Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
In the latest installment of the end-of-session parliamentary ping ping, MPs have voted down changes to the elections bill favoured by the House of Lords.

In two divisions, MPs have rejected an attempt by the Lords to remove a section of the bill giving ministers the power to issue directions to the Electoral Commission, the body that regulates elections, in the form of a “strategy and policy statement”. In a third division, MPs also rejected a Lords amendment that would have expanded the list of documentation accepted under the new rule in the bill requiring voters to have photo ID.

The “strategy and policy statement” proposal has been strongly criticised by the Electoral Commission itself, the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee and the Committee on Standards in Public Life, which said it was “deeply troubled by the long-term risk to our democratic system that is inherent” in the plan.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
obviosuly there would still be a lead time, once rolling the programme should be able to deliver a dozen or so over a few years. modular reactors made off site, shipped into location that has been prepped. its certainly less than the 10-15 year cycle for a full nuke plant. if they are clever*, they'll put them on existing nuke or other power station sites to reduce a bunch of complaint and infrastructure.

*people responsbile for delivery of course. not the government, they'd want to put them somewhere for jobs.

I guess in 10-years there could potentially be a few of these up and running, I'll be very surprised if it is more than that though. But another factor is the cost, who will pay for them? Presumably cheaper than traditional nuclear power, but not cheap?

Will the private sector cough up, will Johnson's new Keynesian Tory party subsidise the cost? We don't want any unsecure investment from the Chinese, we've left the EU to take back control so no luck there, seem to be in the international relations business with Rwanda recently, maybe they could chip in?

I jest, but it's just another reason why saying he is going to build a nuclear power every year utter codswallop, as he might say himself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I guess in 10-years there could potentially be a few of these up and running, I'll be very surprised if it is more than that though. But another factor is the cost, who will pay for them? Presumably cheaper than traditional nuclear power, but not cheap?

Will the private sector cough up, will Johnson's new Keynesian Tory party subsidise the cost? We don't want any unsecure investment from the Chinese, we've left the EU to take back control so no luck there, seem to be in the international relations business with Rwanda recently, maybe they could chip in?

I jest, but it's just another reason why saying he is going to build a nuclear power every year utter codswallop, as he might say himself.

cost is under £2b a unit. at that price, the utility companies can pay for a few each year as they roll-out. this isnt Johnson's idea, he just happens to be around, its a brilliant plan from bright minds at RR.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In the latest installment of the end-of-session parliamentary ping ping, MPs have voted down changes to the elections bill favoured by the House of Lords.

In two divisions, MPs have rejected an attempt by the Lords to remove a section of the bill giving ministers the power to issue directions to the Electoral Commission, the body that regulates elections, in the form of a “strategy and policy statement”. In a third division, MPs also rejected a Lords amendment that would have expanded the list of documentation accepted under the new rule in the bill requiring voters to have photo ID.

The “strategy and policy statement” proposal has been strongly criticised by the Electoral Commission itself, the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee and the Committee on Standards in Public Life, which said it was “deeply troubled by the long-term risk to our democratic system that is inherent” in the plan.

You can tell a lot by what legislation a Government passes. So there’s a bill to rig elections, but nothing to,help the cost of living crisis.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
cost is under £2b a unit. at that price, the utility companies can pay for a few each year as they roll-out. this isnt Johnson's idea, he just happens to be around, its a brilliant plan from bright minds at RR.

The technology definitely seems to be excellent, will read up more on this. Hopefully these can be bought online promptly. However, I just read this article, which says:

"Phase 2 will be under way in about May of this year, with a view to completing GDA in about 2024, and power on grid in about 2030 for the first SMR."

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Rolls-Royce-on-track-for-2030-delivery-of-UK-SMR

Then this:

"Schedule: an SMR can be built on-site in four years"

https://assets.publishing.service.g...A_Projects_5-7_-_SMR_Cost_Reduction_Study.pdf

So, we might see the first one built and operational in 10 years, what's Johnson got planned for the meantime to keep up his building one nuclear power station a claim ontrack?!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The technology definitely seems to be excellent, will read up more on this. Hopefully these can be bought online promptly. However, I just read this article, which says:

"Phase 2 will be under way in about May of this year, with a view to completing GDA in about 2024, and power on grid in about 2030 for the first SMR."

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Rolls-Royce-on-track-for-2030-delivery-of-UK-SMR

Then this:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...A_Projects_5-7_-_SMR_Cost_Reduction_Study.pdf

So, we might see the first one built and operational in 10 years, what's Johnson got planned for the meantime to keep up his building one nuclear power station a claim ontrack?!

I’ve just got 7 solar panels, so that’s until 2029 sorted for him.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Then this:

fair enough, i gathered 2024-25 was planned for first one out.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Chancellor Rishi Sunak has said it would be "silly" to provide more support to tackle rising energy bills now, before knowing what will happen to prices in the autumn.

Households faced a 54% hike in energy costs this month, along with record-high inflation hitting their pockets.

Opposition parties have called for an emergency budget from the government to focus on the cost-of-living crisis.

But Mr Sunak said he wanted to see what happened with energy prices first.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
OK, so what easier win than insulation?

I don't think there are any easy wins, the energy situation needs attacking from every angle but with long term, realistic and achievable targets.

I'd like to see them go full tilt on renewables with nuclear backup and bring back grant schemes for solar panels, the old one was working so I'll never understand why it was scrapped. Another, better grant scheme for insulation would help for sure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think there are any easy wins, the energy situation needs attacking from every angle but with long term, realistic and achievable targets.

I'd like to see them go full tilt on renewables with nuclear backup and bring back grant schemes for solar panels, the old one was working so I'll never understand why it was scrapped. Another, better grant scheme for insulation would help for sure.
Its hilarious that Johnson likes to beat Starmer and Labour about being anti nuclear and pledges to build a nuclear power station every year...so, how many have the Tories and Johnson built in the last decade I wonder?

It's pretty much guaranteed that almost every new nuclear power station is over budget and over due time wise come completion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Its hilarious that Johnson likes to beat Starmer and Labour about being anti nuclear and pledges to build a nuclear power station every year...so, how many have the Tories and Johnson built in the last decade I wonder?

It's pretty much guaranteed that almost every new nuclear power station is over budget and over due time wise come completion.

Also I can’t imagine it being a vote winner in many of the constituencies where they’re likely to be planned. Especially if Labour play up the “built quickly, not safely” angle.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Also I can’t imagine it being a vote winner in many of the constituencies where they’re likely to be planned. Especially if Labour play up the “built quickly, not safely” angle.
Indeed, NO ONE wants a nuclear power plant anywhere near them ....any new build nuclear will require years, possibly a decade, of Public inquiries before the go ahead....even then they are rarely brought in on schedule.....hilarious!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Indeed, NO ONE wants a nuclear power plant anywhere near them ....any new build nuclear will require years, possibly a decade, of Public inquiries before the go ahead....even then they are rarely brought in on schedule.....hilarious!

right. they also want power to be on, cheap, and also zero carbon. cant do it without nuclear.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No tory meltdown incoming as far as I can see.

Even sending people 'unlawfully' back to care homes to die...

'Nothing to see here'

And so it goes.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Starmer now being investigated over lockdown rule breaking.

What is wrong with the police? Won’t investigate, then will investigate months later

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

You are right about Johnson of course, and about nuclear power stations being late and over budget (as are most infrastructure projects)...but I'd still build them in a hurry.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Rolls Royce will roll out mini ones to many towns and cities, they'll become as common as electricity substations on our housing estates 👍

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Starmer now being investigated over lockdown rule breaking.

What is wrong with the police? Won’t investigate, then will investigate months later

This has zero to do with the police “re-investigating” and is all about a desperate attempt by a desperate government to smear and cloud what they were doing to ignore the rules, they themselves set.

The letter, sent to Durham constabulary, has elicited this response from the force.

“As a courtesy, we have replied to Mr Holden to confirm we have received that letter and will consider its contents before responding in due course.”

Doesn’t sound like Starmer now being investigated to me...

Deflection, smearing, shit throwing, call it what you like, all done in the name of saving Boris Johnson’s skin and those of his cabinet colleagues who know they would be toast if their master went!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here