Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just read the arguments about how easy it is to roast a chicken and it reminded me that I read this a week or so back:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...-mean-chicken-could-soon-cost-as-much-as-beef

Would the cooking instructions be the same for a street pigeon?

Shorter cooking time. Best kept caged for a week or so and fed corn - or even birdseed and breadcrumbs - to get the crap they do eat out of their system.

Seriously, roasting a chicken, boiling or steaming your vegetables and using the remains as a basis for soup isn't the answer to food poverty, but it is a damn sight cheaper the KFCs all round, via deliveroo or whoever!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
My point is that not all people have time to roast chickens. That’s why I said “try doing that after a 12 hour day”. I think that’s pretty clear even for a dumbo from Burnley. So instead of telling me to rudely shut up, maybe suggest something all round more practical?
If you want an example of something that is easy to cook for people with few cooking skills, which is after all what I was trying to illustrate, then my chicken dinner is practical.

I don't understand your obsession with people working 12 hour days? Are there no people who are unemployed and short of money? One of my occasional suggestions (which I still think would be a good idea) is free cookery lessons for anyone that needs them. Are you going to object on the grounds that they are no use to someone who works a 12 hour day?

I am not the only person on here who has made suggestions that could be helpful for some people while not helpful to other people who would need a different idea. So what? Is it a rule that if a suggestion can't help everybody, then it shouldn't be allowed to help anybody?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Shorter cooking time. Best kept caged for a week or so and fed corn - or even birdseed and breadcrumbs - to get the crap they do eat out of their system.

Seriously, roasting a chicken, boiling or steaming your vegetables and using the remains as a basis for soup isn't the answer to food poverty, but it is a damn sight cheaper the KFCs all round, via deliveroo or whoever!
Certain take away junk food is cheaper then you could make yourself because of the economies of scale.

I'm not talking about pizza (which has a ridiculous mark up) but most of the copy cat fried chicken places.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Joking aside, it’s worth noting that many, many of Britain’s poorest and most vulnerable live in bedsits, b&b’s, hostels and hotels where their cooking facilities consist of a microwave and in some cases, nothing more than a kettle.

I don’t think some people have a clue how some people live. I think some people would be absolutely gobsmacked at the shocking standards our government maintain for the most vulnerable and needy in our society. Charities have to pick up so much of the shortfall, providing bedding, toiletries, food, sanitary products etc.

It’s simply not right.

Edit. The idea that people aren’t grateful for help is also a falsehood. I’ve had to hold back tears when I’ve given women who have slept on the streets with nothing, a charity care package. Perhaps a fresh towel and some shampoo. A kitchen starter pack. For their new home. That sort of thing. They can’t believe someone cares enough. Heartbreaking.

This, this all ****ing day long. MPs with 30p meal tips and sadly unempathetic people on football forums should really get out into the real world and see how some people HAVE to, not choose to live.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Certain take away junk food is cheaper then you could make yourself because of the economies of scale.

I'm not talking about pizza (which has a ridiculous mark up) but most of the copy cat fried chicken places.

KFC for 4 costs a lot more than a chicken and a pot of veg! And delivered it's off the scale!

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
This, this all ****ing day long. MPs with 30p meal tips and sadly unempathetic people on football forums should really get out into the real world and see how some people HAVE not choose to live.
This exactly. Govt and employers can do something. Govt could stop pretending that benefit levels are enough to live on and employers could pay wages that don't need subsidizing by benefits. Or we can carry on blaming the poor for being poor.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How ****ed up have things got that [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] is seriously suggesing people live off soup for a week and [MENTION=29976]dsr-burnley[/MENTION] is suggesting that working people come home and then spend 2-3 hours roasitng a ****ing chicken...he also suggested once this is done they can make a soup. They might even be able to get some sleep before they start work again.

Wow! You think that Tories are out of touch? Listen to yourself man. If you are struggling to make ends meet you do what is necessary, not buy overpriced, low nutrition ready meals or Maccy Ds. Or maybe they should head down to one of your overpriced eateries and beg for some scraps? Pompous and entitled does not come close.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

mmm, London dirty chicken, not sure the standards we should be aiming for. reckon i could do home cooked 20 peice chicken, chips and sides for well under a tenner (oven, not fried, for healthy bonus). supermarkets do scale too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He can’t answer at the moment, he’s got a young lad in cleaning his chimney...

ken.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Wow! You think that Tories are out of touch? Listen to yourself man. If you are struggling to make ends meet you do what is necessary, not buy overpriced, low nutrition ready meals or Maccy Ds. Or maybe they should head down to one of your overpriced eateries and beg for some scraps? Pompous and entitled does not come close.

And there’s your problem, people like you, think that everyone who is struggling to make ends meet is spunking their money on fast food and ready meals!

Shameful...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
And there’s your problem, people like you, think that everyone who is struggling to make ends meet is spunking their money on fast food and ready meals!

Shameful...

If you could point out my reference to ‘everyone’, I would be most grateful.

Liar.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You’ve been away from Britain for a while, so you may not realise what is happening. I’m being kind here.
People are being asked to pay over a grand a month rent for a terraced house, with council tax over £180 a month, energy bills £400 a month, etc etc. People don’t have enough money to live on.
If anyone is unlucky enough to lose their job, it’s 6 weeks before Universal Credit is paid out. Sick pay is £70 a weeks, carers get £67 a week.
90,000 people are dying of starvation in this country every year. That figure is from Marie Curie, who have a petition to the government at the moment.
I’ll try and post a link later (not for you as I don’t a vote from Australia counts)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You’ve been away from Britain for a while, so you may not realise what is happening. I’m being kind here.
People are being asked to pay over a grand a month rent for a terraced house, with council tax over £180 a month, energy bills £400 a month, etc etc. People don’t have enough money to live on.
If anyone is unlucky enough to lose their job, it’s 6 weeks before Universal Credit is paid out. Sick pay is £70 a weeks, carers get £67 a week.
90,000 people are dying of starvation in this country every year. That figure is from Marie Curie, who have a petition to the government at the moment.
I’ll try and post a link later (not for you as I don’t a vote from Australia counts)
1 in 6 deaths in the UK is caused by starvation? I think you might be misreading the report. What the report actually says is that 1 in 6 people is living in relative poverty, and that 1 in 6 deaths are of people living in relative poverty. I don't think it mentions starvation.

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/globa...g-in-poverty/h420-dying-in-poverty-5th-pp.pdf

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
All the bollox being spoken about cooking your own chicken.

Chicken prices have gone through the roof recently, a large chicken in Tesco has risen in price by about £1 in the last month, and is still rising. A supermarket ceo( I can’t remember which one) said it will soon be as expensive as beef.

I was paying less than 20 pound for a 5 kilo pack of chicken breast about 6 weeks ago, it is now £27 a pack. Chicken is no longer a cheap meal.

A large chicken will take 2-2 1/2 hours to cook, then when cold, you would need to refrigerate it, as you would any soup you make from the carcass. If not Refridgarated you run the risk of food poisoning. The EHO recommend you refrigerate clod chicken within 2 hours of cooking. A lot of housing for vulnerable people has neither cooking facilities or refrigerators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here