of purgatory - not wanting him to get away with what he has done. but not wanting everything dredged up again and in the meantime having to wait longer and longer while there is no court date (already 6 months past when the police estimated it could/should be). It would be a hard enough situation for her to deal with as it is, but the delays and uncertainty are definitely making it worse.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Every case has to go through the magistrates court first, and the Tories have closed (sold off) 50% of them. Remaining courts are falling to bits from lack of repairs. It is a total mess.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Burden of proof is far greater for a prosecution than for a decision about someone being a suitable candidate!!

a DBS/CRB check will only pick up existing convictions, they do not report allegations or investigations. not really any other vetting process, other than asking around "is he a good egg", which isnt going to raise an unknown allegation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's an absolute mess.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Every case has to go through the magistrates court first, and the Tories have closed (sold off) 50% of them. Remaining courts are falling to bits from lack of repairs. It is a total mess.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Not sure if you missed it or not - my point was that this person was an MP long before either of those elections and thus would have *already* been vetted by their normal process, not the rushed one. I guess they could argue that re-vetting was curtailed (or possibly even skipped given sitting MPs are rarely ever deposed by their own party).

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
They'll only be talking about something stupid like insisting the BBC play God Save The Queen every day. Do you remember when a Tory MP got a bee in his bonnet about that? That was a strange one, wasn't it?

I see what you did there.

2022-05-18 (2).png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Meanwhile, you can always rely on Fabricant to be an utter bellend

[tweet]1526869700126380033[/tweet]

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

This pretty much sums it all up doesn’t it? It’s just a ****ing laugh to them isn’t it? Austerity, Brexit, Covid, cost of living crisis, breaking their own laws, even rape allegations. Utterly despicable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He deleted it after an hour especially when the Welsh Secretary, Simon Hart, said "It's idiotic, it's insensitive, and it attempts to make light of a really serious situation, I despair when I read stuff like that"

The Tory whips also said it was offensive.

He deleted it but not before he called those who said was offensive 'professional offence takers'.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Some similarities with the days of the poll tax riots:

Over a decade of Tory rule - Check.
Rampant Tory sleaze - Check
Massive political disconnect between government and electorate - Check
Cost of living crisis - Check

All it would take is a left-wing march on a hot day in central London and I think you could easily it kick off, maybe a social-media inspired quarter of a million people descending on the capital over a couple of hours to vent their anger, have a pop at the police, commit some mindless vandalism and maybe a bit of looting thrown in.

It might be worth pointing out that during that Tory rule period, 7 separate Labour MPs have received a jail sentence for criminal activity. (1 of them was a suspended sentence.)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why don't the Beeb name the MP, just referring him as 'an un-named MP' accused of these incidents.

I accept he's innocent until proven guilty, but it's hardly a secret - his name is literally all over the internet and reported by several other media outlets?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here