Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'll simply leave your post here, with no twisting of any words

The sun is out, have a good afternoon :bigwave:

So when someone is struggling financially, what actually is so wrong in pointing out a way to make a weeks worth of soup for a very reasonable cost?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Excellent post.

Mention to a Daily Mail reader that someone is receivng social security benefts, and they'll almost certainly imagine a track-suit wearing character out of Shameless, happily unemployed and drinking booze and chain-smoking all-day while watching trash on an 80" flat-screen TV. Yet millions of people who claim Universal Credit are in-work, but have to rely on top-up welfare benefits because their wages or salaries are too low to survive on.

The 'trickle-down' of wealth the Tories prattle on about is clearly a load of b*******, as is the Tory mantra that 'hard work is the route out of poverty'; not when people are paid the same low wage or salary irrespective of how hard they work.

It the Daily Mail and other Tories were serious about reducing welfare dependency and reliance on food banks - rather than just pandering to their narrow-minded and ill-informed voter base - they'd demand that companies and employers paid their workers properly: judging by the huge profits made by many major companies (the fuel companies are a good current example), the obscene salaries paid to many CEOs, and the £ millions paid-out annually to shareholders, the money is certainly there to pay workers more, and thus reduce reliance on 'hand-outs'.

Also, if ordinary workers were paid decent wages or salaries, they would spend more in their local shops and amenities, and so boost the local economy to everyone's benefit.

But of course, to criticise companies or employers who pay poverty wages to their workers while paying eye-watering salaries to their bosses is to invite the predictable Tory allegations of being 'anti-business' and 'promoting the politics of envy'.
Excellent post from you too.

" Tricke Down " economics has led us to where we are now, more food banks than branches of McDonald's. My boss is going to plead poverty fir the next few years so no pay rises for us so as inflation increases I will just have to spend less so other shops and businesses will suffer, leading to them not getting pay rises....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Excellent post from you too.

" Tricke Down " economics has led us to where we are now, more food banks than branches of McDonald's. My boss is going to plead poverty fir the next few years so no pay rises for us so as inflation increases I will just have to spend less so other shops and businesses will suffer, leading to them not getting pay rises....

In addition to this I have witnessed a downward spiral of aspiration in smaller businesses when they've been down trodden or beaten up by the big boys and/or suffered due to a lack of income due to others hardships. . . .an inabilitiy or reluctance to take any risk or invest and just 'survive' ultimately shrinking withering and in extreme cases dieing, thereby making matters even worse.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Dominic Cummings

@Dominic2306

Junior staff told, PM's PPS is coordinating with covid taskforce to ensure all no10 events are lawful. Junior staff had reasonable expectation this happening. So how do you fine junior staff for 14/1/21 & NOT the PM *who attended* & was responsible for entire shitshow?!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
From The Guardian about the 'party' in Johnson's flat.

"Johnson has told friends he believes he will not receive further penalties, and said publicly last week he had not yet been sent a questionnaire from the Met about the leaving do of his aide Lee Cain, at which he is believed to have poured drinks.

Several sources have suggested a separate party was held on the same night, hosted by Carrie Johnson upstairs in the No 10 flat, at which Abba was played loudly. Johnson is expected to argue that while he was present at that gathering, it was only to interview a possible candidate for a job."

Interesting way to interview folk!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So when someone is struggling financially, what actually is so wrong in pointing out a way to make a weeks worth of soup for a very reasonable cost?

I think the point is that the particular piece of advice given was ... somewhat lacking in useful detail. I happen to know making a nutritious soup is quite a bit more complicated than was made out. Not particularly difficult, sure, but there's more to it than what was suggested.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How to roast a chicken: Put it in an ovenproof dish, add 3/8ths of a pint of water, put it in the oven at 200 for half an hour followed by 150 for 2.5 hours. Boil potatoes by putting them in a pan with water and boiling them. Boil veg the same way. To say that some people are incapable of doing that is an insult to those you are talking about. They may not enjoy doing it, but it isn't hard. (And at £4.20 for a medium chicken, which will also make a meal of broth later (also easy to do), plus perhaps £2 for veg, then it's not expensive.)

Nice one, now try that after working 12 hours.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
it's an incredible coincidence that so many people suddenly became incapable of cooking and budgeting around 2010

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Metropolitan Police have issued more than 50 new fines for breaches of Covid rules in Downing Street and other government buildings.

The Fixed Penalty Notices come in addition to more than 50 handed out last month, including to Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak.

In a statement, the force said its investigation "remains live". Further fines are expected to follow, but no timescale has been given.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

But it is still being covered up as to who have received those penalties for giving the finger to the lockdown regulations.

We are reliant on Johnson - a proven serial lier - to put his hand up if he gets another. As for the rest, the Met will cover up their names forever.

Those 50 new fines could have been issued to other members of the government or even our own constituency MPs. We should have the right to know. And like those who get fined for bunking the train, or others fined for lockdown offences, they should be named and shamed. If our Tory MP is one who has been fined, then we are armed with the information to kick him out come the next election. If it is a senior civil servant we can ask our MP why they are still employed.

It's all just another cover up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think the point is that the particular piece of advice given was ... somewhat lacking in useful detail. I happen to know making a nutritious soup is quite a bit more complicated than was made out. Not particularly difficult, sure, but there's more to it than what was suggested.

https://food52.com/recipes/2486-grandma-chicken-soup-canja

I wasn't really providing a recipe or trying to suggest that boiling a chicken is somehow a solution to food poverty, it was just an observation that it's possible to really stretch a food budget with a bit of knowhow.

I've posted a recipe of that soup in it's simplest form. That is absolutely a staple in my partners' family and I now make it regularly. Usually you'd add some extra veg or any leftovers that are floating around, cabbage or leafy greens are popular. Or you can do what you're suggesting and use what's essentially a stock to make what we'd consider a traditional chicken soup in the UK.

I actually remember my nan doing things like this, she never used to waste anything at all. There were always pots of dripping in her fridge and she always had lovely soups made from all the leftovers. I guess that's a result of her living through the 40s and 50s with rationing. I think my point is still valid, a lot of this knowledge has been lost in the UK and it shouldn't be controversial to suggest that it would help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How ****ed up have things got that [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] is seriously suggesing people live off soup for a week and [MENTION=29976]dsr-burnley[/MENTION] is suggesting that working people come home and then spend 2-3 hours roasitng a ****ing chicken...he also suggested once this is done they can make a soup. They might even be able to get some sleep before they start work again.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Nice one, now try that after working 12 hours.
It was an answer to a suggestion that some people aren't capable of cooking, not that people don't have time.

Besides, there are people on the breadline who don't work 12 hour days 7 days a week.

How ****ed up have things got that [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] is seriously suggesing people live off soup for a week and [MENTION=29976]dsr-burnley[/MENTION] is suggesting that working people come home and then spend 2-3 hours roasitng a ****ing chicken...he also suggested once this is done they can make a soup. They might even be able to get some sleep before they start work again.
If you can find a link to your imaginary quote where I tell people when they should cook this chicken, then please post it. Otherwise shut up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Several sources have suggested a separate party was held on the same night, hosted by Carrie Johnson upstairs in the No 10 flat, at which Abba was played loudly. Johnson is expected to argue that while he was present at that gathering, it was only to interview a possible candidate for a job."[/I]

Interesting way to interview folk!

"Why do you want to work for me?
"Money! Money Money!"
"Why should I employ you?"
"Take A Chance On Me"
"Ok, do you want the job?"
"I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do!"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that happens when you mix up suggestion to help with different circumstances. i'd go with pasta based dishes, batched cooked to avoid the cooking after work issue.

usually Germany gives a guiding light to better ways, i see they have a national "Tafel" organisation rather than charities. is cooking knowledge better and not a concern?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
https://food52.com/recipes/2486-grandma-chicken-soup-canja

I wasn't really providing a recipe or trying to suggest that boiling a chicken is somehow a solution to food poverty, it was just an observation that it's possible to really stretch a food budget with a bit of knowhow.

I've posted a recipe of that soup in it's simplest form. That is absolutely a staple in my partners' family and I now make it regularly. Usually you'd add some extra veg or any leftovers that are floating around, cabbage or leafy greens are popular. Or you can do what you're suggesting and use what's essentially a stock to make what we'd consider a traditional chicken soup in the UK.

I actually remember my nan doing things like this, she never used to waste anything at all. There were always pots of dripping in her fridge and she always had lovely soups made from all the leftovers. I guess that's a result of her living through the 40s and 50s with rationing. I think my point is still valid, a lot of this knowledge has been lost in the UK and it shouldn't be controversial to suggest that it would help.

Thumbs up on the above :). And yes - as a society i think we've very much forgotten how to make the most out of what we've got. Too many people these days will just throw away the carcass from a chicken. Or even not have a carcass at all - having instead bought a frozen crown with no bones for their roast. At the same cost as a full bird.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I suggest foraging for nuts and berries or perhaps taking that experimental enzyme they tried for the armed forces that enables humans to digest bark, leaves and grasses.how can anyone complain they are hungry when there is bark to be eaten.
I baked a pebble off the beach yesterday, was fine with some seawater to wash it down.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Joking aside, it’s worth noting that many, many of Britain’s poorest and most vulnerable live in bedsits, b&b’s, hostels and hotels where their cooking facilities consist of a microwave and in some cases, nothing more than a kettle.

I don’t think some people have a clue how some people live. I think some people would be absolutely gobsmacked at the shocking standards our government maintain for the most vulnerable and needy in our society. Charities have to pick up so much of the shortfall, providing bedding, toiletries, food, sanitary products etc.

It’s simply not right.

Edit. The idea that people aren’t grateful for help is also a falsehood. I’ve had to hold back tears when I’ve given women who have slept on the streets with nothing, a charity care package. Perhaps a fresh towel and some shampoo. A kitchen starter pack. For their new home. That sort of thing. They can’t believe someone cares enough. Heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was an answer to a suggestion that some people aren't capable of cooking, not that people don't have time.

Besides, there are people on the breadline who don't work 12 hour days 7 days a week.

If you can find a link to your imaginary quote where I tell people when they should cook this chicken, then please post it. Otherwise shut up.

My point is that not all people have time to roast chickens. That’s why I said “try doing that after a 12 hour day”. I think that’s pretty clear even for a dumbo from Burnley. So instead of telling me to rudely shut up, maybe suggest something all round more practical?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My point is that not all people have time to roast chickens. That’s why I said “try doing that after a 12 hour day”. I think that’s pretty clear even for a dumbo from Burnley. So instead of telling me to rudely shut up, maybe suggest something all round more practical?

Nuggets?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here